Turley bottles finally slim down

I’ll have to check. I never actually compared them.

A new winery, Pasxa, in the Rocks District of Walla Walla has a bottle that is even more detestable than the old Turley bottle. I could rack the old Turley bottles with no problem but these Pasxa bottles will not fit anywhere. Why do they do this??

Joe-
The new bottle is at 3.45 inches opposed to the old 3.6 inches. We also shaved over 4 ounces off of each bottle which amounts to over a drop in 3 pounds per case.
Best,
tegan

6 Likes

The new bottles fit in my regular cellar slots. The old bottles would not fit in them and had to be stored in my bulk section or with the champagne bottles.

3.5 slot is good. And I know that the weight means a lot to my retailer friends as well as many buyers. Thanks for this

Weight means a lot to this 56 year old guy who still carries around full cases of Turley!

yeah this is one of the calvados style bottles I was referring to. Super thick label paper too. Weathereye is another, though the pasxa bottles are thicker glass, deeper punted…

1 Like

Apologies for the paywall, but thought this WaPo piece from their wine writer, Dave McIntyre, on lighter wine bottles was appropriate to link here.

" There’s also the bottom line. Jason Haas, general manager of Tablas Creek Vineyard in Paso Robles, Calif., raised eyebrows when he wrote on the winery blog in early March that Tablas had saved more than $2 million since shifting to lighter bottles in 2010. Shipping accounted for more than half of that.

“It seems like we’re reaching a tipping point on moving toward lighter glass,” Haas wrote. Wineries may be changing to help the planet, “but if they’re not, there are other incentives out there. Millions of small, green, rectangular ones.”

2 Likes