U.S. Winemakers - What Overseas Wines do you Drink?

Love this question! We drink 90% Old World at home, and of that probably 60-70% is French. Germany second, followed by Italy and Spain.

All of our wines are influenced in some way by producers we admire abroad. When we choose various techniques in the vineyards and cellar, we do so with an understanding of how other folks are using those techniques, and to what ends. Winemaking as craft.

Like Marcus, I too love Riesling fermented in neutral wood, rather than stainless. I generally like the spice and texture that come from stems in the Northern Rhone and Burgundy, so we use them in varying degrees - more in Syrah (50-100%), less in Carignan (30-40%), with Mourvedre somewhere in the middle. Old vines, large format barrels, less new oak, fewer rackings - all variables that we dialed in early on based on what we liked to drink.

But, I do find that my attention shifts every couple years. Sometimes I think it’s analogous to writing: you read one author for a month and find that your writing suddenly sounds like theirs, and then it changes when you start reading someone else. I drank Riesling to the exclusion of all else initially (Donnhoff, Lauer, Koehler-Ruprecht, Keller, Becker, Shafer-Frohlich, and Willi Schafer), and then had an infatuation with Cote Rotie, Cornas, and St. Joseph (Jamet, Levet, Gonon, Gripa, Pierres Seches, Gilles, Robert Michel), followed by crunchy Beaujolais (Thivin, Tardive) and then more recently realized that I adore Saumur, Montlouis, and Chinon. I hated oxidative white wines initially but Fino has really grown on me, as has the Jura. It all makes me wonder if I’ll one day wake up and suddenly love bretty wines [shock.gif] :astonished:

You make good points, of course. I’m seeing a distinction between the tradition I work in and influence of specific wines and the specific techniques of those makers on my approach. What I’m getting at is that I don’t have any particular wines that I’m aiming for in my making. I remember talking to a wine geek about Lapierre’s Morgon and they suggested, you must make your Gamay the same way, right? And no, not at all was my answer. I was a little let down by my answer tbh. Maybe I should do more of that he does? But I don’t know anyone who’s making Gamay the way I do - not that I’m so different and better for it, rather I’m not thinking of anyone’s Gamay when I make mine. I’m following a broad tradition yes, but really I’m after what the wine is from the grapes here, in an open top natural fermentation without lots of mixing. Honestly sometimes that seems to sound stupid or anti intellectual or I don’t know. But any time I think - maybe I should do what XYZ does, I just come up blank, not inspired, feeling more karaoke than inspiration. Hope that makes sense. And I don’t mean to suggest that you or others ARE doing karaoke. Not at all, just to be clear. Rather I think we largely agree and I’m revealing a possible gap in my wine approach that time may fill in.