Ulysse Collin - what happened?

I was responding to why there are a lot fewer bottles available these days. He doesn’t allow them on WS because he’s extremely conscious of the distribution of his wines. It’s not about raising scarcity to raise prices - the prices on the wines haven’t massively increased.

Collin has been my favorite champagne producer for years, I’m following the pricing closely by buying lots of it for years.

1 Like

this all seems really counterintuitive - wouldn’t you want lovers of your wine to actually find your wine?

I just saw some on a list today (Enfers and Roises) for under $400. It’s at restaurants, but it’s great and people want to drink it.
As a Collin fan, I can’t really complain!

All of them.

1 Like

Were those on listed WS? I’d be pretty surprised if they were. That’s what I was referring to.

If you are able to just walk into NYC shops and buy lots of Collin I am delighted for you; as you know, I think they’re wonderful wines.

1 Like

Yes. You can in fact but all of those off wine-searcher and I did. I think I got a few bottles from somm-cellars that weren’t listed in wine-searcher and I just happened upon them early. There was a bottle limit so I only got one or two of each. I told three friends, some of whom bought, but the remainder were on wine-searcher the next day. I posted about it here and told Jayson Cohen when he asked via PM. Not sure if he was successful or not. But you could have gotten Enfers and Jardin d’Ulysse off the w-s listing. It wasn’t hard to buy them from listings. I’m a pretty spectacular person, but I have no advantage at buying Ulysse Collin.

1 Like

You know, this was just gratuitous. I hate people who can do this sort of thing…but it does answer the question [winner.gif]

If people can’t find it on WS, they assume it’s sold out. Then certain retailers will post it at higher pricing cause it’s not available on searches. Which then people who can’t find them online for prior pricing end up buying from these places and after a bit the pricing becomes the new normal as each new release the retailers that aren’t posting it online but offering it to their customers, start to inch their pricing up to get closer to WS low.

Tale as old as time for quite a few producers. When most people don’t know what the “release” pricing is on the wine, it tends to escalate the price in the nearish future.

2 Likes

Moussé make very nice wines and they seem to get better with every new release. They’re on my agenda to visit once I’m done with Bordeaux 19s and EP.

Thanks for the heads up! Will look forward to your review. We regular punters could use some help with these new guys.

I regularly review their wines so you can find up to date reviews on their current releases in the US market on our site. The visit will be for a deeper dive…

1 Like

I have been buying Moussé for over 5 years now. We are a household of Pinot Meunier fans, so lots of love for Moussé at our table. Didn’t bite on the rosé offer because there was another Moussé offer the day before, and I grabbed that one.

So retailers can choose to have individual wines not listed on WS?

Apparently so. I’ve witnessed it first hand. I usually check my favorite retailers website before I go downtown. When I got there, I saw they had Ulysse Collin Maillons which wasn’t on website. I noticed that also with Peters Chetillons but now I see they put it up on website - maybe wasn’t moving fast enough.

2 Likes

I too shop at MacArthur… but this sounds slightly different. They didn’t put the Collin on their website because it would’ve gotten sucked into WS automatically. No way to post to basins.con but exclude from WS inventory. The only way to know they had it would be to call Joe and ask or go there in person.

By the way, I think they just reloaded more Maillons if anyone in the DC area is still looking.

1 Like

That is my understanding.

2 Likes

This is a producer that’s been difficult for me to find the wines of. I’ve had a few bottles of the rosé, and my wife loved them. I may have to ask some of my favorite retailers to see if I can source a few bottles.

1 Like