Ulysse Collin - what happened?

I agree with you generally, but I don’t think that’s what’s happened with Collin.

Someone asked me for some champagne recommendations (<$150) and my last few UC buys were under that number so I went to W-S to look around. When nothing came up, I was surprised. That said, wherever UC still lives, does it exist under $150/btl (Perrieres/Maillions)? I’d guess not and/or not for long.

I get a few bottles of Maillons every year in Dallas.

As for Mousse, they’ve been around a while, are very good, are well priced. Todd French is a huge fan of them as well. Buy some and give it a shot. Tough to beat at $45 if you lie Meunier.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Just fired off an email.

1 Like

The Maillons definitely does, the Pierrieres mostly does as well. The Pierrieres at this point is @150. The Maillons is a much bigger production and sees less time on the lees, so there’s much more of it generally.

Already gone :frowning:

Terrific Rose Meunier. Beyond that, my favorite Meunier from Mousse is the Mon Village bottling. Also a perpetuelle, no dose.

As for Collin, oy vey. Another producer heading for bigger prices. I got a mixed case of Collin in the cellar, the Pierrieres is a lovely wine, for sure. Pierrieres and Maillons will eventually be out of my comfort zone.

1 Like

Please stop calling MacArthur it’s all gone

1 Like

Definitely hard to find. Quality is fantastic, as demonstrated by a 2015 Maillons last week.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t the intent. Why else would they do that? I can think of no other plausible reason, and it doesn’t sit well with me as a consumer. I think it’s illegal in the US, by the way, but there is no enforcement on stuff like that. In my retail days we used to get hounded to raise our prices on certain wines or take them off Wine Searcher. It was pretty annoying.

I’ve never tried his wines but I’ve got a chance to get some at 50% off these list prices. Any of these a good introduction? Or should I go for something else here?
1E87A075-6686-4B79-8F1E-0C54B7B99CA7.jpeg

1 Like

I would buy the entire Vintage section of that list if it is 50% off.

For what it’s worth, the importer/distributor in California said that Olivier told them they were only allowed to sell his wines to restaurants as of 2-3 years ago. That is only going to push the market price in one direction.

1 Like

Hayato in socal gets a fair amount of Collin and sells it for reasonable pricing

Yeah, but that hasn’t been such a smart play the last two years.

Ha…killing me

1 Like

Can you grab me some Egly?

If it doesn’t sit well with you as a consumer, you can always stop buying the wines.

1 Like

Quick question, is there a price difference between the Enfers regular and the 60 months late disgorgement version? If so, please state the prices.

1 Like

Isn’t one of the points of this thread that there is no such thing as “THE prices” for these wines when the market is not transparent?

2 Likes