Ulysse Collin - what happened?

I might have posted this on the wrong thread, there was one where someone showed a picture of multiple bottles of Ulysse Collin and he was saying that he got these at “regular” pricing and that it did show up on WS Pro, but only for a short while.

Edit: this is the correct thread, user just deleted the picture, but it was A. Gillette.

You would be surprised by the wholesale prices from the agent.

But it’s irrelevant as you can’t buy them (nor can I!)

:wink:

OK, without revealing the prices, is there a real (non-inflated) price difference between the regular and the 60 months Enfers? Just really curious, my gut tells me yes as it was harder to make / took more time.

No 60 month on the list I have. Sorry.

There generally isn’t much of a difference, if any.

Yes - that was me. And I don’t think it’s popping up on wine-searcher anymore but it’s still around. I got a six pack of the roises at normal retail markup last week and paid dearly for three of the 60-month roises this week. You can still get the ‘17 maillons, which is so-so and not gonna make old bones, but worth owning to drink right now. If someone doesn’t buy the ones at Thatcher’s soon I probably will. He’s a capitalist. I’m a capitalist. It’s just wine
Alex

Adam Smith imagining the invisible hand was inspired by someone opening a champagne cork

Are you referring to the Enfers at $495?

1 Like

Pretty impressive
A61E0842-BFAC-43CA-8D3B-73BBB2724543.jpeg
I believe I paid around $100 for these not too long ago. I’m mostly shocked at the rate of rise.

1 Like

Maillons for $300? Thought Cedric Vv was nuts. Wow.

My understanding is that Olivier @ Ulysse Collin has asked his distributors to 1. Prioritise restaurant sales above private clients, 2. Not sell online and 3. Make sure nothing ends up on wine-searcher (and actually buy stuff that’s on wine-searcher to figure out where it comes from).

This creates a situation where there is very little inventory that’s actually “buyable” online, which results in very high prices for the few that are.

I had the 16’ base Maillons a few weeks ago and it was stellar. Wouldn’t pay that much, but man is it good!

Yes to that
And also Les Pierrieres Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut

1 Like

I have some of the 16’ base 48 month Les Pierrieres but haven’t opened one yet… looking forward to it though!

1 Like

Saw an offer this morning on the base 2014 60 month enfers/roises. About $800 per bottle…

And you bought every single one of them, of course. [whistle.gif]

Nope.

I just gagged. I love the wines, but now I feel like the old fuddy duddy who says remember when🤣

It was proposed to me as “these are going very fast so please let us know as soon as you can”, which I found a little hard to believe, but given that Thatcher sold out of the 48 month @ $495, I suppose it is plausible that there are buyers at those prices.

This feels like market manipulation of the highest order.

1 Like