Uncorked on Netflix

Enjoyed it. Obviously dramatized but definitely worth the watch.

I got 99 problems, but a chard ain’t one.

Wife and I enjoyed it. Won’t change the world, but nice movie.

[winner.gif]

Although there is no nudity, there are scenes of adults in bed acting like adults in bed. I doubt your thirteen year old hasn’t seen such scenes, but you might be embarrassed to watch them with her depending on your relationship.

I’m a soft touch but found it sweet and funny; a fine balm for tough times.

Mamoudou Athie puts out some strong Adam Driver vibes.

Why? I know nothing about the movie

It’s a sappy family drama.

thx

I watched it because I will watch any and all wine movies. But I was totally unsympathetic with the main character. His father seemed to be offering him a chance to run an unlimited wine program at a well-known barbecue hotspot; in what world is that not a better wine/business/career opportunity than floundering around studying for the overrated master of wine diploma? If you could be known as the leading guy on barbecue/wine matching you’d be set.

Also, the blind tasting stuff was beyond ridiculous – nail the exact wine every time down to the producer and vintage or you’re a loser and below expectations. That is NOT how blind tasting works!

I think all the movies involving that “master of wine” crowd (like Somm, Somm II, etc. and this movie too) are running a giant con game on the blind tasting front. I bet it’s incredibly rare for any of them to nail an exact wine truly blind, but they always use selective editing to present it like it’s at least not uncommon.

I think it’s because it’s a family drama as Joe noted above
Because of that, they need to create drama
Details or reality of the situation are not important in a movie as they are in the real world

Sure but the ability to accept the premise is what makes it a good or a bad script. The scriptwriters seemed in love with the father and the son’s motivations seemed foolish, but then you were expected to identify with the son.

I guess this wouldn’t be as much of an issue if you didn’t know the wine world as well and believed that endless studying for the MW was a gateway to guaranteed fame and riches while running an innovative wine program at a well-know African-American restaurant would suck, but I couldn’t buy that.

Watched this last night with my wife while sipping a 2011 Ceritas Chardonnay. The wine was a lot better than the movie, but it was serviceable in passing the time.

It seemed pretty awkward a lot of the time. So many details that didn’t seem right.

Yes. they do judge based on the insights and process. They do seem to focus on classic regions and standard bearer producers, so I don’t think they throw many curves, like grape variety, region, producer or atypical style that are outside the box.

The whole somm thing just seems so joyless. So many people so new to wine go in for hardcore training. It seems like something that should come later, after more broad exploration.

I do know some really good blind tasters. A couple of them are hardcore Burgophiles, drinking so many a week for decades, visiting producers and so forth. That level of familiarity, and they can nail vintage, vineyard, producer a lot of the time.

It’s impossible to do that - the wine-world is too big. In a study group/class they presumably have a bunch (how many would be interesting to know) of wines to choose from and have to decide which of these they are tasting…
I’ve watched much worse films this year, but the soundtrack was the best part - opinions may vary on that :wink:

Watched this over the weekend. This is more of a family drama centered around wine. Agree this probably doesn’t do justice to tasting in real world, but its not like Dr. House can diagnose and perform just about any major surgeries and procedures there is.

One thing this movie reminded me is how whitebread my wine world is. We had a ex Clinton staffer of color join our group for a while but he disappeared. Overall, despite its flaws, we enjoyed it.

To be clear, in this movie he is studying for his Master Sommelier (without any indication he has passed the 3 levels of tests prior to starting at the Master level), and not his Master of Wine. The MS is all about providing wine service in restaurants, the MW is more like a doctoral degree and is focused around research and writing papers.

I liked it much more than I thought I would. I thought the story was a bit weak, but the acting was strong - Bill nailed it however - that soundtrack was great.