Uncorked on Netflix

Has anybody become a Master Sommelier without being a sommelier.

Do you mean without having passed the previous levels of certification, or without having worked in a restaurant? I am pretty sure the answer to both is no. That’s definitely the case for the former question, excepting maybe the first few MSs when the organization was created (I am not sure about that). One is not allowed to enter any stage of that process without already having passed all previous stages.

This was certainly not an accurate portrayal of any certification process I am familiar with. After reading some of the reviews and seeing that DLynn Proctor was involved I was hoping for more. I had to laugh when they started calling producers in the blind tasting!

That being said. Anything that can put wine in front of new consumers has to be seen as a plus for the industry. Wine consumption is and has been in decline both in the US and surprisingly in France. Young people do not look to wine for a number of reasons. For the industry it has to be concerning. Wine has a marketing issue.

Think about it. What was the last mainstream media movie, TV show, product placement you can think of that had an impact on the industry? Sideways was 2004! That had a huge impact both good and bad on the industry. Bottle Shock was 2008 and it didn’t do much. Does anyone know if the other version of this movie was ever made?

I don’t think Uncorked will do much, it just wasn’t that good. But it will probably be seen by a lot of people considering so many are stuck at home these days.

That barbecue, especially the ribs, looked so good I could smell it. Know the drill here. Tried to get Somm in 2012, no luck, tried twice. Settled for WSET diploma instead. The frustration the character had with no money to do this made a lot of sense though he was able to buy a lot of wine. That was a flaw in the movie for me.

Totally agree. I thought the blind tasting part of this movie was ridiculous. I know a master of wine here in Santa Fe who could get the varietal, maybe the year and about 1/3 of the time the producer but not the level of accuracy they were expecting in the movie.

It was a pleasant movie, decent entertainment. I think they could have done wine pairing with ribs especially in the new restaurant with the bar. I did notice he gave his Dad a bottle of Barolo.

All things being equal, I’ll take Uncorked over Tiger King #justsaying

For us it was Ok at best.

+1000

I was disappointed. I am watching more TV these days with shut-in, but it really diminished what it takes to achieve the MS. I have friends that have achieved it and others that pursue it and the movie will make virtually everyone who watches it think they can just sign up and give it ago. No mention of the years of getting through certified, advanced, before you even have a chance to sit for MS.

As mentioned several times the blind tasting was silly. They both nail chardonnay/white burg but upset that the other gets the vintage, vineyard and producer all correct. Anyone who tastes blind often loves it when that happens, but we all know it doesn’t happen that often.

cheers

I do thank you for pointing it out though-probably better than some random on netflix.

×1000

Guys were nailing producer and vintage when they barely knew what a Cote Rotie was. How realistic is that?

Look, it was a nice movie about a young man and his ambition and about the maturing of a relationship between a father and a son, but frankly last night’s episode of Modern Family presented a better and more realistic picture of how wine knowledge develops in about five minutes than this movie did in 2 hours.

As mentioned in Post #43, for a wine movie with an MS candidate as associate producer, they sure could have worked better on a lot of the terminology and pronunciation.

This part stuck out to me the most. I thought it was going to end with him and his father reconnecting and him establishing the new restaurant as a hip food and wine BBQ joint under his free reign.

Meh. Seemed unrealistic and the rap music was awful. Had the captioning on and the lyrics would make a sailor blush. I know, I know… “You kids get off my lawn” [wink.gif] But I loved the music when his parents were dancing at the club. Now THAT’S music!

This movie is weak, really weak😔

I’m glad I read the Wine Spectator article and the comments in this thread. It saved me a couple of hours of my life I wouldn’t be able to get back. It sounds like it’s a wine movie the way “Wine Country” (female attempt at “Sideways”) was a wine movie. [scratch.gif]

Bingo :relaxed:

You nailed it!

As I was watching Uncorked I kept thinking I would rather watch Sideways again. Can we get a Sideways sequel please!?!