Underrated burgundy vintages

Actually partly serious. I’ve had some good 11’s and some I would rather call, um, not so good. This is, after market, there were some good prices on these and I don’t think every wine was affected by the ladybug taint.

There are some producers whose 2011s I backfill aggressively, because the wines are drinking well now and they’re definitely underpriced. But I also think it’s very producer specific, so not a vintage to take punts with.

Oh for sure.

2001 was underrated by Pierre Rovani and overrated by everybody else. I dunno how many truly underrated vintages there really are. The PC thing to say about Burgundy is how each and every vintage is lovely in its own special little way.

Huh. I had my last bottles of 97 Dauvissat Forest and Clos this year, and felt that both of them were past best. Past bottles have been better than the vintage’s reputation implies, sure, but these bottles had seen better days, even if they were both still enjoyable. Sadly my last bottle of Clos in the cellar, and not about to be reloaded at the going rates.

A mag of 1997 Clos was epic a couple of months ago for me… But admittedly, I drink Dauvissat mainly in France. I think at least historically, the vineyard brands Dauvissat was bottled earlier than the wine for other markets and the Dauvissat-Camus label.

The year when Rudy Kurniawan leaves prison.

Hardly PC though - it’s entirely true. Basically every vintage has its moment. Catching it at the right time is the hard part.

I don’t get why people slog through a certain wine when it’s not delivering. Seems quite prevalent in burgundy drinking for some weird reason.

For red, '91 and '93 although as noted above '93 may not be underrated.

Although it was apparently an awful vintage for reds, I have found '92 to provide great value for white burgs - yet I never hear it talked up at all.

I’ve generally been buying all the 13 and 14 I can get because they are a reasonable deal compared to 15-16. The 12s are sometimes a good deal too.

I have had mixed success with 1997 white Burgs the last couple years.

Opened a stunningly fresh bottle of 1997 Forest under the Dauvissat-Camus label (bought in Massachusetts) a few months ago. Very pure and clean.

1997 Boudin Fourchaume has decent flavor but was a bit sherried and tired.

I have one more 1997 Bongran. The last bottle was tired, but I’m hopeful as others have had better luck. I have it on tap for this fall. (By contrast, 1996 out of bottle and magnum the last couple years ago has been outstanding. No more in my cellar.)

Other than that in 1997 white Burg, I’m down to my last bottle of Fichet Tesson, also on tap for the right occasion.

92 whites: Highly touted on release but the CW that they were fat and would be early drinkers has proven wrong for many wines.

Good 92 reds were underrated back in the day. Had a quite a few for cheap in the late 90s. Not sure how they are drinking now, but they are hard to find.

Anyone had lesser 01 grand crus lately?

Can’t agree that 2001 was almost uniformly overrated.

Not sure what your definition of lesser Grand Cru is … but I have really enjoyed 01 Lambrays in past year.

On 01 top end, Gibourg Clos de Vougeot, Dujac CSD and Rousseau Clos de la Roche have been outstanding. My preference in that order …

Agreed.

What is a lesser grand cru??? I have had a decent number of 2001 Grand Crus over the years, but am not sure how to answer your question.

I could write a long list … but for now

2012 (better than 2013)
1992 (not generally, but there are some great wines)
1979 (often better than 1978)

Hm, I like both 12 and 13 but I feel like the pricing are much higher than 13.

Pricing on 91 reds have exceeded 90 and 93 so it is difficult to say they are underrated. Also very difficult to find.

As for 92 reds I’ve had some excellent bottles from the top producers. Drinking perfectly right now for my tastes.

Regarding 01 reds, I feel they still need a little more time. 00s are drinking in the zone now and in some instances may have room to improve,