Underrated burgundy vintages

1979 (for reds, haven’t had whites recently enough to know).

I think “lesser grand crus” means cortons, charmes chambertin (and mazo) and maybe mazis and latricieres - at least that is what i think the OP was referring to.

For me 2007. Haven’t been wowed so far by any 2008s.

I guess to some extent it depends on whether we’re limiting ourselves to vintages that are underrated currently or ones that have been underrated in the past.

1991s were underrated following 1990 thought eventually many (esp. in the CdN) turned out much better than the preceding vintage. As with 1993 that’s unfortunately no longer much of a secret.

For me 1993 is different … I think it was slightly overrated early on - and still is. It’s a good to very good vintage, but not a really great one, although there are some great wines.
(all imho)

Nah, it’s silly. There are still plenty years you can sit out and not miss anything important. And even some that are just bad. Regardless, the point isn’t whether the idea is true or not. The point is that as long as that’s what everyone’s saying, there ain’t never gonna be an “underrated” vintage. Welcome to Lake Wobegon, where all vintages are above average.

I can see how being wrong is humbling. [cheers.gif]

Yeah lesser I meant chapelle chambertin, mazis, etc.

Personally I think 2010 is underrated. Of course, everyone loves it, but it may well be the greatest vintage of my lifetime, and I am not sure it is being recognized as such.

My opinion is that both of these things are true in their own way. If you follow a good producer year in and year out, you may well appreciate every vintage in its own way. If you are cherry picking vintage/producer combinations, then you may as well choose to sit out entire vintages too.

Cut my teeth on the 69/70/71/72 vintages. I remember the 1970s as being very pretty wines at that 6-8 year age. Had a lot of '70 Hospice de Beaune wines available at very cheap prices back then (I must have drunk 2-3 cases of the Corton Dr. Peste '70) -

So what are the pros/cons for 2005 and 2010?

2013 reds are the smartest.

2017, 2008, 2001

If one looks at vintages of the last 10-15 years only in comparison with each other, of course all of the vintages cannot be above average. But, if one looks at the vintages of even the last 20 years in comparison with other vintages over a much longer period of time, my guess is that well over half of the more recent vintages are above average. I would say that over the last twenty years there have been at least three great vintages (1999, 2005 and 2010), only one horrible vintage (2004), another vintage that is pretty mediocre (2011) and a vintage that is really mixed - from fabulous wines to wines out of balance (2003). While the styles of the other vintages can vary a lot, there are a lot of really nice wines from each of those vintages. Compare with the 1970s, for example - see 73, 74, 75, 77.

The ultimate verdict is far ahead … some are still waiting for the greatness of 93 … in vain …

Whether you like them or not 2004 has to be one of the most underrated vintages. I just looked at a vintage chart and it was the lowest rated vintage in the last 20 years and thought to be a disaster. I have had many excellent wines from 04 and wish that I had purchased more when they were selling for next to nothing especially with 05 coming after.

Well, 2005 is a dense beast of a vintage, and I am not sure when if ever the wines will be ready to drink. I am not convinced it has the elegance or complexity of many corresponding 2010s, although it might last longer than 2010 in the cellar. For me it is not really a close comparison, but I know that 2005 is a well-regarded vintage by many and this is just my subjective, anecdotal view.

You are the first person I’ve seen say: I wish I would have purchased more 2004 reds. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I still have a decent number as it’s my oldest son’s birth year. But such a crap shoot.

We could do a horizontal in the City. I’m sure NY/NJ folks here would clamor to attend!

Completely off topic (in Disorderly fashion): I found a Blue Note Thad Jones / Mel Smith reissue on vinyl from 1975 (double album) in good condition at a random musical instrument store with two boxes of records from the ‘60s to ‘80s sitting out front, in Hanalei, Kauai, last week. Couldn’t resist forking out the $10 for it.

That all said, I don’t think 2010 is underrated. I think almost everyone who loves red Burg believes it’s a great vintage. And one that seems to have the structure to drink well relatively young (surprisingly open today) and age well, as opposed to vintages like 1993, 1999, and 2005, which shut down hard and stayed that way. I’ve been wowed by basically every recent 2010 I’ve had.

Love the off topic Blue Note comment! Love Thad Jones.

Would love to do a 2004 tasting. Mugnier and Truchot are two that come to mind that made excellent wines in 2004. I have loved every 2004 Truchot I have had better than any 2005 Truchot.