Upcoming chartreuse shortage?

Well it has finally come to be. I can’t find the green elixir anywhere. Makes me think I should load up on olive oil

Some random places have it but Columbus looks like just one store

Yep…I haven’t searched that hard, but the two local places I’ve had success with over the past year or so haven’t had it on the shelf in a while. Luckily I stocked up and have 2.5 bottles of Green and 1.5 bottles of Yellow.

1 Like

A mournful farewell

1 Like

Found a local bottle of Green (regular) and grabbed it. But it’s definitely become a “dusty bottle” search at this point.

Hello everyone
I found a very special bottle in the wine cellar of my grandfather. Can you give me advice about the price for that bottle?
[Yellow Chartreuse VEP 1964 Voiron - Pères Chartreux, 100 Cl]

Thank you!

That’s a special find that would be very desirable to many these days. I think they started VEP in 1963. Prices have only been going up for old Chartreuse the last 5-10 years.
A Quick Look from auctions seems like your bottle has sold for 2 to 5k in the past couple of years. Auctions can be funny like that.

I came by here to say that Chartreuse is officially unavailable in Ohio now. Just when they said last year we would be getting VEP the whole system crashes. I’m out of regular so a trip to a nearby state might be in order.

1 Like

I’ve never seen the VEP in Ohio–but did stock up on the green and one bottle of the yellow.

Nicely done. I dont believe we ever got it, but it was loaded into the finder. The Monks were just teasing us :laughing:

I found a place online today in Alsace that says they ship to 100 countries…they have some cool stuff but no reply yet.

None in PA per the Commonwealth’s robust search feature.

Thanks for looking that up Tom.
Lots in NY even on WS, but I’m wondering if there are dusty ones in WV or even rural NY. Might even find a 1964 there too lol

I had a guy who would trade me Pappy for Saxum back the day (08-10?) and he was sourcing from rural NY somewhere. News spreads fast these days though.

I didn’t post this here, but in another thread. I had a corked bottle of VEP. Has anyone else experienced that in a liqueur? I tried the plastic wrap trick with mild improvement, but now I worry about chemicals that may have leached out of the polyethylene. As much as I hate to do it, I might pour it out and open another bottle.

Has anybody ever tasted ~10 yr old chartreuse next to a current VEP?
I have a lead on some that’s priced about what msrp of VEP used to cost, but I’m not sure that’s a 1:1

If VEP is aged 8-20 years and standard is 3-5 then theoretically it should add up favorably. I’m not sure of the conditions the monks age the VEP in though?

Paging @Phil_T_r_o_t_t_e_r

1 Like

I have tasted 10 to 20 years old regular Chartreuse held in cellar. It never came close to VEP.

I’ll try to get more info as to why from the friend of a friend :slightly_smiling_face:

After reading up a bit. Seems like the VEP is selected to continue to age in the 600l barrels further, so I guess that would explain it.
Will probably continue the hunt for more VEP then.
Buying something 10 years old does get you a jump that much closer to being 30 years, but the price seems steep for that.

1 Like

A good friend of mine who sells Chartreuse decided to stip because of price hikes and volume requirements. He started selling La Gauloise instead. The yellow is better than Chartreuse but the green and Nectar des Druides don’t stack up. PSA.

1 Like

I was very tempted by a 3cl pour of Une Chartreuse for €160 in Lyon but decided it was already a little late in the evening…

Every convenience store here in Savoie has the ‘basic’ bottles.