Upcoming Saxum Release

2019 Broken Stones ($98)
2018 Hexe ($148)
2019 Paderewski Vineyard ($98)
2019 Heart Stone Vineyard ($98)
2018 Rocket Block ($148)

magnum of 2019 Broken Stones ($196)
magnum of 2018 Hexe ($296)
magnum of 2019 Paderewski Vineyard ($196)
magnum of 2018 Rocket Block ($296)

Excited as always for the release!

Does anyone have any intel on how ‘19 is shaping up in Paso? From what little I was able to track down, it seems promising.

In

Glad to see no price increase.
From Saxum IG, the magnum bottles will now have the raised SAXUM emblem on the bottle - like a papal crest on Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

i uh…got off the waitlist in autumn 2020 and the emails have continued to hit my spam folder. my friend mentioned Saxum today and i searched to see how my waitlist was going and…well…oops? :smiley:

1 Like

I like to age mine but my son-in-law wants one to drink young.
Which one?

IMO G2 drinks well young.

Especially 2017 if you have one

I do.
But g2 is not on this offer.

The answer is “another severe hit to my credit card.” BUT I had a 2008 Broken Stones for Father’s Day and although I may now be buying wine for my not very deserving children, I am probably all in. Has anyone had The Hexe or the white wine? I have not opened mine yet.
[/quote]
Had the 16 The Hexe last fall and is was fantastic, multi-colored and multi-flavored party in your mouth!

'16 was the first release of the hex right?
i know you said it was last fall, assuming you decanted-for how long

Had the 18 Saxum white a couple months ago with some wine group friends, the other white was a 16 Grand Cru Chablis. iirc the Saxum was double decanted with maybe an hour in the decanter before going back into the bottle to be chilled. It was terrific! Would not argue against laying it down for a while. But if opening early treat it like a young red and give it some air.

1 Like

The offer/release hasn’t happened yet, so you’re in luck! Offer goes live July 13th, at least that’s why my email notes.

we decanted it in our glasses, LOL and not for long

1 Like

The 2016 Hexe was the first release. I bought the 16 but have not opened it yet. Glad to hear the positive note.
I passed on the 17 and now on the fence with the 2018 Hexe ($148).
The 2018 Rocket Block ($148) is also being offered and I need to try to manage my wine purchases.

the 18 Hexe appears to have different grape components than 16/17…interesting…

I’ve been in the waitlist for 3-4yrs (so I likely have another 4-5yrs to go), but luckily a friend offers me a few bottles from his allocations each year.

For those with more experience, how do you view Saxum’s extended barrel age offerings…Rocket Block, Hexe and Bone Rock? Any of them more consistent/more unique than the others? I know Bone Rock isn’t in this offering, just curious of how to view the three and how to prioritize.

Care to share the differences please?

1 Like

Per Dunnuck:
2018 Hexe is 43% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre, 13% Graciano, and the rest Syrah and Petite Sirah

Saxum Notes:
2017 THE HEXE – 58% Grenache, 27% Mataro, 11% Petite Sirah, 4% Tempranillo
2016 THE HEXE – 56% Grenache, 13% Petite Sirah, 10% Syrah, 9% Mataro, 7% Zinfandel, 5% Tempranillo

2 Likes

Saxum, for me at least, is one of those wines for which QPR is an irrelevant concept. It is a luxury in which I willingly partake. I do a lot of cooking at home and given the choice between a good prime sirloin from Costco that I cook on the Big Green Egg plus a Saxum chaser, versus steak at a local restaurant plus a bottle I bring plus corkage, I will gladly save the money and eat at home with better wine. And I do not have to give the waiter a tip.

2 Likes