UPS Has Gone Berserko...

But the others don’t use those beater white vans that On-Trac does.

In our area, UPS has a big facility in Fairfield, and IIRC, most shipments out of the Napa Sonoma area route out of these. Since COVID, sometimes packages sit there for weeks. A present I ordered in early November just arrived on my doorstep yesterday after taking a long vacation in Fairfield. I suppose at this point it can be a valentine’s day gift- wrapped in Christmas paper

Fedex package…
Released at 6am yesterday… in PARIS
11pm (last night paris time) clears export customs at Charles De Gaulle
8pm (last night memphis time) arrives in Mempthis
1am clears import customs

4am this morning it leaves Memphis
6:30am, arrives Seattle
8am on truck for delivery

It’s astonishing when it works, how quickly they can move stuff around the globe. It did cost a pretty penny for the shipping, but damn if that ain’t fast…

I have absolutely loved GSO of late. My shipment left K&L Monday afternoon in CA and arrived at my doorstop shortly before noon on Tuesday in Las Vegas. They have been very reliable throughout the pandemic

It’s not just wine. I just bought a condo in Naples, FL. I’m closing today actually. It’s a brand new turnkey condo, but I wanted to replace the toilet that was in my master bathroom. I’m not sure if any of you are familiar with Toto toilets, but I wanted one of those. In any event, I ordered one from a local company here in Naples and he said that they come from Michigan and they get sent out within 24 hours. I ordered the toilet on December 30th and it was supposed to go right to my condo so they could install it. I figured because of the holiday a few extra days would get added, but it just showed up yesterday. The thing went from Michigan to South Carolina, to Georgia, to Orlando, to Fort Meyers, which is where their sorting center is I guess.

It’s my understanding that FedEx and UPS are handling a volume of packages right now that they were expecting between 2025 and 2030, based on growth of internet sales and so on. So to say they are behind on infrastructure would be a vast understatement.

Delayed deliveries, banged up boxes and lack of timely and accurate tracking data now regular and experienced with FedEx and UPS.
Missing the good old days–was that just a year ago?

We had one shipped from Napa before Christmas via FedEx, gets to NJ, sits in Newark for two days, goes to Indianapolis and then back to Newark for delivery

My UPS tracking today/Thurs says “Out For Delivery”…in Monroe Township, NJ !!
Feel for that driver…he’s gonna have to drive at WarpSpeed 10 to get it here to LosAlamos today.
Tom

Re-route to my house in NJ.

1 Like

I fortunately haven’t had any issues, other than a snarky UPS guy every time wine is delivered (some variant of “you guys must be REALLY thirsty!” or “what do you do with all this wine I bring you?” literally every time he drops off a package).

It’s FedEx, too. Shipped 2 cases to a restaurant. They’re twinned packages, one master shipment, i.e. should never be separated. One gets delivered swiftly, the other one goes on a trip around NorCal, sits in a warehouse for over month only to finally get returned as “unable to deliver”. I spoke to restaurant owner he said “we’re here every day, nobody has even attempted”. Guess who gets to et the shipping? [swearing.gif]

So I just talked to a Service Rep (a real person). She advises me the package in Monroe Township NJ is out for delivery and will be delivered today
to me in White Rock NM. Uhhhh…sure!! And her accent was so thick I could barely understand her.
The UPS shipping saga continues.
Tom

Jesus… [soap.gif]

You lucky sod: Speedy Gonzalez himself will speedily transit the time zones to deliver your precious cargo!
I don’t think Mr. Zip

himself could be faster!

What happens to your returned wine that sits in a warehouse for over a month?

In the winter time, I’m not too worried about re-circling them into the eco system after some rest, but in summer I would have to replace them.

Tom, my wine shipments through UPS are off. What should have come 2nd day air took 2 weeks to deliver with no explanation from UPS. These came from an Oregon winery that is always spot on in delivery.

Don’t even get me started on UPS/FedEx!! I find FedEx more reliable than UPS, but I have had problems with both companies, whether it is wine or other merchandise. A 2-Day overnight took over 2 weeks, at an additional cost, which UPS said “We are not honoring the guaranteed timeframe and not refunding due to the pandemic” to which I say, then don’t charge extra, just make it all Ground! I think if you pay extra in reliance of a specific timeframe and they breach on their end, then there are damages on their side, to which they should refund, pandemic or not, but what do I know, I am just a nurse, lol! Anyway, I have had zero and I mean zero problems with GSO/GLS. I choose them everytime it is available, usually for less than Ground with the other 2 companies.

on the other hand, a package I sent UPS on Tuesday by regular delivery arrived in NC yesterday. Just can never tell

One hack that I’ve used with great success on stuck shipments. Reroute to an OnSite, UPS store or carrier service hub. I imagine in such cases, someone must physically locate and relabel the package. Works nearly every time.