UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

A lot of the time, if there’s a shipping problem, I’ll let the seller know. If the seller shipped the wines in the heat without getting my authorization or at least notifying me, I’ll except them to accept a return of those bottles and give me new ones that are properly cared for or just refund my money. If it seems like more of the shipper’s fault (e.g., they misroute the package), I’ll still let the seller know what happened and that I’m disappointed, but I’ll generally leave it up to them to decide if they want to try to get the shipper to make it right, make it up to me even though it’s not their fault, or just use the information to hopefully have a better chance of preventing the same thing from happening in the future.

My experience has been that ground packages just come when they come. If you send a package via FedEx Express or UPS 1-day or 2-day Air, they come when they’re supposed to. AFAIK, those services are still guaranteed, and they owe you a refund if they don’t hit the delivery window whereas ground services are not guaranteed and delivery dates are just “estimates.” Guess which packages get priority when there’s not enough room on a delivery truck…

I’ve been having shops/wineries hold my bottles until I get to 6 or 12 and then biting the bullet and paying for shipping via air (Napa to East Coast is about $100/case). So far I’m at 100% on time delivery to my house, offsite storage and beach house in 3 different states (there’s no knock on wood emoji but pretend I put it here). For stuff I don’t want shipped as quickly, I’ve also been taking advantage of Domaine’s pick up service. At $40/case, it gets the wine across the country at 55F … just very slowly.

I never knew you could reroute delivery to drug stores. I understand ups/FedEx stores but that’s news to me.

I tried ups my choice after the first failed attempt and it wouldn’t let me do anything cuz no delivery attempt happened yet. I can now reroute only to the UPS distro hub which according to Google Reviews have recently been slammed with 2-4 hr lines.

Sigh

Since my wife and daughter are home I have had a few shipments from new wineries shipped to the house. Just now Fedex delivered a case (daily drinkers). The driver knocked a few times and waited at least 2-3 minutes since I had just finished taking a shower. FedEx is tops in South Florida!!!

+1

How do you set that up. I went into delivery manager but couldn’t find that option to default delivery there

What I do is i have it shipped directly to walgreens fedex location from the start. Not a reroute. In the shipping information I put my full name, address I enter in Walgreens and their address.

Once walgreens has it, i get email notification from fedex and an automated phone call.

First off, great advice on the Walgreens and Fed Ex stores redirect for Fed Ex shipments. There is no extra fees assigned wineries to do it which is a great thing. If you redirect from business to home addresses, there will be additional charges levied, often times eaten by the wineries but stuff we hate to do if we don’t have to.

It’s a bummer that UPS does not have that same type of relationship with a retailer - perhaps they will in the future. The My UPS app is a good one to use to take back some control here.

The bottom line and reality here is that shipping of wine has become more challenging these days with the sheer number of packages being shipped via both UPS and Fed Ex. No matter how many drivers are hired, they are dealing with unprecedented numbers of packages - and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

I’ve had to explain to customers to have a bit more patience these days with either company. Fed Ex Ground has become a bit more unpredictable - 4-5 day shipments have now regularly become 6-7 day shipments, and notices are not always given upon attempts of delivery. With ‘contactless deliveries’ these days, liberties are being taken - but again, I think everyone needs to show more patience here.

As others have also noted, you can pay the extra $$$ to get 2nd Day or 3rd Day delivery, and I have had no issues with those being delivered on time. They are costly, but if it’s that important your wine gets delivered when you want it to, pay the extra $$$.

At the end of the day, the shipping companies and drivers are doing the best that they can, but they are simply being overwhelmed - and they are not given wine any more ‘importance’ than they are delivering food supplies, masks, etc . . .

Cheers!

Interesting? Do you setup this with Walgreens ahead of time? This is such new information.

No. So when you make your purchase with the wine shop or winery tell them to ship it to your Walgreen address and put your name as the recipient.
John Doe
Walgreens
1234 street
City, State Zipcode

Just make sure your Walgreens location does FedEx dropoff. I am not sure if all Walgreens allow this.
The pickup person’s name must match the recipient’s name on the shipping label in order for you to pick it up at Walgreens.

Regarding getting notification via email and phone call, I’m not sure if I get that because I have a FedEx account. It’s free to create a FedEx account if you want to try that.

Thanks =)

For those who are interested here’s a webpage that talks about it:

UPS & CVS partnered in 7/2019 as well.

But it does appear that I can’t redirect my pkg to a CVS.

Yep. It’s not as receiver friendly as Fedex.

Also most of the time UPS doesn’t let you re route until there’s a failed delivery the first time.

Yes that sounds familiar. I thought there was a for fee service that allows you to redirect in Transit or hold for pickup, etc

Go to your local UPS store and rent the cheapest box they have. Then have all of your wine deliveries sent to you UPS box. There will never be a missed delivery. The staff will accept your deliveries and store them under good conditions until you come pick them up. You don’t have to worry about being home, being on vacation or your wife discovering what you bought. My UPS store never closed during the pandemic. If you do have have something sent to your home and there is a missed delivery, immediately get on the website and redirect it to a business - UPS Store, Walgreens, whatever. When you choose “redirect” you’ll get options.

Correct, if wines are coming UPS you can’t redirect to an access point aka CVS or whatever, like you can redirect Fedex to Walgreens. UPS only allows hold for pickup at Customer Centers. You can ship direct to a UPS Store if you have a mailbox there. And some UPS stores allow you to ship direct to them without renting a mailbox for a small fee. I pay $5 for each shipment held, don’t rent a box. But they get a little testy about it sometimes

Agree with Larry. I see that people get frustrated these days. Ground, as Larry said, is completely overwhelmed these days. At my FedEx they limit dropoffs to 2 packages, that’s how bad it is. The guy there says they’re 1.5x more busy every day of the week than the busiest Christmas day! Ground packages can easily take up to a week to arrive. When I ship east, I’ve been a little less worried as the weather has been cold, but here on the Pacific side, it can be very challenging. I’ve shipped a few in a low temp lull only to find that they take much longer to arrive and end up having a day or two in higher temps, with customers getting a little frustrated. Not much one can do, unfortunately. I’ve been sitting on a few packages destined for Vegas - not sure there will be an opening at all.

Wow I guess do i kinda sound like an entitled consumer.

I get it that things are backed up, when things are delayed and not on delivery truck and take a few days to get here I get it. I guess what frustrates me the most is when tracking shows they were either in my complex and lied or supposed to show up and dont. Just say it’s scheduled to be delivered on X day so I’m not waiting at home all day to hear a knock on the door or something. Worse yet, don’t say you attempted and nobody was home … and hold my package for an additional 2 days.

Yes, it’s happened multiple times that “delivery was attempted” when we were home all day. That’s not cool.

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Your location is listed as LAX, so I just checked the temps over the last several days in that general area, and the predicted temps over the next couple of days. And things could be worse. I agree that 3 days driving around in a UPS truck isn’t great…but I’m not convinced that the wine was in a truck more than a day, maybe two. Assuming UPS ‘fudged things’ in their conversation to you (about making a drop off attempt) then that works in reverse as well (i.e. UPS delaying putting it in a truck until they hear from you, so they can maximize what they’ll actually deliver). Course, if you have multiple ups attempted delivery tags at your door, I might think differently, but sounds like that’s not true.

Anyways, my guess is UPS made one delivery attempt, so one day in a truck, and the rest in a UPS warehouse, when the temps look ok…not like in temp controlled storage, but not bad either (assuming my assumptions are correct, of course).

My guess is the wine is in ok or better shape…if some other opportunity, regarding this situation, doesn’t present itself, then I think the wine will be in good shape for drinking in the next year…probably longer, but I’d drink it in a year to be on the safe side. Ceritas makes well structured wines, which is always a bonus in cases like this.

Hope everything works out for the best!

Trying to deal with this whole Denegoce shipping debacle… When I look up the tracking number on UPS My Choice, the “manage your delivery” link only gives you the option to reroute the package if you have an InfoChoice number from a failed delivery. From the rest of the thread it sounds like either the shipper has to enable that feature, or you need to pay for the “premium” UPS Choice membership? Is that correct? These days, UPS will end up dumping the box on the porch of the place I used to live at (among other problems, Denegoce never updated the address after I asked them), and it will promptly be stolen-- there won’t be a “failed attempt”.