Used a rice cooker for the first time last night

Obviously you didn’t see my post above [shock.gif]

That is the one I’m looking at. I understand you to say you really like it? Thanks for this thread.

Well, that wasn’t a childhood thing for me. I get it, though.

Assuming you need rice for 2-3 people it’s perfect. For 2 you have just enough left to make some fried rice later in the week.

So far I’ve only used it for jasmine white rice (perfect) and rolled oat oatmeal (eh).

In this thread somebody (I didn’t take the time to look) mentioned one model didn’t seem to offer a minimum quantity cooked. That was a concern I had so I emailed the Zojirushi and below is there response as to what models have have as there minimum quantity:
Minimum Amount of White Rice you can cook;

NS-XBC05: 0.5 CUP
NS-XAC05: 0.5 CUP
NS-XBC05: 0.5 CUP
NS-VGC05: 0.5 CUP
NS-LAC05: 0.5 CUP
NS-GBC05: 0.5 CUP

NP-KAC10: 0.5 CUP
NP-HBC10: 0.5 CUP
NP-HTC10: 0.5 CUP
NS-WAC10: 1 CUP
NS-WPC10: 1 CUP
NS-DAC10: 1 CUP
NS-TGC10: 1 CUP
NS-ZCC10: 1 CUP
NS-YAC10: 1 CUP

NS-WAC18: 2 CUPS
NS-TGC18: 2 CUPS
NS-ZCC18: 2 CUPS
NS-YAC18: 1 CUP
NP-KAC18: 1 CUP
NP-HBC18: 1 CUP
NP-HTC18: 1 CUP

After working like a charm for a few years, My Zojirushi 10cup suddenly started making gooey gelatinous rice while set to WHITE NORMAL. I switched to a different rice, I cleaned the seals, I even cut back on water. I’m doing my typical 2C portion so it’s not that.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good start for juk.

Did you clean the vent? Insufficient airflow is the only thing I can think of.

I’ll try it, thx

Agree on the Zojirushi - wife was a skeptic but now won’t make rice any other way. Pour in the ingredients, hit a button, walk away - come back when it makes a noise and it’s perfect, every time.

Love the timer for steel cut oatmeal - add oatmeal, water, pinch of salt, cinnamon and two Small Trader Joe’s mixed nuts and raisin snack packs before you go to sleep. Set timer for one hour before breakfast and wake up to perfectly cooked hot oatmeal. The overnight soak and slow cooking infuses the raisin flavor throughout, needs no or minimal additional sweeteners. Apple or banana chunks work too.

Does yours come out with the grains easily separated or more a sticky/glutinous type? I got a fancy cooker (Cuckoo brand) and for the life of me cannot get a nice non-sticky rice out of it. I’ve tried all the different settings, numerous brands of rice, different types of rice and preps and all come out basically the same. You can almost cut it into slices in the bowl.

It’s more glutinous and sticky. You can see the grains, but they all stick together.

Use jasmine rice. Take note of how much water you add, and keep scaling back until you get the desired consistency.

Each bag of rice will be different. It’s the nature of rice. I was in charge of making it as a kid and I’d do this every time we opened a new bag.

Rinsing the rice 3-4 times before cooking it will get rid of much of the starch and separate the grains. Same goes for jasmine rice. Sticky mess solved.

Yeah, I usually used jasmine and with shortages recently I had switched to a short grain. We actually blamed the rice until we switched back to jasmine and it repeated.

And yeah, I probably rinse more than that even. I do it until it’s not milky.

I’ve used Jasmin, Basmati, Medium, Sushi, Long, and even Black rice. All the same, I am starting to think it is either faulty or my expectations are wrong.

This is unlikely to be the issue but one day I thought hey, I’ll use the cup markers in the bowl of the rice cooker and save getting a real measuring cup out. My rice kept coming out soggy and too sticky and wet. Wife complains I deny any errors in measuring. After a few more of these poor batches I showed her what I was doing and we then used a real measuring cup to calibrate. It was quite a bit different and now everything is fine when using the real measuring cup. Besides any lessons here in my wife being right I’ll post this just in case anyone else was this silly in measuring the water to add.

I bought the Aroma that Cook’s rated highly, used it for a while, then gave that to my son and got the next model up that has a few more settings. Picked it up at Sam’s for ~$27. Rice comes out great. I use it for basmati, jasmine sushi all with consistent results. The sushi took a bit of fiddling, but comes out better than i made without a rice cooker. Also use it to do mixes like Zatarains for dirty rice etc. Works great for brown rice especially. Even though it doesn’t have a “grits” setting, it makes great grits. For stone ground or local heirlooms, I pick the oatmeal setting and repeat a few times. Only requirement is to use a silicon covered whisk to work the grits.
As it is just a set and forget, it works great for meal prep as i just ignore it.

I use 1 1/2 cups liquid to 1 cup of rice for long grain. That has also helped make a drier grain. Shorter grain needs more liquid.

I don’t know how to help you then. Good luck with that.