Used a rice cooker for the first time last night

Ok, sold on Zojirushi. Probably about 5-6 cup size. Is the expensive fuzzy logic one worth the price? What model is recommended? Help needed.

I’ve had a Zoji for years and it’s great. I’ve tried to google “flavored rice in a rice cooker recipes” (e.g. rice pilaf) with very little success. Any suggestions?

I have the basic 3 cup NP gbc05 (no fuzzy logic) which works perfectly. I’d be curious to hear from anyone who has the more advanced model if they see a difference as I would expect them to add a feature only after extensive testing.

Though since mine has worked perfectly for 6+ years I expect it will probably be a long time before I’ll need a replacement.

How NOT to make rice…the commentary is hysterical.

I’ve seen the “finger” technique but I don’t really know the mechanics of it. Could someone explain in detail?
that being said, I usually make brown rice in a PC as it cooks a lot faster. I would like to use the finger technique for white rice cooked on the stovetop.

Okay, that was pretty funny.

What I’ve gleaned from my Asian partner…

Add the amount of rice you want to cook to the rice cooker.
Rinse the rice so the rice is no longer cloudy. (I usually agitate the rice a bit with my hand…usually this takes 3-4 rinses, depending on the rice you buy)
Make sure teh rice is level across the bottom of the pot.
Rest your index finger on top of the rice and add cold water until it hits your first knuckle.
Start rice cooker.

Zojirushi is pretty firm on using their measuring cup for the rice and the water. I wouldn’t use the finger technique for their rice cookers.

I agree with Uncle Rodger, especially the thing about MSG on babies. champagne.gif

the missing part of my knowledge was where the finger rests… thanks

I have a 25 year old fuzzy logic 5 cup Zojirushi. It is so old that they no longer make parts for it. The battery is shot and the clock needs to be set every time the cooker is plugged in. It still makes perfect rice every time. It is really foolproof. Wash starch from rice (Jasmine is my favorite). Measure with the included measuring cup and add water to the appropriate line marked inside the cooker. Turn on. Wait. Done.

I have a NS-LAC05 3 cup. I’ve had it since January 2014. Use it literally everyday for Steel Cut Oats programmed the night before. I see the new ones say ‘steel cut’ mode, the old ones say porridge. They use to have a heat induction model that was suppose to be better, especially if using it for making more complex meals. But, the price was double (mine was around $130).

The bowl inside can scratch very easily. Always use a wooden or plastic paddle. Clean very carefully. The dang bowl is $60. Also, makes funny music when rice is done-easily shut off! I love my zojirushi!

I’d buy a Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker from Amazon, which is the multiple generation successor to the model I own. At $158.99, it costs well less than half of the price of mine, which I bought pre-Amazon from a local Japanese grocery store.

My Zojirushi Fuzzy Logic is my favorite cooking device by far. I never knew I needed a rice cooker and now if it broke (which I’m sure it never will) I’d replace it in a heartbeat. My favorite part is how I can dump rice in whenever I have a free minute during the day and it is still basically perfect at dinner time.

That’s hilarious!
And I agree. I have NEVER seen anyone drain and rinse rice AFTER cooking. That was a ton of water left in the pot! Yuck!

At one time we were renting a house that was for sale. One day there was a showing that somehow we weren’t alerted about, so we just kind of got out of the way and let them walk through anyways. On the way out I asked them what they thought and the only reply was “Nice rice cooker”. Zojirushi‘s rule.

What is wrong with just ordering carry-out? neener

That’s only for noodles.

What is wrong with just ordering carry-out? > neener

Eight quid for egg fried rice! [wow.gif]

I thought it was madness too, but apparently that is how some types of rice are cooked. [scratch.gif]