Wait list times

I think Harlan is more of a revolving door. Each year many people get priced out. Im a new replacement and wont be buying. I have had one Harlan and while it was good i can buy just as good at $150-200.

Riverain. Sign up now or miss the boat.

1 Like

+1, I purchased and a couple days later Morgan met me at the chicken coop for the pick up. The rest is history.

I just signed up for Bedrock right before this current release, and was offered/bought wine in the 2nd wave. Same with Becklyn.

My advice to the newbies - sign up for everything with a long waiting list. By the time you get an offer, maybe you will know whether you like the wine. DO NOT sign up for every list where there is currently no wait. You will feel like a heavy hitter and buy too much wine too fast. Been there, done that.

1 Like

Yup.

1 Like

HA! Nice one. Joe, I am noodling on opening up an '11 Syrah tomorrow. So little of it left around anymore, I have to use it sparingly. Steve is building forward and Thomas is behind the wines. At some stage, when the fuse gets lit, and at the pricing Steve has the wines, it will take off and become one of those sought lists. At least with Steve, you get a guy who is both a buyer and owner, so he knows both sides of the coin and thinks people first. Super guy.

Alan, there is a lot of great wine out there, enough of it that you could avoid the wait list drama IMO. I guess easy for me to say as I do love my Carlisle but I have been buying from Mike for over 10 years. This is the only list I would pursue if starting now as a new wine buyer, however, there is enough of it being dripped through places like Winebid that you could drink Mikeā€™s wines pretty successfully while you waited to be added to the new release allocations.

1 Like

8 and waiting.

1 Like

Not for long!

1 Like

I had similar experiences

such solid adviceā€¦by the time I made Screagle and SQN lists (7-8 year waits I think, offer came 2-3 years ago) I realized I either no longer liked the style (SQN) or had found what I believed to be better value high end Napa cab alternatives (Screagle)ā€¦passed on both

I guess I could have bought and resold for a profit but wasnā€™t interested in that game

1 Like

Even though Iā€™m on the wait list for several wines, my tastes have changed since I first put my name on the lists so now Iā€™m not really all that interested in buying them. I also have limited storage space so, when the latest Turley list came out, I had no space to put them and already have a good supply of their wines, I declined to buy anything. I know it you donā€™t buy after 2 offers they take you off the list.

I am at 8yrs 1 month waiting on SE and 7yrs 8 months waiting on SQN. I think signing up for the longer wait lists is a good call then decide later but only those ones. I too made the mistake of signing up for some of the ā€œbiggerā€ names with no wait then bought too much wine too early.

I canā€™t say what things are now, other than Under the Wire bubbly, I havenā€™t attempted to add another list in a long time, but those seem about right. I think the only one Iā€™m still waiting on is SQN, but by now I would buy the whites and let others buy the reds/stickies.

When donā€™t live in or near a major city, direct purchases are a great way to have access to unique wines, but I got to the point that I am cutting back on list purchases to buy more stuff locally. Iā€™ve taken advantage of buying off other peopleā€™s list when possible. Thereā€™s always a risk that this access will dry up for one reason or another, but more than worth it for me.

Bump on this thread. Would be good to get an update on these and others.

Macdonald:
SQN:
Saxum:
Screaming Eagle:
Marcassin:
Ultramarine:

Joe might be right, 2020 is looking like a really ā€œsmall production yearā€. [swoon.gif]

Ultramarine - 2 years
MacDonald - 2 years
Cayuse - 5 years

Saxum was right at 7 years.

IMO, one to jump on now and still seems attainable for epic (pricey) Cab and really good, not stratospheric priced syrah is Christopher Tynan.

Didnā€™t realize Ultramarine and Macdonald were so quick

1 Like