Wait list times

less than 3 years now? Looking back at my email, I see I signed up in 2013 and received my first Scarecrow offer in 2019. I dont know if the list shortened. (Etain is very quick). I will put it at 6 years for now.

updated Scarecrow

Macdonald: 10+ years?
SQN: 8?
Saxum: 7 years
Screaming Eagle: ???
Scarecrow: ~6 years
Marcassin: ???
Ultramarine: ~3 years
Cayuse: 7+ years

Oops! I must have read the thread wrong earlier today. I thought it said time still on the waitlist and waiting…I’ve had no luck yet with the above wineries, but hopeful I’ll make Ultramarine next year, Michael confirmed this morning “I only have a couple hundred ahead of me”. For the meantime, I just picked up some Cruse Tradition.

I turned into a Syrah junkie in 2004 and signed up for Alban, SQN, and Saxum after discovering my first love wine, the Alban 2003 Reva. I had never tasted a wine like this. So bold, with flavors of bacon, tar, and jammy fruits. Back then, there was no wait for Alban or Saxum and I bought my full allocation of Alban and Saxum for a few years until my tastes started to change and I dropped out. I still have a few bottles of the 100 pt. 2006 Alban Lorraine.

SQN was another story - I think I waited 8 years and started receiving offers in 2012 and even though my tastes have changed, I have purchased mostly full allocation ever since, and it’s all sitting in my cellar. I have no idea what i’m doing with it - I have every estate box from 2011 forward. If anyone want’s to trade for some cool climate pinot and chardonnay, let me know! haha.

A note on Marcassin - I signed up in June 2017 - Received an offer a year later for a case of their 2012 Marcassin Vineyards Pinot (they must have had a glut of wine) and have not heard a peep since despite several follow up inquiries about where i stand. Perhaps part of the SQN success story should be attributed to their treatment of the waiting list, which by now is legendary. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Marcassin who does not even respond to emails.

2 Likes

I’ve been on the Screaming Eagle waitlist for going on 14 years. I don’t know that they’ve added any new members in several years. Curious to see when active folks on here made the leap from the waitlist.

Ahhhh crap! Haha

I’m 2009 so if 2006 hasn’t made it yet. It’s not happening for me anytime soon.

updated Screagle

SQN: 8?
Screaming Eagle: 14+ years
Marcassin: truly an enigma
Cayuse: 7+ years

Ditto
SQN the same I think.

updated Cayuse and SQN given latest input

SQN: 9+ years
Cayuse: 9+ years

I joined the Saxum waiting list 3 years ago and received an update from Justin last week stating that the estimated length of the wait list is 5 years from date of sign up, so I still have a couple of years to go :slight_smile:

Regarding Scarecrow, I think the estimated waiting time is now closer to 3 years - based on my personal experience and that of a friend.

Cheers.

1 Like

Took me 8.5 years to make it active on SQN

+1 One of the best wines and values in Napa. As well, Steve is great

+5… One of the best values in Napa. Get it while you can. Matt and Amber are great to deal with

updated Saxum and Scarecrow given latest info; added some up and comers

Saxum: 5 years (down from 7 years)
Scarecrow: ~3 years (down from 6 years)

Up and Comers:
Riverain: immediate?
Becklyn: immediate?

While 3 years could very well be true of UM, I read someplace last year that those signing up on that day should expect to wait close to a decade.

1 Like

updated Ultramarine

Saxum: 5 years (down from 7 years)
Scarecrow: ~3 years (down from 6 years)
Ultramarine: 10 years? (up from ~3 years)

Up and Comers:
Riverain: immediate?
Becklyn: immediate?

Received my first offer from Saxum this year, I think after 7 years.
I always thought I would at least try it but decided to pass.
I already drink a lot of of CA Syrah and I am perfectly happy with wines that cost $30 - $40.
Could not see the logic in spending over $100 on one bottle and I could also buy it at auction for the same price with more age on it.
Also I am trying to diversify more, would rather spend that money on N. Rhone or Barolo.

I have been on the wait list for Saxum since 2013. I just got an email two weeks ago basically saying not this year! So it will be at least 8 years

There has to be a way to ‘mathify’ this.

Waiting list time is proportional to the ratio of resale value of a current release on the secondary market to the release price?

Seems like a good prediction of what we’d see with data, though I doubt it’s a linear relationship.

2 Likes