Walter Scott Wolfpack

Edit:

Originally was charged for shipping and now its showing free shipping on > 6 bottles

great deal. no shipping and no tax…

Go Walter Scott!

Sean

Saw a recent wolfpack quarterly credit card transaction but cannot find any details on what’s included in the shipment. If anyone knows, can you point me to where details are listed? Thanks.

edited: nevermind…just got an email from them with details.

Just got an email for the 2019 SVD. Last year, there was a mix of $55-$65 offers. Now everything is $65 with X Novo Chardonnay jumping to $85.

Thanks for the “head’s up”, Chris - I saw the e-mail in my inbox, but I had only scanned the top and thought it was only related to the 2019 tasting kit. If you hadn’t posted above, I wouldn’t have realized it was the new vintage offer [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the head’s up. I ordered a mixed case and received a 15% discount and free shipping.

not thrilled about the price hikes across the board but I can’t blame them. They sell through what they produce. Luckily Marcus Goodgellow filled my inbox with an amazing library offer this morning so I spent that money with Goodfellow instead.

Sean

Amen to all that! WS has no lack of enthusiastic followers who will pay up, so more power to them. But I am more than happy to send my wine coins to Marcus. Truly great QPR at every level.

There were price increases on two wines…
Freedom Hill 55->65
Xnovo 65->85

The other wines have remained the same including the $28 comb verte. I am not seeing “across the board” price hikes? Or am I just remembering it wrong :slight_smile:

Looks right for the whites. I think some of the reds went from $55 to $65 also. And on a previous offer, the Gamey went for $28 to $40. Or am I remembering that one wrong?

All the chards are now $65 with X-novo $85
most of those used be $55

Pinots are $65 across the board. used to be $55 or less

and yes the Gamay went up to $40

So far the appellation pinot and chardonnays remain the same price.

Sean

Ahh ok. thanks Sean. i don’t really buy pinots :slight_smile: Of the two i did buy (2017 sequitor/7 springs), it was $65 last year as well. I think 2 pinots were $55 last year that went to $65. The other 3 were always $65 and didn’t change. but again didn’t buy a lot of pinot so not too sure.

Chards were all $65 except Freedom Hill which was $55 i thought? Which other single vineyard chard was $55 last year? Comb verte was/is $28. Anne was/is $40 right?

2017 I bought FH ($55), 7 Springs ($65) and Xnovo ($65). I believe in 2016 i believe they had a Justic vineyard which was $55 but i think that was dropped in 2017?

Anyways, yes there are places where pricing went up… Xnovo being most obvious :frowning:

Fu has been doing too much influencing.

Doesn’t he personally buy half their production?

4 wines changed in pricing out of 9 offered. Appellation stayed the same this year as well. So out of the pinot/chards 11 wines in 2019 7 stayed the same in price and 4 changed in price. Not exactly egregious or a price hike across the board. The X-Novo is clearly their best chardonnay and it justifies a price increase.

Chards - all of the SVD were $55 and over in 2018. The anne cuvee was $40 but eliminated.

Seven Springs was $65 still $65
Freedom Hill was $55 now $65
X-Novo was $65 now $85
Sojeau Vineyard is new.

pinot - the majority of their 2018 release was $65 (4 out of the 7), none were under $55. It was either $55 or $65

Freedom Hill was $55 now $65
X-Novo was $55 now $65
Temperance Hill was $65 still $65
Sequitur was $65 still $65
Sojeau was $65 still $65

Looking forward to the “barrel tasting” kit. those 100 sets sold out in a flash. Have a kid’s 1st bday drive through celebration to go to a few hours later, hopefully I can get my wife to drive hehehe

Also, the Seven Springs SVD pinot is not being offered in 2019, since I did not find that when I went to order. Instead, the Seven Springs went into a special bottling called Bacocho coming next year that is Temperance Hill and Seven Springs.

Charlie, I hadn’t realized they had eliminated the Cuvee Anne - I kind of liked that as a nice intermediate step between the Le Combe Verte and the SVD Chardonnays. What did they do, just include the grapes in Le Combe Verte?

Charlie Carnes does

Sorry, I’m not Chuck (Daly) Fu, but I’ve been a Walter Scott supporter for a number of years. Looking at the recent WS email, the single vineyard wines are down 30% in production. I would tend to believe that the lower yields resulted in the exclusion of the Cuvee Anne in 2019. Going back to 2018, there were 800 cases of Le Combe Verte Chardonnay compared to 908 cases in 2019, so a little bit of increase in the chardonnay. Looking at the Le Combe Verte Pinot Noir, 1000 cases in 2018 compared to 980 in 2019.

I’m sure that Erica, Ken or Andy can provide a more thoughtful or exact answer to your question.

As for the price increases, I would tend to look at the lower yields again. Plus, the uncertainty of 2020. To my knowledge, I have not heard anything definitive from Walter Scott regarding 2020, but some noteworthy producers will not be having any wine or a very limited amount of wine available from 2020. Most of Walter Scott’s sources are in the Eola Amity AVA, so hopefully they will be able to produce some wines from 2020.

James

If prices went up due to lower yields, do you think they will go down when yields increase??