Waygu beef from Costco. Too Much Fat!!!

Curious, where did anyone here say they cooked an A5 as a ‘regular steak’?
I certainly did mine in the correct way and that steak fed 3 people.
5 ounces each. It was tasty but the Waygu I had the week before was better for 1/4 price.

Most Americans have no idea how to cook or serve Waygu. Think of it more like Sushi (you wouldn’t eat an entire slab of raw tuna, would you?) and you’ll go a long way toward figuring out how to enjoy it properly.

Ahm… the OP of this thread? when he said… he cooked 1 of 2 steaks, and it was a “slab” of beef fat…

“$175 for two good sized steaks. I only cooked one. Simply seared with nothing but some sea salt. It has been awhile since I have been so disappointed. It is a slab of beef fat.”

As the OP, let me clarify. I let this “steak” come to room temp, cut into 1 inch strips, Seasoned with sea salt, seared each piece to a bit over medium rare. Did not try approach like regular steak. I was only able to get down one piece.

And Victor, I doubt if there’s enough meat to make more than a slider.

White Castle Waygu!

I actually use this for such applications. Pretty awesome.
Amabito No Moshio (Ancient Japanese Sea Salt)
salt.jpg

If it’s Bordier demi-sel, I might have to challenge this assertion. If we’re talking the Roscoff, I have to vigorously disagree!

I’m on record as agreeing with the OP - I’m just not a big fan of super-fatty steaks, even if it’s cut down into strips and seared off. Have been fortunate to try it several times, including legit A5 Kobe and Hokkaido Snow, and if I got invited to another tasting, I’d manage to choke it down with a smile :smiley: I guess that’s why they make chocolate and vanilla, eh?

Reverse sear, slice, and finish it on a hot griddle alongside whole shiitake mushrooms. As a finale, use rendered fat to make kimchi fried rice.

My usual technique is indirect heat on the egg with a drip pan, quick sear of both sides at high heat, then slice and resear.

[rofl.gif]

If somebody were to shave very fine layers of frozen standard beef filet and fat, and alternately bind them together with gelatin (like gyro meat), would the product be able to fool a diner?

When I was working for Grateful Dead we would get A5 smuggled in. We would only serve around 2 ounces at a time. Any more than that and it was a bummer. I was at my Costco today and they had the frozen A5 for $99/pound (which is what I see it for at my local Japanese fish market). I was remarking with my friends that two of these steaks would be enough for at least 10-12 people.
6884C69B-F57F-4024-9585-0EE78874C895.jpeg

Btw, these were the least fatty of all of the steaks. The fattier ones just wouldn’t photograph on my crap phone.

Many years ago, I made the mistake of eating an 8oz A5 from Japan. Afterward, I felt like I just ate a stick of butter and my stomach was very unhappy. That turned me off to wagyu for a long time and now I prefer it served as nigiri. That’s about the right serving size for me.

My other epicurean friend loved wagyu until I made him some Flannery. He still enjoys wagyu but prefers the more robust beefiness of a dry aged steak.

I love A5 but it’s not something you can eat that often. I much prefer american wagyu to dry aged prime beef.

I think im with you. just give me a good piece of well marbled dry aged prime and im happy.

The problem with Prime is that the USDA expanded the criteria to make more available at the higher price point which just drove down the quality. A lot of the Prime I see at Costco these days is just high quality Choice. Nothing like the best Prime that you get at a top end steakhouse.

Robert, I’m with you. I’ve had some preps that were impressive, notably braised short ribs, but on the steak front I much prefer a good prime. Frankly, give me a Flannery hanger and I’m in my happy steak place.

PSA for those in NYC area, Eataly (23rd/6th) has 30% off on A5 until tomorrow.

Am not into it as most are here, but scored a piece anyway as I was already at the store doing some shopping. $89/lb for my NY strip.

Will likely cut into pieces and throw into hot cast iron.

30058B3B-640D-43D6-9341-695196A2BAD9.jpeg

+1

When I buy one of those A5 Miyazaki ribeye steaks I divide it in 3 parts and freeze 2 of them. 1/3 of a steak is more than enough for 2 people