We are thinking about getting some plastic wine glasses for outside "happy hours"

[cheers.gif] They may be disposable/single-use to you, but broken glass by the pool or at the beach is no bueno. Even if it’s fine hand-blown Austrian glass.

I use solo cups outside [wink.gif]

Having been written about in various publications for drinking fine wine outside at pregame football tailgates, I suggest that you take the following into account. First, it is a lot windier outside than at your dining room table. Plastic “glasses” when used outside have a habit of doing a double twisting somersault in the layout position and ending on the floor. Despite the fact that they are plastic, this will frequently result in being forced to place them in the recycling container. Since they are often even lighter than real glass, the likelihood of being on the medal podium in the diving competition is even a higher. Therefore, whatever you choose, consider weighting down the bottom of the glass with a brick or barbel weight.

Second, I agree that glass around the swimming pool is potentially really bad, especially when one of us decides to walk into the pool while photographing a bunch of Berserkers, but it has turned out to be less of a problem over the years than I expected. If you are not in an area where people will be walking barefoot, real glasses at Costco that are made by Riedel seem to be cheaper than good plastic.

Third, and this sounds ridiculous, but to me glass v. plastic makes a huge difference. I would sometimes rather drink wine out of a Solo red cup than out of a plastic glass posing as a real wine glass. Why? Hard to say, but using the Audouze rating system based upon actual versus expectation, maybe expecting a mediocre to poor experience from a red cup and discovering that it doesn’t matter as much as you might think is better than expecting your plastic glasses to give you a Zalto experience.

Exactly this. I also wonder if it’s a case of exceeding “low expectations”, but I suspect it may be a bit more than that. I find that, particularly with red wine, the wine consistently shows/performs quite well from a Solo cup. It may be that, by pure coincidence, the Solo cup has some wine-friendly shape characteristics, allowing you to enjoy the nose, swirl the wine properly, and get the right amount of wine into your mouth (in the right places) when sipping. And the Solo cup has one desirable trait that NO crystal glass can compete with…it is the lightest weight of all.

This ties into the discussion, but is not about the glass. What do folks use to keep flying proteins from landing in your glasses when outside? Not a huge problem here in Southern California, but it must be bad in some of those “buggy” states back east.

Silicone glass covers (that’s a decent search term) is what I use. Pop it on except when taking a sip.

GREAT call with the Vinglace Paul! I had never heard of these but had to give em a try after reading your post. Used one by the pool this afternoon and absolutley loved it. It has a very nice weight/feel to it, kept my Keller Rieslaner perfectly chilled, and was just a much more pleasurable drinking experience thanks to the glass inset vs. the plastic of my Govinos (which I’ve enjoyed and have previously been my go to). Bit more expensive than the typical vacuum insulated stainless steel wine tumbler but well worth it. Very well made product and the glass interior takes it to another level. Big fan of these glasses, and will probably now only be using my govinos for camping. Thanks for the reco Paul!!

Glad they worked for you. We’ve been pleased. They are a little pricey, but I like the glass. [cheers.gif]

I don’t worry about it. It just adds complexity.

The Vinglace and others have a lid. I guess this makes them sippy cups.

Used acrylic glasses around/in our pool and got along well. But we were only drinking “social” or shut up and drink it wines. And at that level it isn’t a big deal. Away from the pool and pool deck we used good, not great, glasses.

For those with vinglace, what happens when the tumbler falls and breaks- does glass go everywhere? I don’t this this passed the first userstory of “must not shatter when I drop it after tripping over a sunbathing girl at the pool”

Govino definitely gets use at our place.
However, if you want a quantity purchase, these are pretty serviceable, stack securely, and can be washed and reused, about $1 apiece.

TOSSWARE POP 14oz Vino

Been using govino since they came out but have been using tossware also when i go to concerts or sporting events. Perfect roadie glass you can toss right before you walk through the gate

These look cool. I’m going to get some. Thanks for the info. I had never seen these before.
I use Govinos and like them but you’re right about wine warming up quickly in plastic glasses if you’re drinking outside on a sunny day or holding it for too long.

Good question. “Somehow I didn’t see her feet!”

1 Like

Anyone try symglass?

I’ll second the Yeti insulated wine tumblrs. Dishwasher safe, indestructible, keeps the wine temp even.

I’ll say this, the Vinglacé guys really did a great job with my dog.

(The fingerprints are my fault. I was grilling and eating burgers.)
C8D33610-739C-45EF-9D5C-01C4484375C7.jpeg

Amazon basics Tritan glasses are nice