WEEK 3 - Virtual Tasting for Charity -Cabernet Sauvignon from Around the World - SC Flood Relief

1989 Chateau Ste. Michelle Estate Bottled Reserve - Purchased on release and kept in passive storage under the stairs. Not labeled by varietal, but I think it is a left-bank style Bordeaux blend. Cork was soaked almost all the way through and fell apart but we managed to keep most of it out of the bottle. Filtered for sediment, double decanted, and served. Seriously faded color and a modest bouquet. Very good flavor though, I found it pretty darn enjoyable. Very light body, delicate prune/port, no heat or tannin, but lengthy finish with light sweetness. Not exactly a hit with the crowd, but I was happy to return to this for several hours through the evening and the flavors held on to the end.

2000 Siran. Corked. Does that count as a TN? I have a pic…
IMG_0663.jpg

2010 Myriad Three Twins cab… fantastic!! My last of 4 bottles, and easily the best. The aromas filled the kitchen when I opened the bottle. Complex taste of red and black fruit. Long finish, with just a hint of eucalyptus. Mike really hit it out of the park with this one.

Thanks all for the notes and pics so far. Drink up tonight!
My final major gig was last night; my wife’s gig is tonight. I’m sure we will find a celebratory bottle.
We did drink an 06 Hourglass the other day but I have not had a chance to type a note.

2012 Schrader RBS. I have long thought Schrader was the best producer of Napa Cabs in the modern era.
This did nothing to shake that belief. Very concentrated and quite tannic on opening this just kept getting better. Deep cherry, minerality, the oak is integrated, but the structure is there for long aging, more so than any 12s I have had. Great bottle.

Just for you, Brotha Brunson:

Just finished a nice little cycling workout, burgers on the grill - gotta earn it - getting primed for the debates (popcorn in wait). Will post notes in a bit.

I know you want some . . . .

2009 Paul Hobbs Crossbarn
No detailed notes but a very nice cab. More of the restrained classical style than bigger modern cabs. Drank very well with pizza Sunday night and just sipping alone on Monday after sucky six hour round trip drive for a 15 min meeting. I think I have one small sip left for tonight.

2009 Ridge Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Monte Bello Vineyard
77% Cabernet, 23% Merlot
13.8% ABV

This wine has been a dandy since day one, admittedly I would still like the American oak to tone down more. Pretty nose of bright red fruits and sweet darks (cassis), cedar box, tobacco and some vanilla. Medium-weight on the palate, good acid, firm tannins still, with a nice grainy finish. Nowhere near full evolution, range of fruits delineated well but not showing a whole lot of ancillary characteristics. An enjoyable, youthful, old-school Cab that still needs time to show all of its goods.

(91+ pts.)

All of a sudden this thread got a whole lot sexier. Not Klapp sexy, but that’s to be expected. An Orlando 8 is like an Italy 5.

So by extraKLappolation, I would be a 7.5 in Italy. That works.

Like driving, maths isn’t your strong suit.

True. The bottle is near empty. Picking up some pickle juice, ugh.

I feel like I’m insane.

You clearly are not drinking enough.

After downing a 2010 Myriad Three Twins, I decided to pop a 2011. It was nice, with a similar flavor profile, but muted in every way compared to the 2010. Had I consumed them in the opposite order, the 2010 would have been mind-blowing!

Why did this get unpinned from the top of the list so quickly. Impatient beer drinkers, I suppose…

Tried one more last night to participate in the theme:

2006 Quilceda Creek Columbia Valley Red Wine
Dark, nearly opaque red color. Aromas of kirsch and cherry liqueur followed by blueberry and vanilla. Palate initially is cocktail-like with blueberry and kirsch flavors. With some air, this subsides a bit and the wine comes into a better sense of balance with blueberry, currant, asphalt, and some peppery notes on a medium-long finish. I can’t say I preferred this to the Jones, but if I factor price into the equation, it is a clear winner.

Cheers,
fred

I’ll get one in under the wire too.

We opened a 1995 York Creek Vineyards Meritage. This is the first Napa Cab I have ever bought and I did so because Corison was the wine-maker. At $27, a great qpr. The wine was in great shape and quite delicious with tart blackberries, red cherries, some menthol and asphalt. Loved the persistent underpinning of acidity which appealed to my afwe-leaning palate. Day two, the wine turned a little plummy and ripe but was still a nice drink. So now I have to go buy some more recent Corison wine bottled under her own name.

Ah! We unpin them when we post the new week and then this thread floats as long as the sponsor wants.

Yes the beer thread is up and running.

2001 Wilson, Estate, Dry Creek Valley, Sydney Vineyard
Needed a little time to open but got there quickly. Still drinking nicely for its age. Initially red berries, changing to tar and black fruits after some air. Nose isn’t overly expressive. Smooth, integrated, mellowed out tannins. Probably can go another 3 years before declining.

In under the wire. Opened this to enjoy tomorrow night with friends, kids, and holiday lights. Cheers, Scott!

2009 Wellingon CS, Mohrhardt Vineyard

Sediment pouring from around the cork. (I just reorganized by bottles a bit so no surprise). The nose on this is insane. Rich and big, red fruits, a tiny bit of chocolate, tiny bit of pipe tobacco. Palate is huge fruit carried by really nice acid and tannin. SWMBO “really liked it” and enthusiastically even. Long finish. This is super good.