Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Old Vine Pommard Lewman Vineyard

Marcus knocked this one out of the park. Complex perfume of dried blackberry, raspberry, cherry cola, tea leaves, creme de violette, and rose petals with smoky minerality, black pepper, and baking spices wafting from the glass when coaxed with some air. On the palate the wine is expansive, with a purity of tart black and red fruits supported by silky tannins and bright acidity. There is an impressively long finish of black cherry, raspberry, mocha, black pepper, and a touch of smoke.

With no decant this wine is surprisingly open for early drinking pleasure, but I’m sure it has a long life ahead of it.

1 Like

I don’t know Brian. I might have to deduct $2.50 for a sideways photo. :wink:

Fixed it

1 Like

2015 Trathen Hall La Chenaie Vineyard Pinot Noir:
E4BFC258-BADB-46FC-A2E1-113106EC813F.jpeg
Certainly a teeny tiny producer by case size but not by experience or spirit. Blair Trathen was the winemaker at Shea Wine Cellars from 2013-2018 and worked many more Oregon and New Zealand (he’s native) harvest and Arabella Hall who has worked many Oregon harvests for a number of wineries have this as their private label. This is a delicious bottle. Racy acidity especially considering the vintage. Duels with the ripe fruit to give a spiced red apple skin and red plum flesh note to the aromatics and flavor. Mild but persistent and elegant tannins carry the flavors. Pretty long if not super-complex. Drinking really well and while it’s not at apex it’s certainly enjoyable. Good stuff and great people. Blair worked the 2020 harvest with me and my crew. Wish I had results to show for his efforts.

1 Like

Thank you for doing this David, both for choosing Oregon and Berserkers, and donating to Dakin Humane Society.

2020 has obviously been unmatched in society wide challenges, but I have come to marvel at this years ability to add personal “eff you”s to us individually. We began the year with three fuzzy friends and have lost all three this year. It’s just strange not having cats, or a dog and I really appreciate a chance to give the bird back to 2020(even if it’s only in my own head).

We’ll match the donation on any TNs on wines from producers in the Deep Roots Coalition.

Thanks Marcus. Losing a furry friend always sucks.

I hate to sound out of touch, but what is the Deep Roots Coalition?

This is a great reason to pop corks on some Oregon Pinots I’ve been meaning to open…for animal charity. Thanks David (and Jim & Marcus)! Very sorry to hear about losing the fur friends, Marcus. Always enjoyed seeing them.

I’m sticking to a Heater Allen Blanc Pils tonight, but will soon open a 2008 Matello Whistling Ridge PN, 2008 Biggio-Hamina Zenith PN & 2010 PGC Four Winds PN.

Deep Roots is a group of Oregon wineries producing wines solely from dry-farmed vineyards. Admittedly, almost every single one of my favorite Oregon wineries is a member.

Group and wineries aside, the rare tastings we put on were basically Oregon Pinot dork heaven.

Thanks.

EF3CD2E2-FA4E-49DB-956E-5C41AF164BF2.jpeg
We’ll start with bubbles…two labels helmed by people that I am very happy to support, and who do really good work. Both wines wanted 20 minutes to open up, but both show the potential in Willamette Valley sparkling wines. First…

Mellen-Meyer Blanc de Blanc NV Johan Vineyard disgorged 2/2/17
Stony nose, almonds, ocean water, a hint of nuttiness/marzipan(cellared for a year this is evolving well.) Gains richness, a little grilled bread, nectarine, apples, hint of guava, but still nicely taut. Excellent length and balance. Excellent breed and layering, and a very solid effort. Full disclosure, Bobby Rowett, the winemaker, used to work for me.

Second…
2014 Lundeen Blanc de Noirs La Canterra vineyard. 42 months in tirage, disgorged summer 2018. This took a bit to knit together, but wow…it has, and I am impressed. Floral, leesy, light red and white fruits, all in a startling delicious package. Palate is perfectly balanced. I drink a lot of grower Champagnes, and am simply jaded when it comes to bubbles from other regions, but this wine is delivering everything I would expect from good grower fizz. My only knock is that the mousse dissipates a bit more in the glass than I like over time in the glass, so I would definitely recommend tall slender glassware.

This.

At my first Deep Roots tasting as a member, I looked around and realized that every Oregon Pinot Noir in my cellar was from a member winery.

1 Like

2011 Jadot Beaune 1er Cru
F37151DF-ED76-41C1-BE10-3FE5BF478B58.jpeg
Not much on the nose. Red and dark fruits mix up nicely if not in some sort of complex way. A little dustiness in there and some acid and tannin. It’s good but like in that “how do you like your bran muffin? Oh, it’s, you know, good.” sort of way. Little palate density. It’s good. Like a decent glass pour kind of good but not something you’re wicked excited about. If you were having appetizers with a business colleague (pre-Covid) and you had to talk about blueprints to a small warehouse you were building and what sort of light fixtures you needed to order this would be a good wine to order a glass of.

Not sure what is going on with the mobile and adding photos. It’s been a struggle and this one was especially weirdly difficult for some reason and I’m not going back to figure out how to fix it.

2017 Biggio Hamina “BiHa” Van Van Deuzer Corridor AVA Pinot Noir

Per Todd Hamina: All Holmes Gap vineyard, 100% pommard, 100% whole cluster, 20% new French oak. The BiHa AVA bottlings are intended as more as “restaurant” wines than vin de garde. Natural cork. $17 retail.

A very light red color. Nice red fruit on the nose without being sweet. Light bodied, soft on the palate, and an easy drinker while still retaining delicious earthy substance and character. A sneaky wine, if you pay attention, it keeps getting richer and deeper, but the bottle might get quaffed too quickly to matter. I can see this wine appealing to a wide range of people. It is what it is meant to be. Charming and friendly. A sweet kiss. But if you wanted a wine that throws you down on the couch and has its way with you, this is perhaps not that wine.

A thing that really impressed me is that I have had 2007, 2011, 2013, and 2017 BH AVA wines and they have all had remarkably consistent character. Todd never had an identity crisis. Well done.

Thank you Todd. Thank you David! [cheers.gif]
2017 BiHa.JPG

2007 Biggio Hamina Momtazi

From the legendary shitty 2007 vintage.

Decanted four hours. Remarkably this wine has a deeper color than the 2017 AVA. All around more substantial. Lots of dark scents leapt from the glass with this one. My wife insisted there was a sootiness as from a charred wood. I never really got that. But I did get fennel root. She harrumphed me. We agreed on Marionberry and worn saddle leather. Later her soot comment changed into French toast, as in the smell of a griddle. I got very nice cigar tobacco on the finish. And we both got that lovely fresh scent of forest path after a rain. Still surprisingly tannic for its age. This had a twist top. Perhaps that has retarded aging? I still have two bottles and will drink them over the next two years as I think it is in its peak drinking window.

Thanks Todd. Thanks David! [cheers.gif]
Momtazi glass.JPG
2007 BH Momtazi.JPG

You drink a shitty 2007 and bust out “marionberry.”?

That’s epic oregon homer note there, well played.

OSU - home of the marionberry and the modern maraschino cherry.

Go beavers!

2018 Patricia Green Cellars Freedom Hill Dijon 115

I’m still learning how to identify things, so not sure how accurate this is. Day 1, super tight, swirled in a Zalto Burgundy for about 2 hours through the William Kelley chat and it’s not moving much. Dark fruits, but not sure what. Smells a little like the Christmas tree I don’t have this year. I’ve got nothing beyond that, hoping I can hold the other bottle for 5 years or so. Just wish it wasn’t too big for the slots in my wine cellar.

High whole cluster wines often darken with age. They also will often show a little bricking when young and then tighten up and the hue intensifies.

[cheers.gif]

1 Like

Trying to sort out some new house Pinot for my wife.

2019 Four Graces Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley very primary still, no surprise, red fruited in a raspberry sort of way, moderate + tannins at this point, and a bit of youthful juiciness. Nose has a touch of spice, but still too young to really sparkle.

2018 Willamette Valley Vineyards Estate Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley is much more serious in nose and palate. More power, a touch darker fruited, good spice, acid and persistence.

2019 Adelsheim Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley is lighter bodied than the Four Graces, more cranberries and cedar, with a pretty nose of bramble and flowers.

Thanks for taking the time to donate David. I had a great rescue named Buddy who lived to be 18. Will check in on them tomorrow for day 2.

2007 Patricia Green Pinot Reserve

Popped and poured, this is stunning. This is why you drink Oregon pinot. Wow. Aromatically light on its feet with lighter red tones, spice, dirty forest. The palate shows terrific structure and red crunchy skinned cranberry fruit that finishes smooth, light and with great acid. A terrific bottle of wine from a shitty vintage. Most excellent job, Jim and Patty.