Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

Patricia Green Cellars 2013 Berserkers’ Cuvee

The OG BC. Lighter in color than I remembered. Perfumed nose with some cedar and evergreen. Burnt cherry with cranberry notes. Still very youthful. I imagine this will gain weight overnight. I will report back tomorrow.

In lieu of a holiday luncheon, my SO’s company gifted all of the employees a catered dinner today. Our dinner of Sea Bass paired perfectly with the 2018 Goodfellow Dundee Hills Chardonnay.

IMG_1817 (1).jpg

2017 Arterberry Maresh Chardonnay Dux Vineyard Dundee Hills

Chalk, saline, salty air with 1 atom of matchstick. Imagine the perfect wine with oysters. This is #3. Just a beautiful balance of fruit, acid, minimal oak. I close my eyes and can (barely…damn covid) recall sitting on their porch overlooking their beautiful vineyard, the sound of gunfire blazing away. Great bottle of wine that is drinking extremely well now.

2010 Patricia Green Cellars Durant Vineyard Bishop Block

100% Pommard clone planted in 1973. I remember talking to Jim and Marcus on this forum and loving their description of this wine while in barrel. At 10 years old, the wine is slightly browning with a light rim. The nose was an intoxicating mix of forest floor, mushrooms, black tea, red currant, and smoke, with a hint of cinnamon. Medium light on the palate, the wine nicely balanced red fruit, a savory element, and an acid spine. The finish was long, smooth, and easy to drink! Glad to have a couple more bottles to enjoy!
5C312D86-C2DC-4EAB-9914-65DA781A4463.jpeg

Thanks for doing this David. I have really been digging Oregon this year.

2007 Cameron Clos Electrique Rouge - I did not realize 2007 was suppose to be an off year when I opened this. The wine was beautiful. The cellartracker notes are all over the place, some say it has too much Cameron funk and others say too little. I thought it was young, fresh and just the right amount of funk. There was a distinct iron note, with some old leather characteristics, a little smokiness and very deep black cherry fruit with all flavors in complete harmony.

1 Like

Jim,

This is just plain awesome!! What a kind & generous offer. You have always been so kind, from the first time we met where you stayed late to walk me through my first barrel tasting of the 2005 vintage, to your willingness to fly to Boston to join us for a tasting.

Kindness begets kindness. What a VERY generous offer. This should open the flood gates for PGC notes. Im pulling out a few more for this.

This really is a beauty…aka: Super Sh!tty. I’ve got 3 bottles of 6 left. Your note isn’t making it easier to be patient!

RT

Not sure when you had you last bottle. This is drinking very well.

Practice and don’t be afraid to cheat. Take your own impressions and the look at other tasting notes for the wine and see if you can identify what others might find.

The wheel is great for just looking at while tasting, it’ll help you run “down the funnel”. That’s what we call it, “taking it down the funnel” by starting high level and getting more granular.

4 Likes

I’ve been meaning to practice more. I think I’m going to try one of those smelling kits - I cant remember the last time I smelled anise for example.

you mean black licorice or fennel? [wow.gif]

Ha! All of the above

Drank a wonderful Patricia Green Cellars Chardonnay last night out of the same glass that you get when you taste at the winery! If you get a chance, visiting PGC is one of the highlights of the Willamette Valley. Beautiful setting, amazing wines, and terrific people. Jim spent quite a bit of time with us and answered all of our lame questions! Couldn’t recommend the wines and Jim enough.

2018 Patricia Green Cellars Durant Chardonnay
Gorgeous light-honey yellow out of the glass with aromas of apple, pear, crushed rock, and spice. Medium-bodied, possessing an elegant and graceful palate leading to an energetic finish balanced with a bit of quince. Terrific Oregon Chardonnay! 93pts.

The cute doggo is our new Mini Goldendoodle, Rocco. He’s a punk!
PGC.jpg
Rocco.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg
PGC Berserkers’ Cuvee '14 - Fruit was a little more muted than I expected it to be, but everything was in a great balance. I would probably best describe this bottle as “elegant”. Really bummed that COVID kept us from visiting WV this year! [swearing.gif] (Apron courtesy of World Central Kitchen, vintage Hawaiian shirt from Velour in Newberg one of my favorite vintage stores anywhere)

ottonel.jpg
2018 Patricia Green Dry Muscat Ottonel

A paler shade of white! This might be the lightest colored white wine ever for me. I am smell-challenged, but I pick up a clean whiff of stone and flowers. The first taste shows fruit that I want to lazily call citrus, but I believe that is not accurate. And though I have never tasted flowers I would describe the taste as fruit turning to flowers. Lively acidity. Lingering tart aftertaste, leaning more to herbs than to fruit. Different and extremely refreshing. 10.1 % ABV. This is the last of my six bottles of this. I have described this wine before as a simple wine that is not really simple at all. Nice wine.

Cheers, David and thank you for your generosity.

P.S. Last night I opened a 2018 Brokenwood Hunter Valley Semillon from Australia. As I was drinking that wine the taste remined me of this wine. I poured a little of the Semillon tonight next to this Patricia Green wine for comparison. I confirmed the general resemblance at least to my palate. The fruit of the Semillon was more clearly lime to me, but the overall profile of a lively, refreshing white with fruit and flowers turning tart, and relatively low ABV were very similar. FWIW.

No doubt from the early days when the quarantine seemed sort of quaint! Love this little wine.

2015 Patricia Green Pinot Noir Durant Vineyard Madrone Block- berserker day purchase I believe. Popped and poured at cellar temp.Beguiling nose of black cherry, pine sap and a hint of cinnamon spice. Still a little closed on the palate, with nice pure red fruit and good acidity and body. Get the sense that this will have another gear and pick up some complexity with a few more years in the cellar, but a very nice wine.

A couple from last night:

2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard’s Cuvee Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/9/2020)
A little matchstick with pure white fruit and a little minerality and florality and plenty of acid at the core, it is on the tight side now and while enjoyable will benefit from more cellar age. (92 pts.)

2018 Walter Scott Chardonnay Freedom Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/9/2020)
Tremendously reduced at first, which faded with time to reveal more oak than I expected along with pure fruit and decent acidity. If everything comes together it could be very nice in a few more years.

Spending my own money…

• 2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/10/2020)
    Ever had a crazy day at work, where later on you just wanted a wine that was serene, and contemplative? I had one of those today, and this was just what I needed after it ended. I really did not even need to drink the wine, as the aromatics were transportive. An ethereal carpet ride through the Willamette Valley, and to Ribbon Ridge, which for my palate is a unique and distinctive AVA that imbues a level of nuance that I don’t always see from other Willamette Pinots. Strawberry and cranberry fruit with earthy and herbal accents make for a food friendly and disturbingly easy to drink wine. I love the light touch from Goodfellow, and keep going back for more, because there’s zero weight or heaviness. It’s just too easy, and too friendly.

Posted from CellarTracker

2006 Cameron Nebbiolo, Bottle #031

Nice bright dark red color with a touch of bronze. Dried herbs, tobacco…hold the roses and tar. For Cameron, there’s a noticeable slug of neutral wood. Sappy integrated fruit with focused acidity, moderate length and rubbing tannins. Good bones/structure and plenty of life…probably another 10+ years in front of it. No heat (13.4% abv). Reminds me of a rich, new worldy Valtellina, minus the terra. Paired well with roast leg of lamb (garlic butter, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper) cooked on top of a bed of yukon gold potatoes. Pretty sure Cameron was an original member of the D.R.C.?

RT

I’ve never had a chance to try one of these. Based on this, would be seek out the current vintage at ~ $33?