Week 3 Virtual Tasting - Historic Vineyards hosted by Larry P for Peter Tryba Kidney Fund

Hi all, this is a huge wine and clearly benefited from a decanting. I think it will age nicely and reward those who can keep their hands off for a while.

I suspect there are other varietals in this old vineyard but nothing on the bottle gives me any information. Tanner has always loved the Turley made wines from this site and this one was no exception … I think it was his highest rated Zin of the vintage.

I liked it’s dark fruits (plum, blackberry, black cherry esp), briary nose, hints of white pepper, tobacco, and leather. It’s a rich and voluptuous drink. I don’t have the bottle in front of me but I think it comes in over 15% but there was never a hint of heat. It is palate coating and very long on the finish. No RS here… not really the old “dry port” type thing. This is classic mixed blacks type of Zinfandel that older Italian Americans like me really appreciate. Simply wonderful with good old central Texas brisket.

Happy to help with a good cause… I’ll take one for the team anytime with something like this. Cheers, Bob

hi all, do the “Old Vines” bottling by Turley and Bedrock count? I know the 2013 Bedrock Old Vines cuvée says it is from vines averaging 80years in age planted throughout CA. And I have read something similar about the 2012 Turley OV.

Thanks, Bob

I’m starting with an '08-'09 vertical of Wine Guerrilla Coffaro Old Vines Zin. Tonight the '08 is pretty rough and hot. Not a good beginning.
image.jpg

I’m in & excited! Someone earlier said this counts!
image.jpg

If nobody objects, I’m in to raffle another case of beer just like the last two weeks. You are in the raffle just for posting a TN!

All yea, no nay.

Top post updated and thank you, sir.

I’ll only object if I lose again. neener

Your TN is in- you’re the early favorite!

Who won the last one?

Thanks Frank, and Kirschenmann absolutely counts! I’ll have to ask Tegan why his own vineyard isn’t registered with the HVS, but it’s clear that the list Brig pulled from the HVS web site isn’t complete.

My favorite Turley Bob, thanks!

Bob, absolutely! Technically “Old Vines” doesn’t mean anything, but from these producers the label is true.

[quote="Todd F r e n c h
Who won the last one?[/quote]

Katrina Bl- just posted in the other thread.

Not crazy about this 2010 Mazzoni, but the week’s just getting warmed up. I have some older Mazzoni bottles and I may pop one to give this vineyard a fair shake…

• 2010 Ridge Mazzoni Home Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County (12/9/2014)
    Pop & Pour and followed over two nights. Dark purple-garnet color. Nose shows some effect of the vintage, green olives, dill, and alcohol. Palate shows good concentration of black raspberry, but a green note throughout and American Oak showing like this was raised in a pickle barrel. Heat on the finish but leaves the mouth watering with strong acidity. Recent ATP delivery, and my experience with these wines is that they take some time to come around, but this one is out of balance enough I’m not willing to take the chance.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thank you Anthony! …and yes absolutely the Geyserville counts.

I’m really happy to see we’re off to a great start! [drinkers.gif]

Mr P, thanks for counting this one and letting me give Peter a hand.

PS–the note would be better if Spencer had not parked himself right in the middle of the kitchen floor when I was trying to cook dinner. I guess I’m forgetting that the dogs own the house, we just live here.

• 2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Kirschenmann - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (12/9/2014)
    Opened this last night, saved about a glass for tonight, which I took the liberty to bump into and shattered the glass and all of the wine onto the granite countertop–didn’t even get a single damn drop! So, nothing to restaste today but from last night’s recall, this had a distinctive red cherry profile, tasting quite unlike Mike’s RRV bottlings. Really good acidity, but also some new wood still poking out in the form of vanilla bean-tinged oak. Seemed a little boozy at first, too, which I recall seemed to settle down as it aired out. Too bad about the spill, but stepping over a 15 year old sheltie, I’d rather break the glass than step on my pal on the floor!

Posted from CellarTracker

How long is the tasting and posting window open? I have Robert Biale Zins from Aldo’s, Old Crane and Old Kraft as well as some from Ridge but had planned to open a white wine tomorrow and I’m going to a Christmas party on Friday (I may take one of the Zins to the party.) I will open the Aldo’s on Monday if that counts and maybe taste another old vine zinfandel at the Christmas party.
Oops–I went back to the first page of the thread and see that it goes until the 16th. I will check back in on Monday with one or two tasting notes.

Hey, welcome our new co-host!

Brian McBrearty has jumped in and is joining Larry hosting this week.

Thanks for your generosity!

Screwed this one up a bit. I picked it up seeing the Picetti Vineyard, but didn’t realize that it wasn’t the Pichetti Vineyard from the list. I’m posting the note anyway as it is a pretty nice wine.

The nose is jammy & Berry filled. Some black pepper & brown sugar add another aromatic level. Juicy blackberry & strawberry on entry. This shows balancing acid & firm tannins from a 10% Petite Sirah addition. Good burger/BBQ wine.
image.jpg

I was quite excited when I saw this appear at one of Austin’s best wine stores recently. I was such a fan of the old Ravenswood Zins back in the late 70s and 80s. Now I am happy to try a Bedrock whenever I get the chance.

I suspected this would benefit from some air so I decanted about an hour before dinner. I made a home made beef stock for a risotto to which I added diced leftover grilled beef tenderloin at the last minute before serving. Sides included green beans and braised radicchio tossed with chopped Kalamata olives.

2013 Bedrock Vineyard, Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County. The 126th year of this vineyard which has 19 different varietals. 14.6% per the label.

Nice rich ruby color with some clearing at the rim. Very aromatic… Black cherry, dark plums, hints of black tea… Almost a whiff of eucalyptus after a while. Really smooth on the palate and more of the black dark fruits and a faint reminder of the warm brick thing I used to get when my Dad and I could afford Haut Brion. Nice bright acidity that made it really wonderful cutting through the rich main course. This has many years of evolution but I am quite happy to have taken tonight’s data point. Delicious …

Looking forward to more contributions to a good cause. Cheers, Bob