Week 3 Virtual Tasting - Historic Vineyards hosted by Larry P for Peter Tryba Kidney Fund

• 2012 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard Alexander Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (12/10/2014)

I had to check back in on this wine as I’m a huge Scherrer OMV fan, and my last bottle was disappointing (only in my expectations for a wine I love, by my recollection). It’s still far lighter in body and color than I recall the Scherrer OMV Zinfandel being, but it is integrating a bit, which is an improvement. I don’t see this as ever being a rich, fuller bodied Zinfandel, but that’s not Fred’s style - still, it seems lighter than what I remember from the many '04, '05, '06, and '09 OMV Zins I’ve enjoyed in the past, and missing the bramble character. I really do like the spice that has developed in this wine, and the lighter mouthfeel and high acid make it fantastic with spicy food. Finish is clean and crisp, but holds on to some red fruits for quite a while. Had there not have been the Benefit requiring an historic CA vineyard wine, I’d have let this rest with the other three I have, and I don’t plan on opening the other three for a while.

Thanks Anthony, Bob, and Todd for contributing, and big thanks to Brian for co-hosting [cheers.gif]

My contribution for tonight, this gem of a mixed-white vineyard near Sonoma Square:

Compagni Portis is one of the few remaining mixed- white vineyards. Planted in 1954, the vineyard is a field-blend of Gewurtzraminer, Trousseau Gris, Riesling, and several others. It is dry-farmed and organically-farmed by Phil Coturri, an crops are typically below 1 ton per acre. Starting with vintage 2010 the vineyard has been under the oversight of Bedrock Wine Co. and significant improvements have been made to remove blackberry and poison oak, put new wires in, increase the number of canes, and take out limbs infested by bot canker and eutypa.

http://www.historicvineyardsociety.org/registry/category.jsp?catid=362

• 2012 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Compagni Portis - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/10/2014)
    Pop & pour at fridge temp. Pale straw color. Nose of lychee nuts, peach blossoms, and ripe pears. Palate showing a Riesling character, with stone fruits - apricots and white peach, crisp acidity, finishing with minerals and floral notes. Does not come off as sweet at this stage as some older vintages, but minerality taking center stage. Paired nicely with Thai carryout.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Larry for stepping up and Brian for jumping on board as well. Very generous of both of you!

• 2008 Wine Guerrilla Zinfandel Old Vine Coffaro Vineyards - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (12/11/2014)
    Popped this as the front half of an '08 '09 WG Coffaro vertical. This was out of whack from the get-go. New American Oak and alcohol were on the forefront aromatically and on the palate and wouldn’t back down. The heat nearly burned my taste buds which made a subsequent glass easier to drink since I couldn’t taste anything any longer. On night two the alc backed off a bit to show some blackberry and chocolate covered black cherry but the oak and heat were still in charge. Have generally enjoyed Wine Guerrilla Zins but this was a big exception. The fact they had back vintages of this in the tasting room should have sounded an alarm. Guess mine needs a new battery.
  • 2009 Wine Guerrilla Zinfandel Old Vine Coffaro Vineyards - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (12/11/2014)
    OK, time for some redemption. On pnp this bottle showed the same oak treatment as the '08 but the alcohol was not nearly as invasive. Aromas were oak, black olive and black cherry. In the mouth it showed soft red currant and black raspberry and more chocolate covered cherries similar to the '08. Not a whole lot in the way of vintage variation here short of lower alcohol and fresher fruit flavors. Color me not impressed with either bottling, especially at the $40 price.

FAIL!! I have three bottles of Carlisle Gold Mine Ranch and it was not listed when I ran your link. . . .

BUT, it looks like my Carlisle collection is going to take a big hit this weekend. I have at least 18 of the vineyards, and more than half are Carlisles.

Excellent Jay, I’m looking forward to your notes!

If I weren’t so busy, I would break the bank - yours, not mine - and invite the entire NY crew to come to my house on Sunday to watch football and drink Historic Vineyard wines.

Yes, I have a slight apprehension that something like that could happen, but Peter needs it more than I do anyway. I’d probably just use that money to buy a bunch of wine. [cheers.gif]

1997 Ridge Monte Bello
Pop and pour at a gathering to welcome a friend who had moved away. Predictably it was tighter than he’ll for the first 90 minutes. It did open up after a while, but I would stay far away from any bottles. Give them 5 or better yet 10 years. No way to give a definitive note other than “stern.”

2013 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Gris Fannuchi Wood Road

Pop & pour. Great nose showing some peachy aromatics w/some citrus floating about. Skin contact here & it looks pink, but crystal clear. The palate is balanced. A great mix of grapefruit & mango cut with bright, dry acidity. Layered despite the light body. I don’t know if this grtape is a great market for an historic vineyard, but it is a damn fine bottle of wine.
image.jpg

The J-L Rossi Grenache-Syrah rocks too! Scott does a nice job with these.

This is my first wine from them. Won’t be my last. I’ll look for that one next. Thanks!

Larry, you are the best. If you do not object I would love to do the ol’ NPR “matching donation” for Peter.

2012 Carlisle Limerick Lane Zinfandel. A wine from two of my favorite people and from a vineyard my Dad made for Limerick Lane winery from 1994 to 1996. I am obviously biased. Limerick Lane vineyard lies at the juncture of Dry Creek, Chalk Hill, and the Russian River ava’s despite technically being in the RRV ava. This wine shares that special character, slightly blue-tinged perfume like RRV but a little more broad-shouldered and tannic like Dry Creek. A bit more Olympic athlete then cover model. Lovely stuff.

Excellent, thanks so much Morgan! grouphug

See you on Saturday…

2009 Carlisle Monte Rosso - Mike Officer’s first release with this iconic vineyard. Night one, very full bodied, noticeable acid (but not as much as the 2009 Carlisle Vineyard tasted last week), but balanced. Can’t taste the 15.2 alcohol. Night two, not as much body or acidity, but the flavors seem more intense. I like it better this night. Night three (which I realize is academic for most others), falling off a bit, but still very enjoyable.

Fascinating choice Anthony, and I’m happy we’re not seeing just Zin (not that there’s anything wrong with that!)

Morgan Twain-Peterson is in the house and is matching Larry, excellent. Added you to the co host list.

2012 Carlisle Hayne Vineyard Zinfandel. 1 hr decant. Moderate + nose of red and black raspberry, licorice and red flowers. If tasted blind I don’t think I would guess Zin, easy to drink, no hint of heat at all. Red and black fruits, anise and spice.

1997 Ravenswood Zinfandel Old Hill - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/12/2014)
17 years on this is fully mature, yet also still retains a core of black cherry fruit, accented by pepper and dust. It’s elegant, has a long and still somewhat tannic finish, and really speaks to the kind of Zinfandel I like. Drink now but no worries if you’re holding some.

Thanks Bob & David! These are both outstanding wines - the Carlisle Hayne was near WOTN at last summer’s HVS dinner, and the '97 Ravenswood Old Hill we had at Rosso’s last spring and it was amazing! Cheers [cheers.gif] to both of you.

Am I correct in that a Mayacamas Chardonnay fits the requirement?