Weightless, Red Fruited and Pure....Name Your Poison

Exactly, I tend to look for this at the producer level. In the case of Beaujolais, some absolutely fit this category while others, as you allude, can be dark, tannic beasts.

Burugndy: Jouan, Ramonet CM reds

Granache: Rayas, Comando G, Tribute to Grace

Italy: Terre Nere

Plus I wouldn’t call Barthod as weightless.

Jura trousseau & poulsards, Spanish bastardo

Good one. The purity comes at the hands of the best winemakers.

Metras might depend on one’s definition of “pure” and the specific bottle of Metras, but I get it. I would say Daniel Bouland, a producer that gets far too little attention, in my opinion. I would have also said Pascal Granger, but I’m not sure about that anymore as a recent vintage was disappointingly heavy and alcoholic.

First thing that comes to mind is Italy. Nebbiolo in particular…elegant, lightweight mouthfeel, red fruit, higher acid with high tannin. Pure!!!

I was at Daniel Bouland in August - whilst I bought a ton of wines, I wouldn’t call them “red fruited and pure” (certainly compared to others named above). To me, more masculine, dark fruited and concentrated than Roilette (which I also visisted).

I would describe Roilette as more dark berry fruit. I have had the 2017 Fleurie twice this week and may have another one today. Hated it.

Red fruit, how about Etna Nerello Mascalese?

Newbie here, but I thought the bottle of 2014 Daniel Bouland Morgon Schiste I had 5 months ago was on the red spectrum of fruit:
Bright crunchy red fruits highlighted with rose petals, earth and a bit of spice. Just the slightest suggestion of forest smells on the nose and palate. Silky texture, medium density, good finish. No heat. Drinking beautifully right now.
Agree that Thivin is a darker more “masculine” wine. Never had Roilette or Metras before.

Frappato, Nerello Mascalese (both Sicilian), Nebbiolo. Mencia, sometimes. The best examples of Chambourcin, too. Those are the ones that immediately come to mind. I’m not a fan of Beaujolais but it definitely fits the bill too.

Would second the Metras. Had a 2011 Fleurie recently that was absolutely elegant and delightful.

Usually, but not always. There are some darker versions of Etna Rosso and most are at 14-15% alcohol, so I wouldn’t consider them “weightless”. You tend to feel it after a couple glasses, but some are are lower alcohol (though not many).

I really like Lafarge for this. If I had the means, Mugnier and Puffeney.

A number of Volnay’s fit the bill for me. Lesser 1er such as Voillot’s Fremiets hit all 3 out of the park.

*Sorry missed the outside Burgundy proviso in the OP- in that case, cooler Ontario Pinots - several from PEC come to mind.

Overnoy Poulsard
Ganevat j’en Veux (none of that encore stuff)
Puffeney Trousseau
Truchot
pre-99 Giacosa
Mugnier

Musar when it’s 25+ years old
Thierry Richoux Irancy Veaupessiot
Puffery Reds

/thread

ftw

I agree with many of the suggestions already made – a good bottle of Overnoy Poulsard epitomizes these descriptors, with Puffeney not far behind. In a less expensive vein, the Birichino Cinsault from Bechthold Vineyard is a very good example. 1880s vines and shares a lot of personality traits with a very expressive cru Beaujolais.

Well, we usually agree. You have a good palate, Jim :slight_smile:

-mark

Agree, as much as I love Barthod (#1 producer in my cellar my QTY), I agree; it is not weightless.