Weightless, Red Fruited and Pure....Name Your Poison

I am on board with Mugnier and Puffeney, but Lafarge? Some of the bottlings are quite structured. Love the wines, but I’m not sure about weightless. -mark

I suppose I had a recent '08 Greves on the mind that we gulped down but was thinking the regular Volnay or Vendanges, less so the 1er Cru Volnays.

2011 Winery of Good Hope Pinotage, on about Day 5.

I was going to add Poulsard but it’s mentioned. Love the crunchy red cranberry.

I know the OP said outside red Burgundy, but I have to agree with the mention of Ramonet and add Domaine Dublere. Taste one of these and see if anything (obviously other than Truchot) comes close.

Now there is a grape that you dont see pop up around here very often…

1 Like

Here to echo the Oregon Pinot call. Especially Kelley Fox and Goodfellow jump out to me.

Also like the Sicily thought. Frappato is the easy call: cos and occhipinti for sure, and specific nerellos, like cornelisson.

Many of the Mourvedres from Dirty & Rowdy.

Yes! I haven’t had the ones you mention, but Mac Forbes is SO red fruited and floral, like strawberries and rosewater. I love it. The value is great, too. I know OP says beyond Pinot Noir, but I’ll bet not a lot of people on this board have tried this wine.

Like Mac. Also he makes a nice Cabernet blend called Hugh.

A lot of the Aussie pinot makers have such small production that it never makes it outside AU. We are talking about a 1k-3k cases max. Timo Myer was one of my top 5 but was really hard to buy in decent quantity

Even producers who want to sell in the US have trouble getting decent distribution. I think the market for Australian wines being hurt by the big brands and overripe messes now makes it difficult to get consumers to want to try the good wines. It’s sad; there’s so much interesting wine being produced in Australia.