Westchester County - New York

Nice guy. I do remember long ago that he wanted to charge corkage based on the value of the bottle that I brought. I talked him out of it.

I think the wine list is quite good and the mark-up justifies their 1 bottle only policy. Have been there twice the last few weeks and while the food has just been OK, the wine list makes it a worthwhile visit.

Wow, over a year and not a single post. Well, I come to you with not one but two ZERO-dollar corkage gems that have popped up in Westchester in the last few months!

1. Wolfert’s Roost in Irvington (http://www.wolfertsroostirv.com/#wolfertsroost) - superb farm to table, wainscotted walls beauty smack in the middle of Main Street. Delicious sweet tea-brined fried chicken and korean influenced ribs. The tomahawk chop looks amazing but at $129 it was a pass for me. Highly recommended.

2. Copper Kettle Cafe in Hartsdale (http://copperkettlecafe.com/) - this unassuming, casual cafe across from the NYSC on Harstdale Ave. is turning out amazing sandwiches and salads. Nothing on the menu reaches even $20. Service is super friendly and space is airy & cozy with about 8 seats at the L-shaped bar and another 8 or so tables.

I enjoyed Wolferts Roost (despite tumblers, next time with bring stemware)

I thought Mark G had posted about Bistro 12 in Tarrytown, but don’t see it. $20 corkage, good stemware, good attitude. Food was not especially adventurous (Portuguese influenced) but very well-executed. We had sardines, octopus, striped bass and veal with a '01 Trimbach CFE-375eme Ann.

You are right, I posted about the restaurant here: In which I get to be horribly geeky, and there is a note on a Damoy Clos De Beze 1993 - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers not in the BYO restaurants.

La Cremaillere, $60 bottle, $70 Champagne. Probably 1 bottle limit. Nice wine list but expensive. On the border of Bedford and Greenwich.

Last time we went there for an anniversary, we were very underwhelmed by the food. Much prefer La Panatiere for that type of restaurant.

They’ve been offering Groupons there for at least 18 months. Great food.

And their wine list is actually quite good.

They used to have some gems on it, but I have to confess I did pillaged it a little (1993 D’Angerville Ducs for $125) and they also raised their prices.

Went to Saltaire a few days ago in Port Chester. Food was very good as well as the service. I think corkage was 30$.

My wife and I finally went to Moderne Barn for Restaurant Week lunch. What a steal for $20 bucks. The reason we’ve never eaten there is their unreasonably priced $45 corkage. I have a choice where to spend my restaurant dollars, and I’d much rather go to Restaurant North (also in Armonk), where you can BYO one bottle for free. Both places have good food.

I did think the MB wine list was priced high at ~3x’s mark on the producers that I know. edit Some bottles that I checked were 2.5 x’s.
Lots of higher end wines, but if I’m going to spend that kind of money (never going to happen), I’ll bring a good cab from my cellar in the $50 - $100 range, and suck up the corkage.

Example:
'12 Carlisle Zin Papera Zin $38.50 > $110 on the list.
'10 Bedrock Zin Monte Rosso $39.00 > $105.

http://rivermarketbarandkitchen.com/ on the water in Tarrytown, on the station south side.

We’ve been here before. Corkage $35.00. The food is good, even if it’s priced at Manhattan prices.
We re-visited last night for Restaurant Week. Our 3 course dinner was $29.95. At that price, with legitimate menu offerings, you should go every night.

Service was good until the end. The waiter got lost bringing us the check. The good news > I ran into Mike Reff at the bar, along with Jim Gallagher. What a pleasant surprise.

Anything new to add?

Well seeing as Esquire Hack hasn’t updated the original post since 2011, does it matter? Ha!

Don’t think Wolfert’s Roost in Irvington has been mentioned. No liquor license (or plans of getting one) and no corkage on any day. No limits. No stems, just tumblers. No tipping either (included in prices). One of the best restaurants on the river towns.

I see that the menu has an item with your name on it. neener

What’s your opinion about an offline at Wolfert’s Roost?

Would love to do one Dan. That fried chicken is deeeeee-licious.

We must have gone on an off night. The chicken was quite bready, and sweet.

The chicken at MP Taverna is extraordinary, and I could probably get them to do something about corkage.

Mai Madigan will be in town late December, and wants me to organize an offline. Stay tuned.

From the Meritage website: “Tuesday Nights - No Corkage. Bring a bottle of wine and we will wave our corkage fee. Not available during holidays or with other promotions.”

Meritage is solid! And good cocktails to boot.