What 2017 White Burg are you drinking tonight?

Kris,

We share a lot of the same tastes. Thanks for trying these out. Mine are still not delivered but I look forward to these wines. I have some Jacques Carillon Puligny Referts coming also. All of these positive notes make me very excited to try the wines. I have only tasted a couple of village wines and the Pernot BBM. One a Chassagne Montrachet from Bouchard was stunning for the appellation. The Pernot BBM is crystalline and very young. It definitely needs time.

Wished I could find Francois Labet’s (Pierre Labet) Meursault Tillets. If you have a public source, PLEASE let me know. It is stunning and the equal to Roulot to me.

Kris -

Thanks for asking. The easy answer is Dujac because it was a treat to be able to taste with Jeremy in Morey.

Since we stayed in Meursault, we did a lot of local visits - including:

-Genot-Boulanger (loved every wine we tried with Guillaume)
-Boyer-Martenot (enjoyed their 1ers)
-Domaine Gauffroy (surprisingly good villages Puligny and Meursault at good prices)
-Jean Monnier (we bought a wonderful Pommard Epenots Clos de Citeaux)
-Domaine Roy in Auxey-Duresses (loved his white Auxey-Duresses 1er Le Val, and thought the lineup was solid)
-Chateau de Citeaux/Philippe Bouzereau
-Ropiteau Freres (kinda meh)
-Also had a fun lineup at the Caveau de Puligny Montrachet which included 3 whites and 3 reds.

Lastly, we had incredible tastings at Deutz and Jose Dhondt in the Champagne region. I adore both of their lineups and had a blast doing the tour and elegant tasting at Deutz as well as the intimate tour and simple tasting at Dhondt (all in French).

2017 Domaine Bouchard Meursault Les Clous is a bit riper, more exotic, with richness and drive. It is quite approachable now.

2017 Chassagne-Montrachet Domaine Blain-Gagnard. Quite nice.

Interesting, I haven’t found a 2017 that remotely felt ripe (ie. 2015/2016) they have all been really linear.

Likewise Kris, reckon the oak influence contributes to the impression, but certainly didnt have the cut of other 17s that i have tried.

Chavy-Chouet Bourgogne blanc les Femelottes has a nice mouthfeel and good density for a bb but there is some sweetness (RS?) that is a tad cloying. Hoping that will age out with a year or two?

Whoops - I totally forgot to mention my visit and tasting at Patrick Javillier. Really wonderful lineup across the board. I enjoyed their 2017 Bourgogne Oligocene so much I tracked down a case when I got home. I’m enjoying a 2014 Bourgogne Cuvee des Forgets right now which is also delicious.

And I agree on your impressions of the 2017 whites — no wine has been “ripe” or round to me yet, but very direct (linear as you say Kris) and, in a way, haunting.

Interesting list of lesser known estates!

Cross posting a note from Don as this sounds awesome.

Thanks Kris for the link to my post. I loved the Mikulski.

More winning 2017 whites from Jeremy and Kent.

Had the Laflaive Macon Verzy on Thursday. Very big meyer lemon drop but balanced and approachable. Quite delicious after 30 minutes or so. Still at $65, overpriced!

1 Like

Sample from supplier - 2017 Prosper Maufoux Chablis AC - fat, oily, lacking precision and freshness, hint of sweetness :frowning: not recommended.

Two recently

2012 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Clos St. Landry Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (11/21/2019)
Worldwide Wines that Don’t Suck (Saint Genevieve, Minneapolis): Liked this a lot. Good use of oak. Apricots, lemon zest, apple and spice. Medium plus finish and complex wine. Should drink now through 2024. (92 points)

2011 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru La Forest - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (11/21/2019)
Worldwide Wines that Don’t Suck (Saint Genevieve, Minneapolis): Solid overall with shells, lemon, stones, apricots and mild oak. A touch of sweetness on the palate. Very enjoyable and I would recommend drink over the next few years. Don’t see this aging long term. (91 points)

This was $35, is $65 the going tariff now? At $35 it was high end Macon with Lafon, $65 seems way too high to me unless it’s on a wine list.

Little older than 2017!

[quoteLittle older than 2017!][/quote]Time for a new prescription on the glasses!!!

Winesearcher has it from $40 to $50. I don’t have the original offer that I got (R. Fields, Honolulu) but it seemed to me to be $65. I’ll ask the person who brought it.

Its 50 bucks at several retailers in my neck of the woods. I like it but I have problems paying that much for a Macon.