What BEER are you drinking? (Part 1)

I think I got a cavity just from looking at that list!

I’m drinking homebrew: Holiday Ale from Williams Brewing.

Had arrogant bastard yesterday. was on tap. fairly bitter but a short finish

Not much of a beer drinker. Mostly Samuel Adams and Chimay.

Just picked up a 22oz of Nøgne Ø/Jolly Pumpkin/Stone Special Holiday Ale for $10 from Whole Foods… Probably open that up tomorrow.

I had one of these a couple nights ago. Interesting beer - lots of eucalyptus and other spices. Not something that I wanted more than a taste of though. Then again, I make German-style lager beers for a reason…

Been working on my beer stash. Some thoughts:

Fuller’s 1845 - more alcohol and hops than the ESB but not as good, overall a mild disappointment.
St Bernardus 12 - personal favorite, duh
Westmalle Tripel - personal #2, awesome as always
Belhaven - very good, better than Fuller’s, not as good as Traquair.
Sam Smith’s Nut Brown - I appreciate this more every time I drink it, never boring, always really excellent, should make this a house beer.
Gouden Carolus Tripel - Esters and honey and flowers. A bit odd. Is it a honey tripel? I dunno but not my favorite tripel at all. Big disappointment.
Pranqster - Good as always, in league with Leffe and Affligem, but suffered for being a St Bernardus chaser.

now in MN …

Barley John’s - Amber Ale … got a growler from my cuz for X-Mas; yum!!
Summit - IPA
Bell’s - Two Hearted Ale
Bell’s - Amber Ale
James Page - Amber Lager

while I was in FL, had the opportunity to try

a Belgian Amber dubbel … I was surprised I liked this as much as I did, as dubbels are usually too sweet for me … sorry I cannot remember the name

Reinaert - Flemish Wild Ale Special Reserve … never tried this one, either. Thought it was pretty good, but I was hoping for more sourness from the brettanomyces.

I am finding the eucalyptus and juniper combination much more appealing than I had imagined. Have drained the bottle but I’m running out to buy another one either. Probably my favorite holiday brew I’ve tried but they aren’t at the top of my list anyways.

Went to Toronado in North Park (San Diego) last night. Good pub fare for the very modest prices, great on tap list of Belgians and more, and very fair prices. I had the Dubuisson Scaldis Noel, first time for that one, loved it, and had the 08 St Bernardus Christmas Ale, good, perhaps a hair better than the 09, but it could just be age, but I actually preferred the Scaldis, at least last night. 3 people had dinner and their fill of great beer for a $57 tab, not shabby at all!

Josh, you should try The Linkery. I think you’ll like the beers and you can easily skip the meats.

My sister lives in North Park and with all the new stuff opening there it’s a freaking buffet table full of places I’m psyched to try. I’ve had several other strong recommendations for The Linkery and I mean to check it out soon!

Drinking a 16.9 of Pinkus pils, nice wheaty/hoppy nose, full body, slightly bitter finish which makes it too easy to drink. Recommended by beer guy at a local store as a hard to get item, I can’t really see why?

I got a Mr Beer as a gift for Christmas. I think it should be great. 15 years ago I got a beer bag kit where all I had to do was to add water. The beer turned to be great. The only drawback was that I could not bottle the beer and the natural carbonation was lost after a few days.

Kronenburg 1664
Drakes 1500 Pale Ale
Moose Drool

Aecht Schlenkerla - “Oak Smoke” Rauchbier (8.0% abv) — first time trying this particular offerring from Schlenkerla – very tasty
Duchesse de Bourgnone
Stone - Double Dry Hopped IPA
Stone - Levitation Ale
Stone - IPA
Stone - “Ruination” Double IPA
Port Brewing - “Jetty” IPA
Port Brewing - (a very tasty Hazelnut Brown ale)
New Belgium Brewing - “La Folie” Sour Brown Ale
Moose Drool - Brown Ale
Monk’s- Flemish Sour Red Ale
Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale
Green Flash - IPA
“Old Speckled Hen” - English Ale (on nitro)
Bear Republic - “Racer 5” IPA
Dale’s - Pale Ale
Dale Brothers - “Winter Haze” Winter Ale

Tried Dogfish Head Palo Cortado Marron last night. Gack. Interesting character, but overdone in every way… too much wood, too sweet, too alcoholic. I can’t think of ever having had a Dogfish beer that I thought was worth drinking, to be honest, all too overdone for my tastes.

I haven’t tried the Palo Cortado Marron but I agree about Dogfish in general. They almost ruined IPAs for me [shock.gif]

Haven’t done Dogfish, but my daughter and I visited Sonoma Springs Brewery back in October. I don’t know how they sell anyone a second beer. Horribly oaked, herbal and medicinal.

Hitachino White