What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Delete

Delete

1 Like

Delete

Open #7 (Sta. Rita Hills). All in for ~$13. Maybe from Luna Vineyards? Pours light strawberry. Typical nose. Slight barnyard. Drinks very well. Light body. Well balanced. Very pleased.

Would be interested if folks would be willing to pay an additional $3-5/bottle above what was paid for the various offers? Ie: great QPR at $15, what about at $18? Asking because if offers come out again (as was mentioned by Cam previously, but at higher prices) would be helpful for folks who did not purchase first time around but due to positive feedback are interested in purchasing second time around.

Delete

Toby, I did read the info about Claudine and wanted it to win. I guess the semi-blind proved that I am no Jeb. dN#12 did lose points in balance because of its high oak. I look forward to re-doing this in 6 months.

They are CA Chardonnays, anyways. Not something people always agree on.

This is a great question that’s practical. But I’d also be curious at what price point in general people would say “NOPE”. Largely hypothetical but that’s how you truly get at the QPR. Now some people won’t pay >$30 for a bottle of wine, period. So that’s not really relevant. But for the people on this board that do buy $100, $200, bottles, I will be fascinated to hear their views on the bottles as they come and what they think they’d pay for it if offered a case today.

Delete

I got a case of the #8, a $14 Cabernet some time ago. it was ok, but nothing special. Maybe I opened too soon.

Just PnP a OG No. 09 Carmel Valley Pinot - don’t feel like doing formal tasting notes, but at $10 bucks/btl (just shy of $13 delivered), I’m (again) pretty damn happy. I don’t think this is going to be one to age, but it is drinking well right out of the gate and I expect it will continue to do so for 5 years or so. Very nice.

Weighted average that’s like 2x what you paid! Amazing value then!

Delete

the amount of hand wringing and arguing over these (clearly) value plays is just amazing. Buy it or don’t. Drink it or don’t. Cellar it or don’t.

Personally, every bottle I’ve opened so far (about a half dozen) has met or exceeded my expectations, and that’s good enough for me.

1 Like

Really confused. I didn’t ask you what $ it drank like I said if you had an option now to buy it for more what would you pay for it? If the answer is you’d pay $25 for these wines, today, then isn’t that the answer? Not sure what the great QPR of Alexander Valley Cab has to do with it? You’d buy that too? Awesome. Big wine cellar!

Delete

Question for you Eric. For the wines that you’ve tried so far, would you pay the retail price Cam noted on the offers for those wines? e.g. would you pay the say $50 retail for a wine Cam sold for $10?

Coravined a 3oz pour of n.08 cabernet and n.15 merlot, right off the truck again.

The merlot is much more elegant than i expected given the notes and likely producer. It has great red fruit, smooth velvety mouthfeel and a dry but not astringent finish. It should be ready to drink relatively soon after a few weeks or a month to settle down.

The n.08 is darker fruit, bigger body, and very dry finish. Some dark chocolate and earthy funk in this. Nothing jumped out at me other than the dry finish. I really had to focus on this to create an identity/note for it. Definitely needs some time to settle and hopefully it comes around, but for now it isn’t striking me as a great value.

This makes three DN I’ve tried in 3oz pours. N.05 gets me most excited for what it can become, but even with where it is now, it is the one I am really pleased with.

The merlot n.15 is solid and will improve, but different than what I expected. Definitely a good value considering price paid.

N.08 needs to improve a lot to be a win. If it is Anthem as expected, I’m not surprised as I believe their cabs need time to come around, and they don’t release them typically until they have a year in the bottle, and the DN have had a few months and just arrived today.

All in all, I’m pleased thus far, the wines are super young, and they literally came off the truck a few hours before I poured. No complaints here. Its been fun to try them.

[cheers.gif]

I thought all of dN’s corks were synthetic. I was pretty sure you can’t use coravin with synthetic closures. Is that not the case?

Yeah, its not recommended but it does work. The reseal is not always good, but should be okay. I plan to consume the bottles i coravined in the short term, so hopefully all is ok.