What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

I’ve found it helps to pop a toothpick in the hole after you coravin a synthetic cork. Still not an ideal scenario and you def need to drink sooner than later…but it seems to help a little bit.

Wow. That’s your takeaway from our exchange? Adios? I don’t think my questions were remotely offensive. You just can’t answer them. On one hand you said you basically thought the wines were wildly overly hyped and not worth the “retail price” and on the other hand said “yah you can go ahead and buy them for a few dollars over what I paid for them” when someone asked if it made sense to pay up if they offer them in a 2nd tranche. I was just trying to reconcile. I didn’t even direct the question at you for “what would you pay for these wines” if you didn’t know the cost, you just chose to answer. And I thought it was completely fair to link reviews to #1 since you have told us about 10 times you don’t like it and I haven’t heard anyone else say the same. For a $10 wine mind you.

Nothing I said was offensive. But you’ve had a problem with me for months so makes sense.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for that. Do they get much leakage if you lay them on the side? I don’t have much experience with corvin. I considered getting one years back, but nowadays I kinda feel like the repour is a more affordable solution to the same problem with similar results.

Yeah, synthetic corks don’t reseal the same as natural or micro-agglomerated cork. I would not lay them on their side, since the potential for wine to leak out and stain stuff is pretty high.

For wine with a synthetic cork, I think Repour is a much better fit than Coravin.

That is a good idea. There is literally no evidence of a coravin being used on the cork, and no leakage, so I feel confident in the seal, especially for another 2 days or 2 weeks until I pop them for good.

Chris, is there situation in which you’d prefer to use the coravin over repor? With a natural cork, is there any difference between them in terms in terms of wine preservation?

Also just to clarify, it looks like these are micro-agglomerated corks.

1 Like

They work in different ways. Repour absorbs oxygen occupying the head space of the bottle, whereas coravin displaces wine with inert argon gas. As such, as long as you use coravin properly (purge air from the needle before using, etc.) it should preserve the wine longer than Repour.

However, over the span of a week or so, there won’t be much difference between the two. So I prefer using Repour on bottles that I will drink within the week. If I want to taste something over a longer term, I’ll use coravin. I think I would say a month is about the max that I would expect a coravined bottle to last without degrading too much.

Weird, I thought he said he was using Nomacorc?

Now that you mentioned it, there were discussions on the main dN thread over closures. It appears that for the first couple of released cam used VINC corks with are micro-agglomerated corks, but for later released switched to Nomacorc which is synthetic. I appears you’ve only dug into bottles with the VINC corks.

Love it. Virtually all the cabs that we have uncovered have not been released by the producers and won’t for 1-2 years. So it makes sense that they aren’t ready for prime time yet. Storage is definitely a cost and needs to be added into the value proposition. I got all of these and have two cases of #8 so I hope that one develops over time.

What other #s did you order that you are waiting for?

Thanks. I’ve used the repour on a bottle over the course of a month or so and didn’t notice much degradation of the wine two or three weeks in. Granted I think it depends a lot on how full the bottle is and how much oxygen the iron inside the capsule has to absorb and I’ve had some situations where the repour really didn’t keep the wine well for extended periods, so YMMV, widely.

I vote that MatthewT just make a list of all the OG’s with a little bit of info so we can just go back to Post 1 as a reference. He has to do some work to maintain cult leader status.

Waiting on #1, 40, 41, 42, 66 (split 66 and wont have until Christmas)

I vote that’s actually a really good idea but I dunno seems like a lot of work but also seems like a really good idea. Like a 2 liner on every one. And it’s pinned there. Hmmmmmm. Maybe I will do that.

You took a HARD stop from #15 to #40. Why did you restart? Cellar room? I mean I get the stop, I’m super stressed about figuring where to put this wine. I thought off site would be easy but it’s not. Just curious why the restart. You hadn’t tried them yet so what made you get back in?

Isn’t there a google sheet for this Already that can be shared?

No, nobody has put every single # in a spreadsheet. Just the ones they have bought. I wish someone would just do it. Not complicated. Every #, what it is, what it cost, what cam says retail is, maybe if he says winery blend or not, and finally what the options the board thinks it is (it’s never more than 2 options). I aint doing it.

I really considered all of them, but even before buying any offers, I committed to 2018 only and Bordeaux reds only. That is mostly what I drink and they are more expensive. I can find affordable whites, roses, zins etc. and really felt that the combination of current economic climate + 2018 surplus + 2018 quality created a special situation that I wanted to capitalize on. But, i also wanted to stay reigned in and not lose control to the hype or FOMO. I’m happy with where I landed so far.

Yah I also didn’t buy whites, rose’s etc. Well I did buy 2 cases of white for my sister in law. But #20 to #39 had lots of interesting cabs. High end ones.

40/41/42 weren’t cabs I guess? I thought virtually all the reds were cab dominated blends. And labeled as cabs. (75%+, really 90%)