What did you cook tonight?

Right now, in the oven, Jacques Pepin’s Beef Stew in Red Wine Sauce. No water, no broth, just red wine! Some leftover EMH Black Cat Cabernet (mixed vintages) provides the “juice” for this simple recipe. They build up in the refrigerator until it is time for something like this.

Going to open my own 2011 to have alongside. Will serve with mashed potatoes and carrots.

I would post a photo, but I don’t know how [wow.gif] .

I am sure that if you asked Hartlip nicely, he would provide a helping hand.

Made a slab of bacon and some ham hocks for later use.

12900976_936255953159483_6941831999601733990_o (1024x768).jpg

I’m just a Northern Jew boy, but how exactly do you use a ham hock? When you throw it into a pot of beans, do you chop it up? De-skin it? Leave it whole?

The color is truly magnificent though.

For me, it is a pretty drawn out process.

Night before I plan on cooking beans, I will toss a couple of hocks in a gallon of water. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce to simmer for about four hours until the skin splits.

Remove the hocks from the water and allow to cool to room temp. Meanwhile strain the hock stock into a large bowl and put into the fridge overnight.

When the hock is cool, remove the meat from the bone/skin and chop roughly. Place in fridge.

In the morning, remove the solidified fat cap from the stock and proceed with bean recipe adding the chopped hocks.

I do it this way as well, but I’ll freeze for later use just like some folks do chicken stock. I do the same with ham bones. If I’m cooking dried beans sometimes I’ll just throw the hocks in, but I like having the stock available whenever I do greens as I don’t cook them very long. It’s a little difficult to find green hocks and shanks around here.

Milton, I get mine at the local Korean supermarket. Certainly, Mobile has something ethnic to go peruse.

18 lb Smoked Ham from North Country Hams, N.H. , Mac & Cheese, Indian corn, Salad, mixed fruit salad, pineapple upsidedown cake & a few Chards.
Happy Easter ! [highfive.gif]

Picked up some local acorn fed prosciutto (la quercia) from the local cheesemonger and some 18 month marcel petite comté, so had to do it proud. Did a homemade marscapone (whole milk and cream cultured with fage and buttermilk at 110 for 8 hrs, then strained), toasted some almonds, reduced a cherry balsamic to glaze, drizzled with TJs truffle honey and veleta olive oil. Dried figs, and some hydroponic red romaine from my buddy who joined us.

Jason yes it is.
recipe here:
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/honey-tabasco-pork-belly.aspx

image.jpeg

It was delicious and enhanced by a 2004 Cornas and a 2009 Cabot Kimberly’s Syrah.

no photos.

Grilled prawns marinated in fish sauce, thai basil, chilis, mint, garlic,lime, sugar, soy sauce and olive oil. Served along side grilled yellow mangos. Pretty decent. Might have been really tasty if i did them in lettuce wraps

Were the mangos green or ripe? How did you cut/slice?

a great pairing

and plated with roasted butternut squash and friseé salad

Must be… a little off. The WB posting. How do you post a picture from… my computer pictures or Flickr ? Curiious

Paul

Dr P.
I use flickr

Looks delicious, Suzanne. How was the Morgon?

Sherri,- this was the unsulphured (sans soufre) version. there is a small “N” on the back label.
the 2014 is a great bottle of beaujolais- it’s fruit, acid and tannins are all perfectly balanced

Did Beer Butt Guinness Hen

Tell you that roasted backbone was awesome

Besides the Cornish Game hen.

WE made Braciala too

1 Like