What happened with Arcadian??

I do wonder why he wanted the letter removed?

Yeah, this wine is some kind of wonderful, for sure.

These wines could probably be put into the “Undervalued, for now” thread. I can’t imagine we’ll see many of these hitting the secondary market, as I assume most are held by devoted fans who, now, don’t have future vintages to look forward to. I bet the rare bottles that show up on secondary markets from this point forward are going to go for prices far more reflective of the quality in the bottle than what the prices have been up to this point. I won’t be letting any of mine go, but will happily open them with folks! [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Three of these (and three of the 2001) arrived on my doorstep just now! [cheers.gif]
When I ordered, I mentioned wanting to try the 2001 to taste the wine in its prime; Joe made an interesting reply:

I would highly recommend the 2000 Francesca for near term drinking and the 2001 for cellaring. Both are the best of the vintage but 01 was a long term vintage. The 2000 is at it peak but will hold for a year or two more.

It was surprising to me; CT suggests that the 2001 is ready to go now. I guess we’ll find out over the next few years!

No harm in opening one to see what you think.

1 Like

I have some 05 and 08 in the cellar along with some 2011 and 13 Clos Pepe. My next up will probably be the 13 Clos Pepe to check on it.

No harm at all - I’m looking forward to cracking one open later this month. After that, I’ll forget about the remaining bottles for another year or three.

Currently a day left on the 04 for $40 a bottle on auction. Next time you are in town I will share a bottle with you! [cheers.gif]

Try it over 3 days and then you will know how long to age it! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Ben,

Open one of each, pop them in bags, and blind taste them. The 2000 Francesca is nothing short of breathtaking – it would be a travesty for you to not open one of those right now.

1 Like

I tried one of the 01’s and would agree with Joe they could use a bit more time. IMHO the 2000 is scary good right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just found an anomalous bottle of 2008 Purisima Vineyard Syrah for $50 at a local store yesterday - of course I snapped it up. The last couple of Arcadian bottles I had were all corked; this thing, on the other hand, is pristine. I wonder where it might have come from? The owner had no idea.

1 Like

Would we say the 2007 Sleepy Hollow Pinot from Arcadian is in a good spot or over the hill?

Based on my taste one year ago (in this tasting), I’d say the wine is in a great spot right now and will keep - if not evolve - for a handful of years more.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, thanks! I also can get the sleepy holly syrah, which I imagine will be in an awesome spot right now.

Also can get the Pisoni and Sierra Madre Pinots, but not sure what vintage. Any one have any comments on those?

1 Like

Haven’t had Sierra Madre, but Pisoni '07 is probably the best Arcadian I’ve had so far (admittedly haven’t had that much experience):

• 2007 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (23.10.2021)
    13,8% alcohol, 6,5 g/l acidity.

Medium-deep, moderately translucent raspberry red color with a slightly evolved pomegranate hue. Ripe, juicy and slightly sweetish nose with dark-toned, slightly sauvage aromas of black cherries, some brambly blackberries, light bretty notes of phenolic smoke and leathery funk, a little bit of ripe black raspberry, a hint of earthy Pinosity and a faint touch of Band-Aid. The wine is dry, savory and quite concentrated on the palate with a medium body and intense flavors of brambly black raspberries, some smoky phenolic tones, a little bit of stony minerality, light funky notes of new leather, a hint of ripe cherry and a touch of savory wood spice. Wonderfully silky yet firm texture with high acidity and still moderately grippy medium-plus tannins. The finish is long, ripe and juicy with rather savory flavors of succulent dark fruits, some leathery funk, a little bit of smoky phenolic spice, light brambly notes of black raspberries, a hint of gamey meat and a sweet touch of wizened red cherry.

A beautiful, complex and harmonious Pinot Noir that shows a little bit of evolution but also quite a bit of still surprisingly vibrant and youthful fruit along with a subtle yet somewhat noticeable streak of bretty funk that really doesn't obfuscate any complexity, only adds to it. The wine shows remarkable intensity - more so than any other of the four Arcadian Pinots we had - and impressive sense of structure that doesn't feel in any way excessive relation to the body or to the fruit. The wine is distinctively Californian in its ripe, even somewhat concentrated fruit, so you couldn't mistake this wine for a Burgundy, but with its savory and slightly funky overall character, this isn't your run-of-the-mill Cali Pinot either. Terrific stuff by any standards. Not affordable at 63€, but delivers for the price. Highly recommended. (95 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

Joe made one vintage of the Sierra Madre Pinot – 2009. I had it twice in 2017; first bottle was too shrill for me, but the second bottle was gorgeous, seemingly with a long life ahead of it. Joe’s take on Pisoni Pinot is, imo, peerless. So long as it’s not the uber-ripe 2004, you’re nearly guaranteed to have an excellent bottle of wine.

2 Likes

Not over the hill and arguably not even ready. But in a good enough spot to enjoy so long as you’re not sacrificing your last bottle.

I’m not the biggest fan of the SLH (Santa Lucia Highlands) appellation for Pinot Noir, but generally like those from Sleepy Hollow and Arcadian’s is top notch. Pisoni is generally too big, dark, and muscular for my taste. The SLH is great for Syrah. Sierra Madre is down by Santa Maria, much different appellation, I’ve had some nice wines from the vineyard although I don’t think it’s a top vineyard.

-Al

1 Like

Even Joe’s take on it?