What Irish Whisky Are You Drinking?

That Redbreast Lustau finish is very nice indeed. You should give Yellow Spot a try as well.

Proper 12 is straight-up garbage. It may get better over time as they make adjustments and increase age, but what I had was damn near undrinkable.

Whoa, really?

Yep. I thought it taste like watered down gasoline and to add complexity they offered up some lighter fluid notes.

Yikes.

I am shocked it is THAT bad- but not shocked it isn’t good. I figured with the resurgence of Irish distilling there must be enough bulk whisky on the market to produce a generic, if uninspired, Ray Walker type effort. But there are now so many labels, that maybe the good stuff is hard to get.

1 Like

Jealous. And agree out of my price range.

Is Teeling 18 y/o Renaissance comparable?

I haven’t had that one.

I found Green Spot at a Costco in Scottsdale, Az this week for $40 a bottle, had to buy a 6 pack.

2 Likes

Sometimes the SoCal costcos do a ‘buy 1 get 1 $10 off the second’ for Green and Yellow Spot.

Coincidentally, I just received today 2 bottles of Adelphi Irish that we purchased at a UK auction in 2019. Have been waiting for tariffs to go away before shipping…and it arrived today!

SLANEY MALT 1991 9 YEAR OLD ADELPHI LIMERICK 59.80% 70CL This Adelphi Limerick “Slaney” is an Irish single malt laid down in 1991 and bottled in 2000. Bottled at a cask strength of 59.80% ABV and one of only 222.

• SHANNON GRAIN 1991 9 YEAR OLD ADELPHI LIMERICK 67.30% 70CL A single cask of grain whiskey that was distilled at Cooley Distillery and bottled by Adelphi under their Limerick Distillery trade mark. Aged for 9 years and bottled at 67.30%.

The second one was inspired by a visit Jonathan did around 2000 to Edinburgh, and met with Jamie Walker, grandson of Archibald Walker, the founder of Adelphia. One bottle he talked up that visit was this bottle, which he didn’t have to sell, but which they found in a pub nearby. Half empty, they bought the remainder by making an “offer they couldn’t refuse” and drank up among the three of them.

Had a Redbreast 15 on a recent trip - highly recommended!

That’s a terrific price! Well done.

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
wait, no one is drinking proper12?

I have never had it, but somebody must be drinking it, given this.

Marketing and funny money. If a celeb is attached, generally speaking, you should run the other way.

Red Spot 15 years. Was lucky to have scored it.

Don’t waste your money or liver life. It’s crap that I think Bushmill’s wouldn’t put under their own label.

Yes… If I want inexpensive Irish, I head right for Power’s.

Inexpensive meaning less than $40. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s all my Dad drinks is Powers.

I did a blind tasting with my Dad and son a few months ago. Lined-up I had the Midleton Very Rare Barry Crockett, Powers, Green Spot and Red Breast 12. We guessed each offering correctly and then ranked them. I chose the Midleton, my Dad preferred the Green Spot and my son liked the Red Breast.