What Irish Whisky Are You Drinking?

I’ve recently started getting into Irish Whiskey and particularly taken a liking to the Redbreast product lineup, the various “Spots,” and Glendalough bottlings. I haven’t had the chance to make the leap to the Midleton. But curious if anyone can comment on differences between the Barry Crockett Legacy vs the Very Rare annual releases? Is there a preferred bottling between the two or discernible differences?

Limavady will be released in a few select markets shortly…it was a defunct distillery that closed in 1915 and always Darryl Mcnally’s dream to revitalize it. From the pre-release sample I tried it is one of the best on the market…being single malt and single barrel. Has a richness and a texture to it more akin to Single Malt Scotch than typical Irish whiskies.

newhere

Tried Limavady as an actual bottle vs. cask sample.

Hoping someone here tries it to see what others think.

I am as far from an Irish aficianado as the Monty Python parrot, but after checking the Whiskyfun.com review of the Waterford Gaia, I popped for a bottle. Initial hit out a Glencairn glass is kinda cloying in a way, but it very quickly turns something very generous in aroma, texture and flavor.

Thanks Robert! How much $ did that run you?

As a side note, I was making an inside joke (“blah” is also a term for a crusty roll that is kind of specific to Waterford, and that evolved into a euphemism for a person from Waterford). :slightly_smiling_face:

Binny’s has it on sale for $89.99 at present.

1 Like

Anyone try the Redbreast 27Y? I sure like the 12 and 15, but at $500 a bottle… Not sure how lucky I feel.

I’ve had the 21 at $40/2oz in a Denver bar. Really smooth but still very tasty. Not sure it’s way better than the 15 y/o Redbreast though.

In my opinion, Redbreast 21 and 27 are overaged, showing mostly oak and little of the snap and tension that I seek in Irish potstill whiskey.

I generally tend to prefer Irish Whiskey young; perhaps my all time favorite was Green Spot when it was distilled for and available only at Mitchell & Son ‘grocers’ in Dublin. No age statement, but generally accepted to have been 7 years old. If you ever come across an old Green Spot, screwcapped, buff label with green and gold script, bottled at 40%, buy it!
25EC7C3C-AAFB-408A-BC67-BAA44253E959.jpeg

And their John’s Lane, around US$65-70, is a great bargain IMO.

1 Like

This was smooth and greatly appreciated at the whiskey bar in Cannon Beach last evening.

4655BAFB-C05A-4BB3-A4BC-82D0A6F05A85.jpeg

1 Like

Anyone tried this? I see it locally now

I have tried three times since the cask sample, all different barrels…1 was a solid dose of Sherry cask and really rich…2 was a bit more spice driven with a hint of that PX…3 was really spicy, still balanced. Interesting whiskey in that as a single barrel you will see variation from barrel to barrel. Enjoyed all 3, but my favorites had a bit more PX influence.

There is a 19 year old available locally.

Taste it!

Funny you should ask-
Egan’s
Grace O’Malley
West Cork Black Cask
Long story, I liked the Egan’s 10 year the best

Saw the prices in Gearhart yesterday and was stunned. Middleton’s $230, their Barry Crockett $280, Yellow Spot $130, etc…

Mezcal will be the spirit.

Well Redbreast 15y is my fav, I really liked the Knappogue port cask which I haven’t seen here (hauled several back from the old sod).

I snap up Green Spot or Redbreast when it’s on sale, but right now I think Powers Gold Label is the best value in Irish whiskey. It’s hard to find in my area but Knappogue Castle 14 yr is amazing.

I grabbed one of the first bottles when they came out at $85. Traded for one a few weeks back, only to find that the shelf price is $300 now. Love Blue Spot, but that’s crazy talk.