What is the first wine you will give your son/daughter?

my kids are 27 and 30, always allowed to have a little wine growing up. Both are now attorneys and they each shared with us a bottle of la Tâche on passing their bar exams. They’ve had a lot of great wines over the years and each has a super palate and enjoys wine. Daughter loves red, son both red and white. Every couple months they each get a mixed case of stuff I want them to try.

Jonathan tells me that in his son’s hospital room, immediately after his birth, they opened a '76 Yquem and a magnum of Diebolt Prestige, both of which Oscar tasted at less than a day old.

At my son’s bris the mohel gave him some sort of wine stick to suck on, he grabbed it and wouldn’t let go, the mohel said it was the first time he’s seen that happen…apple, tree, etc.

The first liquid my son had after mother’s milk was '89 Coudoulet de Beaucastel…

Well, we did drink a lovely '02 Truchot Clos de La Roche for about $150 - does that count?

When our daughter reached drinking age, we opened a 1985 Chateau Haut Brion to celebrate her turning 21. That was in 2013. She had been tasting wine long before that and started developing her nose at age 12 with a 54 aroma Le Nez du Vin I had purchased at a bargain price a couple of years earlier. I had forgotten that I still had it. It is probably time to toss it out. The aromas would have faded to a useless state by now.

Most of us started with Boones Farm, Mateus, Blue Nun, and we turned out ok.

My son is 2014 vintage and my daughter 2017. I plan to take the approach of those who offered sips and small glasses with a meal once they become interested, but before legal drinking age. I want them to understand wine as a thing designed for enjoyment and compliment to a meal rather than excess. Even now I ask them to sniff and tell me what they smell.

I have a number of 2014s, mostly Bordeaux for my son. While I feel that 14 is a truly classic vintage in that region and the wines will age well, I have not loved most of the 2014 red burgundies, but instead prefer riper vintages (like my 09 anniversary year) and 15. Will still probably cherry pick some burgs over the years to put away for him. I collect few Italian wines in my own cellar but may backfill baroli as well. So far, I just have 2017 whites for my daughter. She’s 3, so if the maturity date is around 18 years, I think there are few high class wines that won’t live that long.

So, when they turn 21, if they have developed an appreciation for wine, I’ll open Haut Brion. If not, I’ll probably look to Sauternes.

I would love to get more Truchot 2002 Clos de la Roche for $150. Where?

Glad to see your palate is improving’!!! [cheers.gif]

I started with Carmel Concord. Hated it time after time. I am not sure I can ever recover from that.

The first wine we shared with our daughter, though undoubtedly not the first wine that passed her lips, was Yquem from her birth year: 1989. She loved it!

Nope - my palate is still as crappy as ever. neener As for the Truchot - you and me both. It was a one-off lucky chance to find it.

My sons birth year is 2019 so the plan is to share a Mouton with him when he’s 21. I just hope I’m disciplined enough to save one…

Same here!

That is an awesome post.

Our kids grew up being allowed to have a sip of what we were drinking.

We also bought loads of birth year wines.

My 22 year old has a good palate, in general, and leans toward younger new world wines and is getting more fond of red Burgundy. We just popped a few last week and tasted '97 Domaine Meo-Camuzet " Aux Brulees " and a '97 Daniel Rion Nuits Saint Georges Les Vignes Rondes (I have a special spot in my heart for those two wineries) and they were holding up very well! I will try to find what we drank for his 21st birthday, but the wine ship had already sailed.

My 19 year old doesn’t really like the taste of any alcohol, but he can be coaxed into tasting sweet wines. I fear I may have to drink all his birth year wine myself!

With my older kid visiting, the household rises to seven wine drinkers, so 2 bottles to taste in one night, or three with some leftovers. I love getting to open bottles.

My kids are 3 and 5. I’ve been buying wine for them (a bunch of birth year wines spanning regions and quality but mostly Burgundy and Bordeaux). My objective is to buy them each approx 1 case of wine per year. I plan to gift them their collection of 25 or so cases when they each turn 21. I am trying to curate purposefully so they will have a chance to experience wine that would be hard to source otherwise. I’m hoping this cache of wine will be enjoyed for years to come, providing us with many opportunities to taste and share stories.

I am pretty confident they will like wine - they are fond to take a finger dip to taste here and there. They are both big fans of red Burgs.

My kids are 23 and 25(1995 and 1996) I have a large number of bottles of both bordeaux and champagne from those years. They have no interest at all. My son likes cheap beer and my daughter would rather have a cocktail. I am starting to enjoy the birth year wines when they are around but they only sip. On my sons birthday last year we had 1996 Salon and Ducru. I loved them both!! He had a glass and went to the basement and got a lager. Maybe someday but I’m not sure

That’s the good thing - if they don’t like it more for everyone else!

Our daughter had a taste or two of wine with dinner for her whole life. Through the generosity of friends, she has tasted most of the great wines of the world. One of proudest daddy moments was my daughter, talking to people at a tasting (not saber rattling), discussing her preference of 89 Yquem vs the 90.

Sounds like a Morgan Twain-Peterson story.