What is the first wine you will give your son/daughter?

I hope to give them a taste of 2018 white burgundy but we’ll see how that goes

Kudos to your stepson!

While I never had a preference for RS, I envy his quick appreciation for Champagne.

415EDACD-E4E0-41B5-9572-80871A553E03.jpeg

Just outstanding stuff there Marcus.

Legal drinking age (for wine) is 16y in Germany, for spirits 18y.
My kids are used to wine from young age, they were allowed to take a sip with meals whenever they liked, but usually they preferred juice and water.
That changed around age of 11-12 - first Riesling and Spätburgunder (or Burgundy) - and now as adults they know practically everything and appreciate it (when it´s good).

This is what we had… Bought on release for this occasion
IMG_0224.JPG

Next generation [cheers.gif]

Dipping the binky in the must? [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Definitely one of the best moments of my life!

My daughter (born 2013) sometimes sticks a finger in my wine and responds with “yum”. I recently bought 2013 Monfortino as a birthyear wine and she has already told me – several times – that she is excited to open it on her 21st birthday. Who am I to argue?

I was intrigued and excited to read the responses in this thread. My goal is and has been to leave a nice collection of wines from her birth year (2010). CT says I have approximately 600 bottles so far from 2010 broken down as follows. I’ve been able to get some larger formats including Riesling auctions. We’ll let her sip whatever she wants. Seems the older she gets the less she’s wanting to sip them…does like the Donnhoff Kabinetts we’ve been drinking lately. I do look forward to opening these wines with her, and,hopefully, she’ll appreciate what she has. Will be nice to know she has a bunch of good wines from the year she was born especially if she’s still drinking them at 50 plus!

(73.6% France) (9.9% Germany) (7.9% Italy) (5.1% USA) (3.5% Spain)

• 51.7 Bordeaux - 7.1% Mosel - 7.4% Tuscany - 4.5% Cali - 2.5% Castilla y Leon
  • 8.3% Rhone - 2.8% Nahe - .5% Campania - .6% Washington - 1% Catalunya
  • 7.8% Burgundy
  • 4.1% Alsace
  • 1.8% Champagne

It has been so much fun reading through your stories! It seems like the Berserkerer way of doing things can be summed as:

• Crack D’Yquem and Champagne at the hospital to celebrate the newborn baby
  • Let baby dip his thumb in it and baptise him with Champagne at year 0
  • Let the children sip and enjoy wine from the early age of 3
  • Build a collection the size of a boutique wine store from their birthday year to let their friends know who is boss
  • Get a Cristal, high-end Barolo, first growth Bordeaux or Grand Cru Burgundy for the special day of adult life celebration

I have learnt more about living and breathing wine from these few posts than reading thousand tastings notes and vintage reviews, keep it real never change 'Serkers! [cheers.gif]

Might have to start making babies just to join in on the fun.

I think you have those two things out of order.

:joy::joy::joy:

I have also done this, though in far smaller quantity, and a bit later. They have each received, or will receive, 5 cases on their 25th birthday. These are a mix of a couple of birth year wines, and then other bottles spread over that time frame so they get a little “starter cellar” with some newly released bottles, some 5 years old, some 10 years old, etc.

The first two have theirs, and loved the gift. The next one doesn’t like wine, so I suspect we’ll keep hers and drink them “with” her here over time, and the last one is TBD whether she likes it.

As he does with so many things in life, I think Homer Simpson eloquently sums up the beauty of giving a gift like this to someone who may, or may not, like wine when the time comes:

[winner.gif]

Agree. If they don’t like it, I know someone who will…