What is your Barolo of the year ?

All at one dinner! #metoo!

Though I had the 89 Giacosa Villero ahead of the Rinaldi. But you know what a Giacosa ho I am.

For Barolo, it’s a toss up between 2004 and 2005 Giacomo Conterno Monfortino Riserva. For Barbaresco, it is the 1996 Giacosa Asili Riserva, followed by 1995 and 1997 Giacosa Santo Stefano.

This strangely as well, but not from magnum. Was expecting a good wine given the year, not a great wine, but a great wine it was.

That was during a verticale (2013 - 2004), in magnums :
Bartolo Mascarello Barolo 2011 (magnum) : 18,5/20
Ce millésime offre comme il se doit un vin d’emblée éblouissant, complexe : fraise, épices, orangette, fleurs, verveine menthe, touche de Havane. Bouche en confirmation, sensuelle, moelleuse et fraîche à la fois, complète, affable. Magnifiques soutiens de l’acide et de l’amer.

Old: '64, '67 Oddero Barolo
Young: '96 Monprivato

Tough call as I’ve had many, but one that stands out is:

1998 di BRUNO GIACOSA FALLETTO di SERRALUNGA ALBA LANGHE BAROLO- this was poetry in a bottle and fortunately, my 2nd exposure having had it a couple of years ago probably from the same source; it had been decanted a couple of hours prior to serving and could have stood more, the nose offered exceptionally pleasing ripe red fruit which in the taste profile turned out to be spicy and sweet dried red cherry and raspberry; the mouthfeel was simply amazing with super soft tannins until just past mid palate when yet to evolve stiff tannins took over and strongly supported the contention this wine has the acidity and structure to go for a very long run; its extra special now with lots of promise for even greater things in the future.

I have to include another that merits mentioning:

2013 GAJA SPERSS LANGHE BAROLO- serious stuff here; it shined in every aspect, first with the vibrant youthful dark purple color and then onto the so inviting aromatics of fresh, rich and ripe dark fruit; on the palate, that translated into black raspberry, blackberry and black cherry with accents of licorice, spice and wet earth; this is an example of power and finesse even at this early stage; its structured for the long run and although really good now, this is a keeper for a few decades.

Bartolo Mascarello Barolo 2013. I really enjoyed it, but it started to close down tight after an hour of air which surprised me.

2 Likes

In the verticale mentionned above, I had a tough, not ready to drink 2013 :
Bartolo Mascrello Barolo 2013 : 17/20+
Vin distingué, avec tous les attributs aromatiques et structurels d’un grand Barolo de tradition.
Notes de framboise, de terre, de camphre, de crayon noir, d’orange sanguine, de cèdre même. Substrat dense, tannique, particulièrement robuste à ce stade. Allure très renfrognée (elle rechignera à se dévoiler totalement), probablement de très longue garde.

1 Like

I had a similar experience as Laurent with the Macarello Barolo '13. I had it from Coravin and not a huge pour, so I didn’t have many sips to burn before the wine had a chance to open. But it did seem closed down and so perhaps air would not help, only time.

2000 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra for me only because for some reason, I keep holding my Barolo and not drinking them.

1999 Bruno Giacosa Falletto
Though it needed 2 hours in the glass to reach that point.

Do you sell this, Jeremy?

For me, Principiano Barolo Boscareto 2004.

1 Like

2003 Conterno Francia - Amazing bottle. Found a few more online the next day.

I have a bottle of this that I’ve been itching to open. Please talk some more about it

Hi James,

We got a tiny allocation earlier in the year. No more left I’m afraid.

Cheers
Jeremy

Have this standing up in my wine fridge!

WOTY for me has been 2014 Beppe Brunate. I cannot explain it, but the wine hits my neurons in a way that can’t be captured in a tasting note… e.g., the nose, palate etc. are all really good - and then my brain pauses for half a second to take it all in. I tried an 2011 Tre Tine without the same fan fare. I need to find a ‘good year’ Brunate at a reasonable price…

What decanting regimen did you use? I have a couple bottles and am thinking about opening one.

1 Like

Pop and pour imho. Maybe give it 15-30 minutes to breathe.

At an offline earlier this year both the Rupestris and Barolo '11s were slow o’d for 12 hours, and folks felt this was too much air. I’d go with Greg’s recommendation.

1 Like