What is your Barolo of the year ?

2004 Fratelli Brovia Barolo Ca’mia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (10/4/2019)
Phenomenal nose of tar, red cherries, violets, leather, and just a hint of underwood. I could smell the wine across the rooms while in the decanter… Great balance on the palate with medium+ acidity, quite well integrated tannins and flavors of red berries, tar, new leather, and smoke. Very long, lingering finish. Outstanding Barolo, probably drinking close to peak. What a wine! (96 pts.)

My wife and I absolutely loved it!

Thanks [cheers.gif]

The 2010 of this exact wine was my fave. But I think I had a grand total of 4 Baroli this year (though I bout about a case to stash away!).

2001 Altare Brunate. Label it as modernist or however you like, but I know a great wine when it’s right of front of me and all the boxes were checked on this one, with years to go.

THis post just made me realize that I drink a lot of Nebbiolo but almost no Barolo. Interesting.

Anyways my favorite Nebbiolo this year was a 1970 Gaja Infernot.

I just pop and poured.

I did not drink nearly enough Barolo this year. The best was a beautiful, silky, perfumed bottle of 2008 Bartolo Mascarello.

This board drinks it’s barolo far younger than we did just five years ago. Interesting.

Indeed, Prunotto, Monte Stefano!

BAROLO-1978.jpg

Hit me up the next time you’re in Chicago, I think I can treble that in one night!

yes!

Re: What is your Barolo of the year ?
Report this post Quote
#15 Unread post by Greg K » October 17th 2019, 3:42am

Yeah, the 11 Rupestris has never shut down. A spectacular wine.

Spurred on by these reports I lobbied to have this included in a flight in our Christmas lunch line up next to one of my 2001s, made by the late Teobaldo.

The 2011, made his son Augusto, was indeed open for business and inviting to drink. What concerned us was the alcohol, which was 15% according to the label, and there was a fair bit of heat on the backend.

This contrasted with the 13.5% in the 2001, which clearly has the structure to improve and last for 30-40 more years. There is more of a question mark over how the 2011 will evolve, but otherwise a lovely wine, which the table enjoyed.

I’m gonna go with
1996 Sandrone ‘Cannubi Boschis’
1999 Scavino ‘Rocche dell’Annunziata’ riserva
1999 Massolino ‘Vigna Rionda’ riserva

Odd year, I think no Monfortino or Giacosa with any decent age on it. Gonna have to rectify that in 2020

I had this a year ago at a lunch with Gaia Gaja. An amazing wine just slightly bested by the 1970 Gaja Barbaresco Sorì Tildìn:
http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2018-10-19_FWG_Gaia_AiFiori/

2011 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo

I don’t think this will last 30-40 years, but then it’s a 2011 - I’d be pretty surprised if any barolo of this vintage will. I had another bottle last week and I agree, it’s not a delicate wine, but it has great balance imho.

2013 Monfortino

1990 Corino vigneto rocche was terrific a few nights ago.

I don’t get to drink much Barolo, but this one from our local group’s year-end dinner was a standout.

1989 B Giacosa Falletto di Serralunga d’Alba Barolo Riserva

Last year, 2014 Monfortino, with '89 G. Rinaldi Brunate Riserva neck in neck.

This year, 2010 G. Rinaldi Brunate, with 2015 B. Mascarello nipping at its heels…