What is your Barolo of the year ?

It’s been a fine year barolo-wise. First two bottles were enjoyed at our terrasse during a long lunch I hosted to a few friends in our new summerhouse just outside Serralunga, overlooking Rionda and more. The view didn’t do anything bad to the wines.
A MG of the Giacosa Asili Riserva 2000 was outclassed by the two other wines from Bruno.

Giacosa Falletto Riserva 2000 (MG)
Giacosa Rocche del Falletto 1999 (MG)

Brought this to a friends place and it sang from top to toe:
Capellano Rupestris 2011 (MG)

2009 Giuseppe Rinaldi Brunate
2014 Giuseppe Rinaldi Brunate
2013 Roagna Pira VV

1 Like

1995 Monfortino!

I prefer Barolo to be 20 years or older before I drink them.

Glad you liked it, Ramon. [highfive.gif]

This might be my favorite modernist Barolo of all time. I brought a bottle to the first offline I ever went to.

My Barolo of 2019 was a 1971 Brero Barolo Riserva Monvigliero. It was decanted for about 10 hours and showed beautifully for the 3 hours over our dinner.

Didn’t drink enough Barolo either, but a couple stood out.

2011 Vietti Ravera - Complex, big savory white spice, very fresh and energetic.
2014 Giuseppe Rinaldi - Kind of drinks like a Barolo/Burgundy hybrid.

Opened up a 2004 Roberto Voerzio Cerequio for lunch today and it was absolutely, positively spectacular and kept improving as the meal progressed and to the point where it has now surpassed everything I have tasted this year Barolo-wise.

Last vintages are more approachable:
G. Rinaldi
Bartolo Mascarello
And others.
No sure about G. Conterno Monfortino.

Didn’t drink a lot of Barolo this year, but Brovia 2006 was a nice surprise as it changed from hard and tannic just a few years ago to a very nice and approachable Barolo, even though it still has a lot of structure. Both Ca` mia as well as Rocche were lovely.

Ditto. Drinking young barolos is such a different experience. Might as well drink young gattinara to get about the same impact, and it is way cheaper. I only really get the full tar and roses thing with 20 years and there is no wine in the world that can replicate that like a good barolo. Have a stash of 1996/97s that are just beautiful now. Cracked a 2000 B Giacosa red label riserva this past year and it was still mute. Patience is definitely rewarded with these wines. I can enjoy a younger bordeaux much more.

I’ve heard this too, where on the eve of the wines 20th birthday it starts its metamorphosis in to something glorious and complex.

Doesn’t matter what producer, what part of Barolo, the age of the vines, and most importantly, it doesn’t matter what era. The hoards of respected tasters and critics who insist that young Barolo can be appreciated simply cannot be trusted.

I’ll remember all this next time Roberto pours me Monfortino. Thanks!

Isn’t the question of the thread… “your” Barolo of the year…? [scratch.gif]

Not all of us have access to 20YR Conterno, Beppe, etc. And frankly, I really enjoy young nebbiolo. I can get the tar, roses, sappy fruit, grip - and it pairs fantastically with prosciutto (to me!). That would be my pairing of the year… and a discovery of the year is I over score young nebbiolo when having it with prosciutto…

I have developed a love for young, 21st century Nebbiolo. I suspect it is mostly a function of changes in winemaking and climate. The 20 year ‘rule’ no longer applies to me (exceptions obviously apply).

My favorite Barolo of 2019 is most likely 2004 Bartolo Mascarello. I like it so much I drank six bottles this year.

1 Like

I’m afraid 2014 Monfortino is not out yet, only next year.

I tasted it in Sept 2018 at the cantina with Roberto. It was glorious even from botti.

1 Like

Mark
Nice to hear about the 04 Bartolo. I have 4 left and was thinking about having one this year. It falls under special occasion for us. How did you serve it, to have it show best.

Drift: have you had the 99 recently?

I was searching for a thread on the 2006 Brovia Rocche. Great thread and timely to ask what was your Barolo of the year ?

For me it was the 2006 Brovia Rocche. It’s in a fantastic spot. Give it 2 hours of air and a quick decant and it’s singing. A real beauty just entering its prime drinking window.

2 Likes