What Mike Smith wine are you drinking tonight?

Have a 2010 Quivet Kenefick cab on deck for this evening.

Damn this is delicious. Night 3 at that!
image.jpg

Syrah goodness!
image.jpg

Not drinking right now but last week had a bottle of 2012 Dr. Crane Elysian.

Wow.

• 2013 Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Three Twins Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/25/2016)
    I kind of screwed up on this bottle – again proving why I generally don’t try to predict my evenings on weeknights. Popped this guy in the morning before I headed to the office with the anticipation of enjoying it while watching my Sooners in the Elite Eight. Of course, plans changed, so the bottle stood open for about 12 hours before I could get a cork back in it.

Fast forward another 20 hours, and cork removed. Drank about an hour later. Even after all that air, this is pretty tightly coiled. Dark blue fruit. Gravel. Medium + weight, Medium ++ finish. Think these are going to require some patience - especially when compared to the GIII, which I think is drinking really well. But upside is there once this comes together. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2012 Carter Cellars Hossfeld Coliseum - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/26/2016)
    6 hour slow ox. Drank over 3 hours. Enjoyed on the patio while watching my Sooners earn a berth in the Final Four. Very consistent with prior notes - could drink this wine all day. Red profile, but some purple too. Dark purple in glass. Lavender. Smooth tannins. Medium + weight and finish. Finish was just a tick astringent.

Also had a 2012 cab from Coliseum Block open – and it was better, both before and after. Just a darker fruit profile, more depth and a much better finish. The blend was lovely during the game, but the straight cab was the ticket with dinner. (93 pts.)

This is the real deal. Great note by CSIMM re: this often getting overlooked given the To Kalon lineup by Carter. This wine deserves full attention. Dark purple and black fruits. Dark purple in glass. Full bodied weight, but not too heavy. Good mineral tones and some granite. A fantastic big finish. Well integrated tannins already. Went great with wagyu steaks. Disappeared quickly. Can see probably a point higher with some further integration – so maybe not the unlimited upside of the To Kalons. But damn fine juice. (95 pts.)

• 2014 Ancillary Cellars Pinot Noir Sun Chase Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/26/2016)
    Similar to prior experiences. Pop and pour. This stuff just goes down too easy - very well made and enjoyable. And would still agree that the 2014s are a tick better than 2013. There is a certain freshness and vibrancy in the 2014s that is lovely. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

image.jpg
Darker cherry and more spice than the Rochioli RRV that preceded it. Really tasty.

Might try my first tonight. Either one of the two '15 Myriad Semillons.

'12 Myriad Crane on the decant now for an early-evening fete.

2013 Myriad Three Twins:

PnP with very tight and clipped at first, but bursting at the seams with a medley of dark, ripe fruit flavors. A total of 3 hours in the decanter and this thing was ready to go all the way around. Notes of black currant, ripe and rich black and red raspberry, purple plum, dark blueberry, black licorice, asphalt, creosote, anise, wet slate, and some welcomed dust on the finish. A hint of chocolate, but I mostly experienced it as an asphalt/tar note on the back end. However, the fruit was so pronounced, the mineral/slate note was a bit fleeting. A really fascinating wine at this stage with a lot going on. Even a slight touch of vanillin oak deep on the back end.

The 2013 Three Twins really ratchets up the flavor intensity the likes of which I have never seen from the Twins offering from Myriad. That damn bottle was empty before I knew it! My other half called it blueberry liqueur coated in sweet dust. It reminded me of a wine I wanted to have with Porcini-Dusted Beignets from Rich Table in SF (sorry, random reference). Nevertheless, this was 100% my kind of wine!

If drinking now, decant for 2-3 hours; otherwise, hold until after 2017. 95+ points all day long. I’ll try to be patient, but this is going to disappear fast just like my other Myriads. I liked this even better than the standard Myriad Cabernet I just had recently. Highly recommended if you can get it!

1 Like

2012 Carter Coliseum Block Cabernet:

PnP with notes of smooth black raspberry, red/black currant, wild berry (almost a brambly, mountain fruit quality), red licorice, and a nice dusty/chalky component that added good cut on the back end.

Into the decanter it went for approximately two+ hours. Unbelievably smooth, with a quality of fruit that matches many of the other high end 2012 Napa Cabernets. Acidity and tannins were 100% in check, with this wine (though a youngster) displaying a total accessibility; drinking absolutely phenomenal almost right out of the gate. I could not stop drinking this wine. Wonderful red and black berry contrasts, finishing with some dark chocolate and graphite on the final sips. It comes across like a classical Napa Cabernet meets a new world cult Cabernet: big, thick, and juicy, but with a red currant/berry streak that cuts like a 90’s Stags’ Leap.

I usually considered the Coliseum as somewhat of a secondary wine to the BTK offerings. But in this case, it was close to epic. 96++ points right now, with possibly a point or two of upside in the next year or so.

2013 Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Georges III Vineyard Tonight, awesome wine and drinking great at this stage after a 4 hr decant

2010 Myriad Napa cab:
image.jpeg

Myriad Esther Block Syrah 2013. Structured, solid fruit but not syrupy. Medium finish. I like the olive notes from Syrah and I did not get any of that. I prefer the Quivet Hulda Block from the same vintage.

This was excellent:
IMG_2643 2.JPG

Tonight we’ll be popping a 2013 Ancillary Sangiacomo pinot noir.

Glad to hear it. I have one I’m thinking of opening soon.

Decanted for 60-90 minutes and drank over a 2 hour period. Big black fruit, pepper and a touch of spice. Excellent in the mid-palate which hits all the right notes. Long tasty finish. Surprisingly smooth on the tannins for such a young wine.
image.jpeg

This has been IMO Mikes best Syrah I have tasted to date. Fantastic effort.

Who is Mike Smith?