What Mike Smith wine are you drinking tonight?

Leah Smith’s husband!!! :slight_smile:

Last night, had 2012 Carter the Granddady To Kalon and a 2009 Myriad Dr. Crane.

Color me jealous!!

Mr and Mrs Smiths son.

Is he the winemaker for Rivers Marie? I get confused.

Who is John Galt?

This post is quickly goin down hill… Ha!

No - that would be Thomas Rivers Brown.

Quivet sauvignon blanc last night with gruyere and emmentaler (with Quivet sauvignon blanc in the cheese sauce) mac and cheese, with a salad of mixed greens with bleu cheese dressing with Quivet sauvignon blanc as an ingredient in the dressing.

It was a triple Quivet experience.

Mike Smith - Myriad, Quivet, Ancillary, 12c, Scarlett, Becklyn, Carter, Envy

Thomas Rivers Brown - Rivers-Marie, Schrader, Maybach, Saunter, Mending Wall, Outpost, The Grade, Round Pond, Kinsella, Aston, Hestan, ALOFT, Tamber Bay, Revana, Jones Family… And probably 35 other wineries I don’t even know about…

Nice Brian! Thanks!!

… I don’t think my wallet can handle all those…!

I didn’t think Mike was making any of the Envy wines…am I wrong on that?

My understanding is that he has just started to make Envy wines… I could be wrong, but the folks at Envy mentioned he is now involved.

Mike took over that when Robin moved on to Swanson.

…Impatiently waiting for Carter’s 2014 releases. This is usually the month that the box sets are offered!! :angry:

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up, Brian. Time to update their website, which still lists Nils Venge as winemaker.

2012 Carter Three Kings… I love a Wednesday night!

PnP with notes of black and red currant, black licorice, granite, asphalt, purple berry, blackberry, and clove. I let this sit in the decanter for an hour or so, which allowed the depth to unleash even more than its initial showing. Unbelievable texture and silky mouthfeel.

After a little over two hours, this wine completely fanned out and showed exactly why it belongs in the upper echelon of Napa Cabernets. Those “first growth” notes of blueberry liqueur, dark chocolate coated cherries, black pen ink, and melted road tar finally emerged. A complete and elevating wine tasting experience; pretty good for a Wednesday night!!

A 97+ point wine right now, with maybe another point in 8-12 months. Ready to drink now with a few hours of air, but even better in 2017. The only thing that kept this from being in the 99-100 point range was that the finish was “only” 30 or so seconds and came off medium-to-full bodied; acidity came off fairly low. This is splitting hairs at this level, but worth noting considering its only competition would be wines in the 98-100 point category.

I’ll hold my remaining bottles for 8+ months, but not too much longer. A memorable and special wine for sure!

Good times!
image.jpg