What Mike Smith wine are you drinking tonight?

2016 Myriad Napa cabernet…

1 Like

How was this drinking?

Had a 15 Quivet NV that was strong for the price and a 16 Carter OG that was awesome in the last week or so. Glad I have a bunch of the OGs left. May be my favorite Carter to date. That or the 15 Verdad.

Opened an '18 Collide last night. It has plenty of stuffing but hard to tell much at this stage.

Had to stock up on the 2019 Carter “Carter” as it’s the closest I’m going to come to drinking “my” wine. Had a great experience with a 2016 Hossfeld Coliseum.

Seems people are really enjoying drinking the wines 5-6 years out. Is that the consensus or do these continue to age gracefully for longer? Since I have a 6 pack I can afford to experiment a little bit.

Thanks!

This was on Last Bottle yesterday for $39. Only 1 “eh” review on CT so I passed - so curious long term how this one comes around in case it finds its way back to Last Bottle which happens often.

I thought it was certainly worth $39. Like I said, mostly primary right now–but nice typical Napa cab flavor. It opened up nicely on day two with some interesting menthol and eucalyptus notes. Usually if a wine gets better after being open for 24 hours, that is a good sign. Not overly oaked and medium-long finish. Only complaint was that it was a bit hot.

2013 Quivet Cellars ‘Kenefick Ranch’ Cabernet Sauvignon
436755B0-0B78-4F0E-98D1-D0E95C455CBA.jpeg
Didn’t give this much air, but I did decant it briefly before serving. As is often the case with Mike’s Kenefick cabs, this is full of ripe blue and purple fruits. Coffee and some black pepper are present on both the nose and on the palate, along with a hint of licorice. The tannins are still noticeable but aren’t obtrusive. This is delicious, and we all loved it. No hurry on these. 93 pts for me.

2013 Patiné ‘Gap’s Crown’ Pinot
E4DCDC2F-89D3-48D0-828A-CE27FD6F1FB7.jpeg
Didn’t take any notes, but we all really enjoyed this tonight with cassoulet. My dad and I reminisced about trying a barrel sample of a 2011 Patiné with Mike when I took him to Napa in 2013. Good memories.

2013 Quivet Ranch Kenefick Cabernet Sauvignon

Decanted for 2 hours before Christmas dinner. Quite blue fruited earlier, moving toward purple fruit three hours in. Tannins mostly resolved. Lots of fruit still but not syrupy. Plush. Very tasty even if not tremendously complex. My wife really liked it with stuffed leg of lamb, farro with mushrooms, and roasted carrots.

2014 Myriad ‘Three Twins Vineyard’ Cabernet Sauvignon
138CB60C-8DD7-4363-911E-74BDB673AC67.jpeg
So good. I’ve said it before, but Three Twins might be my favorite single vineyard cab Mike makes.

opened the '19 becklyn moulds reserve yesterday. 5 hr decant. was as good as expected-lot of plum and some chocolate, tannins were linear for a young wine.
drink now with a healthy decant.

Opened a 2013 Quivet ‘Napa’ cab last night. It was good, especially when it had a chance to get more air, but the Kenefick cab we had two weeks ago was a major step up.

2013 Becklyn ‘Napa’ Cab
A9D9F26C-8A57-4CC6-83E0-C62178757C08.jpeg
After an initial awkward bottle of this a few years ago, this wine is really shining lately. Tonight’s bottle is at least as good as the one we consumed two months ago, which I gave 94 points. I’m tempted to go a point higher on this review, as it is just pure pleasure and I wish I had bought much more. I’ve starting sampling through a bunch of 2013‘s lately and this might be the best of the sub-$100 Mike Smith wines I’ve tried from the vintage. So good.

1 Like

A 2015 Becklyn and the best of the vintage at this price point. In a prime drinking spot. Just a beautiful wine in every aspect. The nose on this wine leaps out of the glass. Love the blue fruit, it’s definitely on the ripe side of the spectrum (plush) but not over the top. Excellent mid palate feel and taste, long finish with fine tannins. So tasty.
2410D60C-D399-4796-9192-CBEC3D5D68E2.jpeg

1 Like

2015 Cabenet Dr Crane Elysian - excellent. great out of the bottle, then maybe closed a little, but opened up to be great again after a couple hours in the decanter

1 Like

2013 Carter Cellars BTK The OG - wow what a wine!

1 Like

One of Mike’s 1st hundred pointers.

Anyone have any insight on the 2020 Myriad and Quivet syrahs? Any issues with smoke taint? The Quivet offer comes out tomorrow 2/8 and I am usually a buyer of both.

Only Quivet Las Madres as the yields were to low to do a Myriad. So don’t pass thinking you’ll get it later from Myriad.

1 Like