What Patricia Green Cellars are you drinking?

Cracked this open before dinner tonight. Initial impressions

1 Like

Great note! Ordered two cases + two large formats from the library release including two of these. Thanks Rodrigo.

2015 Durant Madrone block

Splash decanted. Sweet red fruit, dense raspberry, cherry. Warm baking spices, with a slightly earthy finish. Young, but enjoyable and fun to drink now.

May not be the most sophisticated of the bottlings but it does not lack for enjoyment and flavor! Just the way that block is. Delivers what it does in spades.

1 Like

A recent 2005 Notorious was mind blowing. It is such a great wine for any terroir.

1 Like

that color is great! I think my 06 was similar still as well. im definitely gonna use this thread as a reminder that I need to ask if any more library stuff can make it into my next club shipment

1 Like

Great note, we had this last week. It needed some time to open and seemed like it was just entering a nice drinking window.

1 Like

Had the 2010 Etzel Block last night…my wine of the year so far!

1 Like

All the 15s are in great spot right now, especially the old vine.

It was a nice sunny day here in NC so perfect for some rose. Spotted this bottle of 2020 Helen Dusschee Tempranillo rose that we picked up during a visit to Jim and Margaret about a month ago. This pours out fairly light orange/gold in color. The nose shows lime pith and a hint of ripe strawberry. On the tongue there’s a good hit of mouth watering acidity, lemon/lime sherbet, more strawberry and just a hint of something spicy like white pepper. Extremely enjoyable.

Jim and Margaret, thanks again for the great tasting, and especially those library wines you so generously shared with us.

1 Like

The 2012 version of the Balcombe Block 1B in the Instagram post above. Figured it was time to crack one. 13.5% alcohol, deep magenta color, one color ring. Great clarity. Nose is cinnamon and black cherry. Smooth finish with a little sludge. Drink or hold.

We had this with a 2012 Brick House Les Dijonnais which was also very nice; good comparison; I will post those notes separately.

2010 Balcombe from the library release. This was so good! Thanks to Jim for making these available.

Light red color that was just a bit tawny and had a slight amount of haze. Beautiful with numerous layers on the palate. The primary flavor was sour cherry with balanced acid and silky tannins. Every so often a burst of ripe strawberry or a layer of eucalyptus would appear. Long finish. Still refreshing at 11 years old. What a joy to drink!

Well, my wines just arrived today…so soon, very soon I plan to check in on them. So excited!

I’m laughing seeing pictures of the PGC wines with the older label. I think the only one I have left with the older label is a 2013 Berserker Cuvee.
I drink my Patty Green wines so much younger. I am not suggesting these wines are not made for aging - just that I open them soon after purchase/arrival. I enjoy trying the many different wines that Jim & crew make. Loved the new first page of their website: “Patricia Green Cellars enthusiastically and unapologetically produces more individual bottlings of Pinot Noir than any winery in America.”

So I end up opening them and trying them - not side by side as I don’t have that kind of money, time or liver - but usually within a few days of each other - to try and discern the differences in clones, vineyards, blocks, etc. Still learning. Could not readily tell you the difference between a Wadensville clone from a Pommard Clone in a Pinot from the Freedom Hill vineyard, but at least I am enjoying the ride.

Sorry to hear that! PGC wines take on a whole new level of excellence with age (10+ years). My 2016s are literally buried under other cases until at least 2026.
Hopefully, you were able to order some of the library release wines. Having recently had a 2002 and 2004, I am planning on opening the next ones on their 20th anniversaries.

I too like to age my PGC at least 10 years. Really excited to try some at 20 years thanks to the library release.

Thanks.
I do have a couple of 3L bottles of the 2016.
It will likely be at least 10+ years old when i find the right occasion to open one.

I will try to bury a few other PGC wines.

That is awesome. The should be fantastic in 2046! :slight_smile:

2008 Patricia Green Estate Reserve

A whole bunch of strawberry preserve, black cherry and bramble fruit with secondary notes of dried herbs and underbrush. Both the nose and the palate. Very satisfying while not revealing its age by color or flavor. Nice persistence even if it doesn’t speak to my inner acidophile. Nicely balanced tannins for the vintage. I don’t see how this’ll improve with more time. Catch it soon IMHO. Hedonistic by OR standards while avoiding over ripeness, new wood, and heat.

RT

1 Like

I’m enjoying the 2018 Muscat Ottonel. Exactly as advertised on Berserker Day. Wonderful summer sipper. Probably one of the only dry domestic Muscats I’ve ever had. It will be added to the summer rotation.