What producer do you have the most bottles of that you haven't tried yet?

I have 8 bottles of Gunther Steinmetz on the way. And 6 bottles of 16-18 year old Angelus sitting around. Might be time to try one.

Hmm, maybe Bastian Wolber but only because they arrived this week!

Until recently, it was Goodfellow at 18 bottles.
Until recently, it was BAMA at 8 bottles.

Now, itā€™s Di Barro, Montevertine, and Balthazar at 3 bottles.

Soldera, with about 20 bottles.

Domaine Arlaud, 6 bottles.

Nice. Hope you fully enjoy them.

Back in the day I bought a bunch of Quilceda Creek purely on the hype. Then I tried them and immediately sold the rest.

I swore I would never hold like that again.

1 Like

Over the years there have been a number of wines where I didnā€™t like the first bottle(s) only to open one later and love it. I think that one of the most difficult aspects of this hobby is knowing when one has enough data points to say they donā€™t like a specific producer or maybe more accurate that they donā€™t like enough to continue to purchase.

I buy less single bottles now but still will for higher priced bottles. Generally, I buy 2-3 bottles so I can open them at different ages to confirm or refute a prior impression. But even that isnā€™t always enough. I recall a case of 1997 Etude Pinot Noir where I drank the first 8 bottles without much enjoyment only to find that I loved bottles 9-12.

1 Like

On multiple occasions I have purchased a full case of a producer Iā€™ve never tried before and sometimes more before I open the first bottle. Berserker day is the source for many of these purchases but not all. Currently, I donā€™t have anything more than 4-6 bottles from a producer, I havenā€™t tried but do have multiple producers in that range.

Halcon, two cases.

1 Like

Not much, I usually pop one upon receiving. I think my high currently is 3 (Seaver and Roy Piper - both of which I just got on the list this past year).

1 Like

I was guessing that for a lot of folks the answer would be de negoceā€¦

1 Like

I mostly canā€™t understand stockpiling a producer without trying them. Even if the bottle is kinda spendy like $200. Are you really going to spend $2400 on a case and then proceed to buy more without even trying one. In my view the cost to popping a bottle (even if young) is worth it if it saves you spending thousands on bottles you wont like down the road. The opportunity cost is just too high. And on top of that you should be able to try the ā€˜lesserā€™ wine of the producer to get a feel for the style. If I have a village burgundy from a producer and like it, that gives me more confidence in their 1er and GC.

Looked at my CellarTracker and the producer that fit into this topic is Lafarge, sadly. And not for lack of trying. One popped was corked and the other was oxidized (auction bottle with a somewhat low fill and a cork that has clearly seeped a little once foil was removed). I ahve 7 bottles i nthe cellar and plan to pop one, hopefully soon!

After that itā€™s Hudelot-Noellat at 3 bottles. Also going to be rectifying that!

Realm

Except for a couple of new, first try arrivals the answer is null.

Yount Ridge, at 5. Picked most of them up on auction for $35 because I tend to like Celia Welshā€™s wines. Will open the first sometime in the next week.

I generally donā€™t buy more than 3-4 bottles of something without trying it.

This will be the 2017 EABA, so thinking Thursday morning?

Galardi Terra di Lavoro. I have a bunch of these bottles going back 7-8 years. Every damn note I read about this wine says ā€œkeep waiting, needs more timeā€. I am running out of patience, will have to crack open a bottle just to see. Why do I buy some of these Italians that take forever to mature?

I have 15 various bottles of Max Ferd. Richter, all 2015 vintage that I bought reading one of Robertā€™s emails from Down to Earth. Never had the producer but Iā€™m sure they will be enjoyable. Other than that I just bought 6 bottles Boris Champy (2x each of 377, 382 & 421) on the basis of a recommendation of a friend with impeccable taste in Burgundy.

This is my answer, except that I only have one mixed case of the 2019s.