What red Burgundy under $150 ...

Listen to Keith,

He knows whereof he speaks!

Let me simplify:

Jadot Beaune 1er Cru ‘Clos des Ursules’ from a good vintage at about 10 years.

Keith’s list is great, but to start at the top, IMO Courcel Epenots requires an absolute minimum of 10 years and that is rarely enough. The single wine I recommend should be wonderful from 5 years on, but for your budget you should be able to find one at 10 years or more. Please buy a vintage with a good reputation; IMO for this wine the age will be less important than vintage quality.

Dan Kravitz

I’m about a decade behind you but think we are very close geographically, in wine experience, and budget wise. I have tried enough to know I’m hooked but buy as much in the Côte Chalonnaise as the Côte de Nuits these days. Two that I’ve had this year that were affordable were 1996 Domaine Tollot-Beaut and 1996 Jean Raphet. This might be a good bet?

Want to meet at Malabar Farm sometime and open some old burgs? I don’t know if Grandpa’s Cheesebarn has a corkage fee? I looked on Winebid but didn’t see much:

Courcel is dynamite on release. Ten years on it will be completely shut down. If you’re aging them they need at least 20-25. But that’s no reason to miss the chance to catch them young.

2001 Domaine Pavelot (Jean-Marc et Hugues) Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru La Dominode for only $70:
https://chapfour.com/burgundy/domaine-pavelot-savigny-les-beaune-les-dominode-2001

Barthod is not for newbies.

Except for New Years. Always a good time, but pretty reliably NOT the best show of the run. champagne.gif

This wine is pasts its prime unfortunately… I would recommend 2009 or 2010 from Pavelot.

Briailles Ile

Look, you don’t need to go crazy with this, or spend that much money. Just drank a 2012 Drouhin Chambolle Musigny that has a lovely crushed strawberry fruit, attractive eathiness, not tremendous depth or complexity but just a lovely bottle of village Bourgogne. This is pretty much a maturing village and won’t get tons better. 2012 is still relatively overlooked in the market as it does not have the cachet of 09, 10, 15. If you dig this then start exploring the different village wines. You can easily get three bottles for $150 from good producers and then work your way up. Or not. Burgundy is not for everyone.

Really it’s the tertiary development and nose that makes it for worth it for me. Notes on Cellartracker suggest the 2001 is in top form right now.

To me, Rossignol Trapet is a bargain, and there are plenty of choices within or close to your price range. Still cannot understand why not much more expensive, an excellent Grand Cru biodynamically farmed.

The two in your price range are Latriciere Chambertin and Chapelle Chambertin. They are both available in multiple vintages at Wine Cellarage.

Otherwise, some great Cote de Beaune like Savigny.

Thanks for some of the specific recs and conversation here. I really am looking for some mature bottles to see if that’s in my wheelhouse. I drink what I have to learn and enjoy along the way of course, but the time to find out is now if the effort will eventually pay off for me.

Off to do some shopping (at least window).

Not to drift too far, but I was gifted a “2011 Domaine Harmand-Geoffroy Les Champeaux, GEVREY-CHAMBERTIN PREMIER CRU” (forgive the caps, easier to copy/paste from CT/WS). It appears to be roughly $125 so in the ballpark here…

While I’ve gotten into - and greatly enjoy - white burgundy, this is literally the only red burg I own. Curious if this can be opened soon to see if this is another rabbit hole to go down?

It should be ready to drink but hopefully not too much of the 11 green.

For the love of Pete, will you people please stop giving out secrets & tips like this that are hard earned from experience? If news of 2012 being a ‘sleeper’ vintage gets around, it won’t be overlooked any more. [head-bang.gif]

Now that the cat’s out of the bag, I’ll add that I see '12 as a potential future rival to '93. The better wines of the Corton & Chambolle-Musigny AOCs are eventually going to be ab-fab if you have the patience to wait out the tight structure.

Willam Kelley has been saying this for awhile

Care to expand?

What couldn’t I understand [scratch.gif]

They are built / structured for the long haul, and the few I’ve tried have had little baby fat on release to make them even briefly approachable. I started buying these late, with maybe 2 cases 2005-2015, completely on faith, and there’s not a single bottle I’d expect to be enjoyable for 10 more years.

Besides, average price on the 1er crus has mostly gone over your $150 limit, $200-250 for Cras and Fuees. I may be wrong but I think with patience you may be able to pick up 20+ year old bottles at Winebid from time to time at a reasonable premium over current release pricing, sort of like Chevillon.

Envoyer has been selling a 2008 Echezeaux from Charles Noellat for $90. Greg’s email said:

“We know, we have sent out a lot of Charles Noellat lately, but these are some of the top values in Burgundy right now and impossible to pass up. To be able to get a bottle of Grand Cru Burgundy, for not even a 100 dollars, but 90, is unheard of. Considering the track record of back-vintage bottles we have had from this producer, this is an easy buy. Like we have said before, Charles Noellat Makes very traditional wines with a rusticity that is adept for extended aging, village wines from the 80s have even impressed us. We sold another Grand Cru from Charles Noellat before, the 2001 Clos de Vougeot, which we have gotten a few requests for more after selling out. Once again, all ex-Domaine bottles in fantastic condition; if you are going to spring for a bottle of Charles Noellat, this gets our top recommendation.”

I have never had any wines from Charles Noellat. Does anyone have any experience with producer and should this wine be recommended to the OP?