What red Burgundy under $150 ...

I don’t think barthod is that inaccessible, it’s more that it’s mostly out of the OPs price range.

Ok, to my taste then. They always strike me as way more savory and structured vs enjoyable with silky obvious fruit on release that a newbie would appreciate.

While it’s also out of the OP’s requested price range (though not by that much), Barthod and de Vogue are probably the most structured Chambolle producers.

I’m not a wine “newbie” rolleyes, I am looking for experience with aged burgs. That was the whole point of my question, I’m looking for an open and resolved burgundy. certainly some vintage of Barthod out there must be accessible? They might not be in my price range, but as we know how deep your pockets run has little to do with taste preferences. The statement could have read, Barthod is not for thin pocketbooks? Might be apt as the only Barthod I’ve consumed have been Bon Batons.

07 barthods would probably be accessible and nice.

Personally, I’m not at all sure her 07s, let alone her 97s would accessible and nice. Why gamble that a Barthod might be? I would strongly suggest getting wine from a producer who’s style is not so structured.

I had an 07 charmes last year that was drinking well. I agree barthod isn’t the best producer to chase in this price point though.

Josh G has the right idea - get together and taste with friends. I had a 90 Drouhin Clos des Mouches courtesy of a neighbor not long ago that was especially delicious. Or maybe to attend an event like La Paulee… whenever that happens again.

For my own coin, Gevrey-Chambertin has become a consistent place to search. Pierre Gelin has made some fantastic wines in 2015 (from GC and Fixin), along with Harmand Goeffroy (mentioned above) that tend to clock in from $50-150. These are really high QPR wines. I can’t speak of their potential to age, but Howard has also suggested Rossignol Trapet as a nearby producer with a long record. Fourrier of course is a board fave producer but may push your limit dollar wise.

Kieth makes some fantastic suggestions (which I’m going to seek out on my own). JF Mugnier’s 1ere Marechale is classic, as are Courcel and Comte Armand’s Epeneaux. For my taste, Gouges wines are sort of archetypal for NSG, but I find them a bit tough and feral on release. You’d need an old bottle to really fall in love.

Good luck in your search!

Newbie wasn’t directed at you Robert! I was thinking about Maureen’s comment in response to your question. Edit - I see John mentioned Fourrier; the one or two bottles of that I’ve had seemed like a good counter-example to Barthod, much more accessible on release.

No worries at all Stan,
it was in her original comment which I didn’t understand whether I’m a newb or not. [drinkers.gif]

I actually quite like structured wines with lift and acid in general. I’m trying to figure out when might be the best window for me to drink red burgs, hopefully without aging them past my preference. That’s why I’m looking for some fully mature examples to sample before I go too far down that road.

My appreciation once again for the discussion as it will undoubtedly help me learn and gives me many leads to go with.

I inferred from your original post that you have been into wine for a while but not burgundy (despite cellaring some - I get that - i started cellaring red wine before I actually liked it, figuring that by the time the wines were ready I might like them). But as others have pointed out, Barthod is not among the most accessible or charming of producers. Hell, I’ve been drinking Burgundy for over … well let’s say for a really long time and I’m not sure I fully appreciate or “get” her premier crus (her bourgogne is another story). A producer that makes both more affordable and more readily delicious wines in your requested price range is Chevillon, for example.

to Keith Levenberg,

I don’t think I’ve ever had a Courcel on release, but I’m not a fan of young Burgs. I personally no longer qualify as young. I think I’ll pick up something young from a ripe, easy vintage (2016 makes sense?) and see if I can learn something.

Thank you.

Dan Kravitz

17 would make more sense.

I’m going to do the same and check out a 17. But not with a $150 bottle

grouphug

Just depends if you like young burgs. I opened Fourrier Gevrey VV and have 0 regrets. I bet Clos de Marechale is delicious now. I wouldn’t open a Roumier or Barthod Cras tho.

Yup…

It certainly was a couple of months ago, in a blind setup (not only young burgs).

I think one good way to learn about Burgundy (probably most wine regions) is to try a mini-vertical.

For example, take a producer like Hudelot-Noellat. Drink a wine from him (say Vosne-Romanee or Chambolle Musigny or Vougeot Premier Cru) from 2016 or 2017 and one from say 2010 or 2012 and compare them. Even better, do four wines, doing the 2 vintage comparison with two of the vineyards.

Can do similar things with a number of producers.

17 Mongeard Mugneret Echezeaux. 15 or 16 Mugnier Marechale, 15 Tawse Gevrey villages (way less than $100). Just a few but it really is about bridging the gap of what you currently enjoy drinking and moving into Burgundy in palate increments. Learn the Burgundy regions and drink them young to start.

I agree that is a little surprising. His 2002 Dominode just became drinkable around 2 years ago, it was hard as nails before then. It is now a lovely drink, but with no secondary development. I would guess it will be drinking well for at least another 5-10 years ?