What`s the best Champagne rose under $100?

I’m no expert in this arena, but this wine is terrific.

A quick baker’s dozen that are sub $100 and haven’t been mentioned above:

• Vintage Drappier Grande Sendree Rose
  • Vintage Louis Roederer Rose
  • Vintage Charles Heidsieck Rose
  • Vintage Veuve Clicquot Rose
  • NV Jose Dhondt Rose
  • NV Pierre Peters Rose for Albane
  • NV Perrier-Jouet Blason Rose
  • NV Jacques Picard Rose
  • NV or Vintage Deutz Rose
  • Vintage Henriot Rose
  • NV Benoit Lahaye Rose de Maceration
  • NV Jean Laurent Rose
  • NV Pehu-Simonet Rose

Also, for those of you who have tried the Rene Geoffroy Rose de Saignee, give the Blanc de Rose a try as well (if you haven’t tried it). Very different from the Rose de Saignee with more finesse and elegance due to the Chardonnay.

1 Like

The Billiot is our house Rose.

Agreed, I’ve had a couple vintages of this and love it.

Not sure you will beat this.

I bought 6 Marc Hebrart rose NV recently to fill out a case. Excellent rose that was well under $50.

I’ll also second the Roederer: I bought some 2005 rose that is really good and was also about $50

One more-Vouette et Sorbee Rose.

And Roberto, Aubry Brut Rose. Great value.

Veronica, great recs; I sense I`d like all of the above. Appreciate it.

Brad- you kind of filled in the blanks; the Geoffroy Blanc de Rose is new to me; Im on it; this is going to be more fun than I thought; Ive got a lot of choices and will explore many.

Howard- you may be right; the Ruinart will continue to be a member of the “house” bubbly.

Paul Bara Special Club 2004 is the best.
Pol Roger 2002 is the runner up
Veuve Clicquot 2004 is a worthy contender.

Roederer 2007 is ho-hum. But you should get the truck fired up as the 2008 may be arriving soon.

N.V. Charles Mignon Champagne Comte de Marne Grand Cru
N.V. Camille Savès Champagne Brut Grand Cru Rosé

Frank,

I love Bara’s wines, but have been underwhelmed by their Special Club Roses so far. I actually prefer the NV Rose to the Special Club and it is less money too. I do think the Special Club Rose has class and is amazingly elegant for a Bouzy Rose, but I miss the power that the rest of the range shows. That said, I can understand its appeal as it is quite different from the rest of the Bara range.

I just had a bottle of Eric Rodez NV Rose ($60) last week and it was awesome, but good luck finding any. I also like the Chartogne-Taillet NV ($50) and of all the selections already mentioned I’d say the Camille Saves is the way to go.

Sad to hear, I’ve had the 03 and 04 (IIRC) and both were really nice.

Another vote for Maillart.

(full disclosure - i used to work for Maillart’s importer)

Another vote for the Vilmart Cuvee Rubis. Brilliant stuff.

ours, too.
alan

Oh yeah, Vilmart Rubis is awesome. The vintage is now north of $100, though.

Funny how times have changed. Go back five or ten years ago and Billecart-Salmon’s NV would have been mentioned a dozen times by now. I still find it to be a really good Rose and almost mentioned it, but it just falls a tad short of “top Roses in my book”. The Billecart Rose of today while still good isn’t quite what it once was (grapes this once saw now go to other cuvees).

Brad,

I’m not sure if the importer change had an effect on price or if it’s just a standard mix of currency valuation and correlated regional price rise based on demand, but 5 years ago you could still find Billecart Rose at $50 vs. a current price of $65-80 depending on place and availability. Combine that with a IMHO quality drop and I don’t know why any wine lover would recommend it. Veuve and Moët on the other hand are tough to keep in stock. Belch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wicked Cool!