What`s the best Champagne rose under $100?

Egly-Ouriet Brut Rosé Grand Cru

Camille Saves
Pierre Peters
Vouette et Sorbee
Andre Beaufort

clouet rose

As stated in my original post, the NV Billecart Rose has been on my house Rose list, but it has not shown as well of late and now I know why. Thanks Brad for sharing that info. All I`ve had were bought a few years back and a recent restaurant purchase came off as a Rose Light.

This is just to say thank you to all of you who offered suggestions. The response was truly remarkable.

As a result, I have already purchased more NV Ruinart Rose, NV Gosset Rose, NV Paul Bara Rose and have 3 others in the process and more to consider.

Life is good and even better with fine Champagne.

Total Wine is the Wal-Mart of wine shops…

They’re everywhere and have guaranteed low prices?

One of my favs is the
NV Laurent-Perrier Cuvee Rose Brut

It’s $60 at the LAWineCo.

Local bottle shops are everywhere too. There is Cheese Wiz and then there is your local cheesemaker, there is Budweiser and there is your local brewery, there is Total Wine and there is your local bottle shop. Somewhere on the spectrum of local to corporate WE become nothing more than ‘consumers’.

It’s merely an equation of it is worth saving a few bucks as a ‘consumer’ or supporting REAL people conducting business with other people.

You have a choice of where you spend your money.

I think most wine drinkers think of themselves as more than just ‘consumers’…

There is arrogant, preachy elitism, and there is tolerance for different tastes and views.

It’s Cheez, BTW. And Whiz. As in “Cheez Whiz.”

Correct. You, on the other hand, do not have a choice of where I spend my money.

I don’t go to Total Wine that much (not very convenient), but from what I have seen around here, their prices aren’t all that great. And, you don’t really get that much help there. The latter is not a big deal for many on this board, but for most people, they are better off with a good wine shop - better to get a really interesting $15 bottle than a mediocre $20 bottle on sale for $15.

Total Wine is the antithesis of ‘terroir.’

Not mentioned too often, but Lenoble does a very nice job if their 2002 was indicative of their QPR. Mike

We had a passionate employee take a job with TW at a raise plus management path and then he quit within a month as he said that half the store was house labels and that they were reprimanded if they recommended anything else.

That’s the story I’ve heard as well. Lame.

Just now a woman asked about Adler Fels wines. I remember them as being respectable stuff in the mid $20’s a while back. Now they are under $10 and Wine Searcher says you can pretty much only get it at TW:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/adler+fels/1/usa

Franck Bonville Brut Blanc de Blancs
$30
Not the most amazing but a good performer for that price.

Roederer Vintage Rose is generally pretty reliable, and under your price point.

Also, what’s the deal with all the Total Wine nonsense? Are people seriously getting testy about another’s opinion of total wine? Robert Fleming, do you have a major ownership interest in the shop, are did you consider it a personal attack that someone dressed down a store you visit on occasion?

It’s a major chain liquor store. It has good prices on some wines, some liquor, and some beer. It is also a “house label” store as has been discussed on this site repeatedly. The business model is to house label a huge number of wines, put a limited number of recognizeable labels, act like your helping the unknowing consumer and sell them house wine at a huge margin. That allows Total Wine to shave margin on other wines. Does the unknowing consumer get boned every now and then (or frequently)? Probably so. Does the wine geek from this site get rolled? Probably not often, if ever. Is it the antithesis of terroir?

It’s a store. What the hell does that bologna even mean anyway? Total Wine sells some pretty damn terroir driven high end wine (I’ve bought it). I just don’t get the animosity and personal positions being taken about a mega-store like Total Wine (or Wal Mart, for that matter).

Since you asked:

I have no interest in Total Wine. I have never set foot in a Total Wine store, but that’s a function of opportunity more than choice.

Personal attack to “dress down” a store? No. Political statement to say “Total Wine is the Wal-Mart of wine shops”? Yes, IMO. Nothing wrong with that - in the Politics forum. But it has no place in thread about rosé Champagne.

Personal attack to stand in judgment [see post #49] of those who choose to shop at Total (or Wal-Mart, for that matter)? Yes, IMO, and that’s what chapped my ass.

Nor do I. That’s exactly what I reacted (perhaps overreacted) to. But only after a bit of very gentle chiding [see post #47] didn’t work.

Sorry, guys! Please forgive the [soap.gif] ‘disturbance’. No hard feelings, I hope! Now, back to the regularly scheduled program:)

My vote for under $100 Rose goes to: Larmandier-Bernier’s NV Extra Brut Rose de Saignee, about $65 retail in Portland, OR, when you can find it. Dry, rich, bold and unrelenting yet at the same time with great elegance and cut.